Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Linux Game That's Still Not Selling Well

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    the other dev uowaep seems nicer: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index...2#post-1999806

    Comment


    • #12
      I'm not a marketer, but I play one on television, so...

      If these guys want to sell more copies, then I suggest they make a better video for their game's website. Here's what I got from the video:
      • Dull, repetitive level design.
      • Only three weapon types shown, bomb, sword, and fireball, of which only sword and fireball are used.
      • Only three enemy types shown.
      • Underwhelming enemy AI. These enemies look like a bore and a grind, rather than a challenge.
      • Over-the-top damage blur effects used so often that they do not heighten tension, they just make it hard to see.
      I realize that this is an alpha and it's not finished yet. I realize also that you can't edit together the "best hits" and still call it a gameplay video. But you definitely should have prominently showcased a trailer instead, and put the gameplay video on another page. As it is now, the video doesn't make the game look very good. I got bored before the video was over, and the video isn't even that long.

      Comment


      • #13
        I actually checked out tomes via the video preview and wasnt impressed with it sure i know its an alpha and things will be changed before final release but it wasnt enough to make me open my wallet for the game, on the other hand i did purchase their first ever DLC for Steel Storm and contributed to Steel Storm 2 development. Also i think they need more of a PR puah on that game i was not aware of Tomes being developed it was only because i visited their store to purchase the DLC that i became aware they were doing another game besides Steel Storm 2. They didnt even advertise the game via the newsletter email sent out to advertise the Steel Storm DLC

        Comment


        • #14
          Could it actually be that that Tomes of Mephistopheles looks like shit, a concept not many ppl are interested in? nop gotta be zero coverage...
          If Kot In Action wanted coverage on Phoronix they should have said Tomes of Mephistopheles will use SOURCE and there may be a linux client.

          Comment


          • #15
            tried to see screenshots or a video and all i get is a tiny black window in the middle of the screen. a crappy website is no way to sell something.

            Comment


            • #16
              Read the posts of uowaep, his reactions to the crowd answers are really great! Maybe he should take PR part?

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
                I'm not a marketer, but I play one on television, so...

                If these guys want to sell more copies, then I suggest they make a better video for their game's website. Here's what I got from the video:
                • Dull, repetitive level design.
                • Only three weapon types shown, bomb, sword, and fireball, of which only sword and fireball are used.
                • Only three enemy types shown.
                • Underwhelming enemy AI. These enemies look like a bore and a grind, rather than a challenge.
                • Over-the-top damage blur effects used so often that they do not heighten tension, they just make it hard to see.
                I realize that this is an alpha and it's not finished yet. I realize also that you can't edit together the "best hits" and still call it a gameplay video. But you definitely should have prominently showcased a trailer instead, and put the gameplay video on another page. As it is now, the video doesn't make the game look very good. I got bored before the video was over, and the video isn't even that long.
                Exactly, you hit the nail there.

                i also think crowdfunding site would definetly help.

                Is not just about coverage , is about learning to market your stuff real good.

                Your ad can be on the Superbowl, but if its not done right is not gona do crap for your sales.

                and they cant blame linux users, am sure we've shown more interest in giving them a hand than other users from other platforms who usually dont give a **** about indies and focus on triple A titles.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Naib View Post
                  Could it actually be that that Tomes of Mephistopheles looks like shit, a concept not many ppl are interested in? nop gotta be zero coverage...
                  If Kot In Action wanted coverage on Phoronix they should have said Tomes of Mephistopheles will use SOURCE and there may be a linux client.
                  How dare you besmirch Quake With Swords from Feces in Action*.

                  * http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/kot

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                    How dare you besmirch Quake With Swords from Feces in Action*.

                    * http://en.bab.la/dictionary/german-english/kot
                    You can go translate mist in german. Misty misty stars

                    Kot is russian and means Cat.
                    Other variants: Koto, Kotyara, Koshak.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Spock vs the entire jedi league of extraordinary gentelmens

                      Seriously, RTS is 90's technology.

                      Here we go 2012 and Linux developers still can't manage destructible environments.

                      You got Carmack trying to sell 90's doom technology with flat textures.

                      The only real game I'd buy is Red Faction. Why? Destructible environments!

                      Get Red Faction on Linux and you got a #1 release. Maybe port boy Ryan can coherece Volition into letting him give us some real shet for Linux.
                      Ps. Fighting games still sell mad.
                      FiN

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X