Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unigine Corp Tries To Lure Indie Game Developers

Phoronix: Unigine Corp Tries To Lure Indie Game Developers

Unigine Corp has updated its advanced multi-platform game engine. The Russian-based company has also announced an initiative to try to pull in more indie game developers into using this game engine for future titles...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Have they considered providing it for free to universities so students can develop games with it in games programming classes? That would definitely help get it out there.

By the way, where do we complain about the lack of Linux support in the starter version?

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
      Have they considered providing it for free to universities so students can develop games with it in games programming classes? That would definitely help get it out there.

By the way, where do we complain about the lack of Linux support in the starter version?
      This. They really should consider this.

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post

Would like to know both things too.
        I as a student and Linux user would like to use the Unigine Engine for some game classes. But it's still to much money...

With MSDNAA I get Windows for free and with UDK, CryEngine and Unity3D I get 3 high end game engines for free (and that not only for university).
        But I don't want to use Windows. So I'm stuck.

PLEASE!
        Unigine, please(!) consider something for us students and Linux people.

Just think about it:
        People already using your engine from non-commercial and student projects are highly likely to use your engine later in business-times and will bring you money.

PLEASE!

Comment

I'm about ready to create a feedrinse that removes all the unigine stuff off my phoronix feed. As much advertising as they get on this site I have yet to see what exactly they do help the linux gaming community.

Comment

What exactly do you want them to do? They provide an engine, they are about to release a game for Linux. If you want more games, risk your money and finance one. They are not a charity order or something to help the Linux gaming community much more than they do now.

Comment

I don't think this is a really big deal. The starter only has 3 months of update unless you can't afford to do otherwise you want more than that. Also any game developed with the Binary version of the SDK is pretty much guaranteed to run on the other Linux (unless you build custom DX only shaders) so as long as you can convince the game company that they are going to make more from linux customers than the extra licensing from unigine there shouldn't be any problems supporting a linux version.
              Of course it could be a PITA if you wanted to develop on Linux but in that case I suggest you talk to them direct.

BTW if anybody in Brisbane Australia would like to play with Unigine and has some programming experience pm me.
              Last edited by kayosiii; 05 October 2011, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I don't think indie devs should use unigine, not at this price and when the resulting games will require binary blobs and discrete graphic cards.

And thanks for mentionning feedrinse . Though I'll try to make something with the filtering feature of liferea...

Comment

If you want to do DirectX11/OpenGL4 level graphics and have a native Linux client for your game. I don't really know of any good alternatives to Unigine beside rolling your own.

Comment

As much as I like the fact that Unigine is russian and provides linux support, I see no difference between them and any other proprietary entity.
                    It can be they remove the linux support some day, just like epic - its up to them.
                    They could and they removed linux support from their starter version.
                    Its just that unigine, for most times, allows generation of linux binaries. So far their current corporate policy.

It is just that we, floss people, are always considered minority and considered that we can eat crap, hold mouth and enjoy. Just what AMD, Intel and partially nvidia usually do. Im sorry to dissapoint their expectations.

Comment

Working...
                    X