No announcement yet.

Open-Source Versions Of BioWare 3D Game Engines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One advantage of a new NWN engine is that it can have functioning movie clips on Linux (since FFMPEG supports the relevant Bink Video codecs AFAIK) which the official client does not have (because Bioware didn't want to pay the license for the Linux version of Bink I believe)

Comment

Originally posted by jonwil View Post
      One advantage of a new NWN engine is that it can have functioning movie clips on Linux (since FFMPEG supports the relevant Bink Video codecs AFAIK) which the official client does not have (because Bioware didn't want to pay the license for the Linux version of Bink I believe)
      Though you've been able to use nwmovies with the official client for some time: http://home.roadrunner.com/~nwmovies/

Comment

What's funny is I watched the new trailer to diablo3 and thought "wow, that looks a lot like neverwinter nights!"

Yes, this game coudl find life on arm platforms. etc.

Comment

How hard would it be to update nwnmovies to use FFMPEG to play the Bink Video directly (now that FFMPEG has a Bink decoder) instead of needing to use the closed-source binary Rad Game Tools player?

Comment

Originally posted by jonwil View Post
            How hard would it be to update nwnmovies to use FFMPEG to play the Bink Video directly (now that FFMPEG has a Bink decoder) instead of needing to use the closed-source binary Rad Game Tools player?
            Haven't tried it yet, but it should be trivial. nwmovies runs a perl script each time the game requests a movie. That script already supports using mplayer or plaympeg, and would be fairly easy to modify if you knew what you wanted to run with which arguments.

(The script is /nwmovies/nwmovies.pl)

Comment

Mass Effect

It's a pity that Mass Effect saga isn't on the list of games to support.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianLinuxero View Post
                It's a pity that Mass Effect saga isn't on the list of games to support.
                It might be because it uses an unrelated engine... Mass Effect runs on top of the Unreal Engine 3, according to wikipedia.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCycoONE View Post
                  Haven't tried it yet, but it should be trivial. nwmovies runs a perl script each time the game requests a movie. That script already supports using mplayer or plaympeg, and would be fairly easy to modify if you knew what you wanted to run with which arguments.

(The script is /nwmovies/nwmovies.pl)
                  Ok now I've tried it (via mplayer) and can say for sure it works. There is a lot more flickering at the start/end of movies on my system so you may want to disable all the splash videos at the beginning, but it works well for the longer videos.

diff for nwmovies.pl
                  47c47
                  < # $binkplayer = "";
                  ---
                  > $binkplayer = "";
                  163c163
                  < if ( substr( $key, -3 ) ne "bik" ) {
                  ---
                  > if ( 1 ) {

Comment

Working...
                  X