No announcement yet.

A Message From Valve's Gabe Newell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guys, now there is four independent people who have e-mail's from Gabe with confirmation. Someone still doesn't believe?

Comment

• Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      Guys, now there is four independent people who have e-mail's from Gabe with confirmation. Someone still doesn't believe?
      No, there are 4 independent ppl who have said they have emails from gabe, means jack shit really.
      Only thing we have that is proof is Valve saying they are not working on linux - NOTHING has been provided to counter this hard statement. The only way to counter a hard statement like this from Valve is another hard statement from Valve, not some random statements from random people on the internet AND even less from a "news site" who has a history of spinning hearsay

Also it is the 1st of April

As mentioned citable information from a Valve controlled domain really is the only way to confirm this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naib View Post
        As mentioned citable information from a Valve controlled domain really is the only way to confirm this.
        Screenshot may be fake, you will doesn't believe anyway.

If you doesn't believe in words you may be believe in logic:
        http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...609#post256609
        http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...626#post256626

By the way, it's maybe sound's funny, but I also have a source (one of pubslishers who work with Valve) who confirm to me for last two years "working on Steam for Linux is not cancelled and not stopped". Sure, doesn't believe in this my words is your right.

Comment

• I'll be out at the Valve offices in about three weeks. Hopefully will be permitted to do a brief video there with confirmation and other Linux details.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
            Screenshot may be fake, you will doesn't believe anyway.

If you doesn't believe in words you may be believe in logic:
            http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...609#post256609
            http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...626#post256626

By the way, it's maybe sound's funny, but I also have a source (one of pubslishers who work with Valve) who confirm to me for last two years "working on Steam for Linux is not cancelled and not stopped". Sure, doesn't believe in this my words is your right.

It is still just statements on the internet. No actual citable proof and thats the point. This is the difference between an educated guess/prediction and reporting news - what is being peddled here? you decide but history dictates
            We have been down this road before, 2years ago infact which was paved with Michael belittling ppl that didn't think STEAM/SOURCE was coming "this summer" THAT only stopped when Valve made a press statement stating

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/23/v...-in-the-works/
            Valve denies having a Linux version of Steam in the works
            By Paul Miller posted Aug 23rd 2010 3:09PM
            This is citable and is viewable by anyone else. Saying "I have received and email confirming foo" isn't providing proof, it is making a statement, a statement that cannot be independently confirmed.
            It is because we have been down this road before, been belittled by Michael in the "news" articles written here for not believing him that it was coming "this summer" (that was 2years ago btw... oh look what didn't come...)

so put up or shut up.
            Last edited by Naib; 04-01-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

so put up or shut up.
              Send e-mail to Gabe and shut up, ok?

Comment

• I'm not the one making the claim. Its common practice for those making claims to back them up. An in-passing "I has email" is not proof, it is a statement

Comment

• Everyone who still doesn't believe. Be polite, be nice, don't be stupid and write a mail to Gabe.

It is a fucking sunday and he actually answered me with details.

Comment

• Actually, my personal theory so far is that Valve was really annoyed back then
                    when Michael played up all the facts and made a huge deal about it,
                    requiring them to put an end to it all themselves.
                    So, when thinking up what they'd be up to this years 1st of April,
                    they remembered that story and thought this was the ideal chance to
                    pay back big time. I believe, in fact, that this will turn out to be the biggest
                    trolling of the linux community, and especially Micheal, in years.

So far we've got:
                    (things that "kind of" suggest it's the real deal
                    - A few emails (which I'll just assume to be genuine) that don't really say anything straight
                    - Possibly some more email material that Michael can't tell us about yet

(things that support the "it's a joke"-view
                    - this
                    - and this
                    - lastly, the simple fact that all these mails came in shortly before April 1st

Comment

• Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                      Everyone who still doesn't believe. Be polite, be nice, don't be stupid and write a mail to Gabe.

It is a fucking sunday and he actually answered me with details.
                      You're free to share the details with us if being polite is the only requirement to get them...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                        I believe, in fact, that this will turn out to be the biggest trolling of the linux community, and especially Micheal, in years.
                        I believe it's just another example of Valve Time. Not so big like "Team Fortress 2 soon", sure.

Comment

I'm not the one making the claim. Its common practice for those making claims to back them up. An in-passing "I has email" is not proof, it is a statement
                          email sent to gaben@valvesoftware.com:

You may have heard of an article on Phoronix claiming you contacted
                          them about a Linux developer. Is it true that you contact them?

And does this mean you are considering a linux port of Steam/source?
                          email received back:

Yes, we are talking to Phoronix.

The issue we are dealing with is speeding up the performance running on Linux.
                          Unfortunately Naib (do you play HoN by the way?) there's really no way to "prove" an email. Headers are child's play to fake and he didn't exactly sign it with his private key. I recommend sending an email yourself and seeing if you get a response!
                          Last edited by KameZero; 04-01-2012, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• To be honest, if Valve were really seeking Linux programmers, do you really think they'd turn to phoronix? I mean given the course of history everyone knows that phoronix would post some populistic article about it. Wouldn't a serious company just post, you know, a job offer, as everyone else does?

Comment

• Originally posted by KameZero View Post
                              email received back:
                              Yes, we are talking to Phoronix.
                              The issue we are dealing with is speeding up the performance running on Linux.
                              You asked them if they were working on Source for Linux. They did not answer the question.
                              Instead, they said something which could really be interpreted as anything.

Don't you guys frickin' get it? It doesn't matter at all if the emails are genuine or not.
                              Just check every single correspondence which was posted in this thread.
                              Never, not a single time, did they actually say ANYTHING about porting
                              either Source or Steam. When they reveal it's all a huge joke,
                              they'll still be able to say "y u mad bro? did we ever say anything about bringing
                              our games to your platform?". And you're all gonna look really stupid then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                                Never, not a single time, did they actually say ANYTHING about porting either Source or Steam.
                                http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...813#post256813
                                http://steamforlinux.com/?q=node/23

Comment

Working...
                                X