A New Humble Bundle Launches Today

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Yeah, because the humble bundle bundled before it was cool. Seriously, though, who cares? Anything that brings publicity to independent developers can't be a bad thing and backing up the game installers on your own really isn't that big of a deal.
    For me personally, the problem is that the Royale guys feed on the popularity of the original Humble Bundle,
    while not living up to its standards (crossplatform support for example).

Comment

The biggest problem with Indie Royale is that is it is not really that humble. No guaranteed cross-platform support, no charities, etc... so it is bound to seem like a crass rip off.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
        The biggest problem with Indie Royale is that is it is not really that humble. No guaranteed cross-platform support, no charities, etc... so it is bound to seem like a crass rip off.
        How else are "independent" studios going to reach the public eye? A bundle sale puts your game in front of more people than a few late sipping douches and their word of mouth ever will.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/co...oming_bundles/

Comment

How else are "independent" studios going to reach the public eye? A bundle sale puts your game in front of more people than a few late sipping douches and their word of mouth ever will.
          Umm... I am not sure, is that last bit directed at me? If it is, I am seriously laughing...

The problem here is the assumption that being an independent game studio necessarily means they deserve your support. They have to attract your interest, as you readily admit, but if they are not making a game that targets my platform I have no reason to care or even wish them well. I do not necessarily wish them any unwell, but why should I support them?

Indie Royale has not done enough for me to consider it worthwhile, and you can honestly question their motives.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            Umm... I am not sure, is that last bit directed at me? If it is, I am seriously laughing...
            Unless you are a hipster that only buys these because of the word "Indie" that has been slapped on, then no, it's not directed at you.

you can honestly question their motives.
            Developers have to eat.

Comment

Developers have to eat.
              Well, if you are an Indie developer, you are typically doing it because you want to make games. If you go into it expecting to make loads of money from it, you are going about it the wrong way. Certainly, if you are successful, you can earn a living from it. But that is not the way to go about it if you want to be successful.

This is what makes Indies unique, the fact that they are doing it primarily for the craft itself.

At the same time, they are still only making games, and as such do not deserve special treatment. You support them if you feel they deserve your support. Indie Royale does not qualify under those terms in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
              X