Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doom 3 Source Code Is About Ready To Go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by FreeGamer
    Steel Storm is based on the GPL engine Darkplaces, and its media license is even "almost" FOSS too with the CC-BY-NC-SA license. This makes it possible to use its engine enhancements (like a in-game editor, a really nice menu system, etc) also in other open-source games!

    I think this is actually not a bad compromise between trying to cover some expenses and still making open-source games, and that commercial efforts are not strictly incompatible with FOSS game development can be discussed here) It would be cool though, if they would consider a "ransom" design also, i.e. that the game becomes completely FOSS after a certain sum of sales has been reached.
    http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2010/0...en-source.html

    Originally posted by BlenderNation
    The game has never been released under GPL. Its released under proprietary license, which refers to CC and GPL (engine is GNU GPL v2, art assets CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0).
    http://www.blendernation.com/2010/09...orm-episode-i/

    I do not know if that clarifies everything though...
    Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 11-03-2011, 01:27 PM. Reason: Additional quote

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post

      Originally posted by BlenderNation
      The game has never been released under GPL. Its released under proprietary license, which refers to CC and GPL (engine is GNU GPL v2, art assets CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0).
      http://www.blendernation.com/2010/09...orm-episode-i/

      I do not know if that clarifies everything though...
      This is illegal. You cannot combine GPL'd code with proprietary code and release it under proprietary license. This is a clear violation of the GPL.

      Comment


      • #18
        So I guess this is about the game logic written in QuakeC? If so, they are free to license and distribute it as they see fit.

        (Unless it was based on GPL'ed QC, but that seems unlikely).

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
          This is illegal. You cannot combine GPL'd code with proprietary code and release it under proprietary license.
          Did they combine GPL'ed code with proprietary code?

          The author claimed that he is using a vanilla engine (which is GPL) and proprietary artwork and (scripted) game logic, which would be OK, as artwork does not constitute a derivative work.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
            This is illegal.
            Then where is the copyright suit?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
              The author claimed that he is using a vanilla engine (which is GPL) and proprietary artwork and (scripted) game logic, which would be OK, as artwork does not constitute a derivative work.
              That was my impression as well. I do not think scripted game logic affects the GPL either way. I know for a fact one of the reasons the Steel Storm developers picked DarkPlaces is they liked its scripting language, which is also why they are not really using their Unigine license as they do not have the same fondness for the one it uses.

              For example, if I make a program that requires a free software runtime environment, but that program itself is proprietary, does that constitute a violation? As far as I know, that is not the case. So I think they are in the legal clear.

              Comment


              • #22
                I think the main question is whether someone could reasonably (in principle) swap in a different implementation of the runtime (a la POSIX, libc, sh, Java, etc.). If so, there is no "requires a free software [or rather GPL] runtime environment"; it's just "requires some compatible runtime environment".

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
                  Sure the game data can be proprietary. But the makers of Steel Storm have also not released the game source code and are in direct violation of the GPL.

                  You are wrong on this.

                  The game code is not derived from GPL code, nor does it link to GPL code. All games for Darkplaces use QuakeC for game code, which is interpreted by the game engine.

                  If you were right, you'd be disallowed to play the original Quake release, the commercial mission packs or any non-GPL third-party mods in any open-source Quake engine.


                  This is (from my point of view) somewhat similar to how the GPL works at all for Perl. Or (more vaguely) how commercial software can work on a GPL operating system.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Hurray. But this announcement makes me feel very old. I remember all the years I waited for this game. And now the engine is considered to be of no further commercial value. That and the "Big 5-oh" looming less than 2 years away, makes me very happy for the rest of you. But excuse me while I go cry into my pillow. ;-)

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by sbergman27 View Post
                      Hurray. But this announcement makes me feel very old. I remember all the years I waited for this game.
                      Hey, seconded. Yes I was ten when it was released, but still, seconded.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Oh gosh, they did it!
                        GLSL 1.30 is ready! Ypee...
                        http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...896f4451d14de0

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                          Hey, seconded. Yes I was ten when it was released, but still, seconded.
                          Just wait 30 years. And you'll get yours! ;-)

                          Seriously, though. Enjoy the next 30 years. Being 48 is cool and all. But one of the things you learn is that you can never go back. Partially because the world changes. But mostly because you change. Which is fine. And usually an improvement. But the lack of a rewind button does become increasingly noticeable.

                          -Steve

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Drago View Post
                            Oh gosh, they did it!
                            GLSL 1.30 is ready! Ypee...
                            http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...896f4451d14de0
                            Damn, if there ever was an important post buried in nirvana, this is it.

                            Holy shit, this is awesome news! We need a Phoronix story on this ASAP!

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X