Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carmack's Reverse In Doom 3 Has Work-Around

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Since it's such a small change and the method is public, I bet someone will release a patch that "corrects" it (if for no other reason than to spite Creative). For all I know, it might even be legal to distribute such a patch. Didn't Freetype skate by for years on the "code in a non-executable form can't practice a patent" theory, or was that some kind of agreement with the patent holders?

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Ex-Cyber View Post
      Since it's such a small change and the method is public, I bet someone will release a patch that "corrects" it (if for no other reason than to spite Creative). For all I know, it might even be legal to distribute such a patch. Didn't Freetype skate by for years on the "code in a non-executable form can't practice a patent" theory, or was that some kind of agreement with the patent holders?
      it would be great if he "commented" the original lines. It them becomes a copywrite issue that under fairuse becomes another matter and LEGAL if he gives credit.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Xake View Post
        My understanding of Creative is that nowdays their cards are still quite solid, it is their drivers that is really, REALLY, bad.
        That said some people never seem to hit any problem with their cards/drivers.
        However all my Creative Cards has always worked better/been more stable with the "dumbed down" version shipped with windows then with their own drivers, if they even shipped drivers for that windows/card combination.
        And for linux the alsa drivers are quite solid, but you cannot use half of the features of your cards because Creative has not published the needed information, and their own drivers sucks. That is if you card are supported at all.
        Creative cards are, and have always been, overpriced POS built on cheapskate components. If you value audio quality, you don't buy Creative - it's that simple.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          Creative cards are, and have always been, overpriced POS built on cheapskate components. If you value audio quality, you don't buy Creative - it's that simple.
          Pretty much correct. Discrete sound cards died in 2000, giving up to build-in codecs. For those, who want crisp clear recording over analog inputs - buy audio interface.

          Comment


          • #15
            Where are software patents?

            Originally posted by kobblestown View Post
            And, of course, there should be no software patents.
            Where are software patents? I can only think of 4 countries: USA, Germany, Japan and Korea.

            Why must the idiocy of 4 be imposed by force to the rest of the world?
            To me, software patents do not exist, as should be for everyone else.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Artemis3 View Post
              Where are software patents? I can only think of 4 countries: USA, Germany, Japan and Korea.

              Why must the idiocy of 4 be imposed by force to the rest of the world?
              To me, software patents do not exist, as should be for everyone else.
              true but germany do only have hardware binding software patents.
              like Fat32 Microsoft patent or S3TC HTC patent.

              but yes you are right software patents are complete against the humanity-

              Comment

              Working...
              X