Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

id Software's Rage May Not Be Coming To Linux Soon

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    I tried the linux doom3 port and didn't succeed.
    sound lags by several seconds ; I have a choice of changing sound backend or disabling surround, but I end up with no sound.
    as a french user the game suffers from the "non QWERTY plague", meaning I would have to rebind all weapons slots. (same as in open arena actually, but here the console works)

    and lastly the game doesn't find config file so each run begins at 640x480 low with default options. this can probably fixed with a command line switch.

    I can go out my way by installing oss4 and/or removing pulseaudio, but I don't want to lose pulseaudio and recent alsa is the first decent driver I've had for my card.

    so I'll play it again with wine (none of these issues), hoping it doesn't crash at some level load.

    I agree, open sourced id tech 4 is exciting. if only for fixing those little issues.
    dearly missing is a Free half-life 1 engine.
    Last edited by grok; 08-05-2011, 10:08 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by grok View Post
      I tried the linux doom3 port and didn't succeed.
      sound lags by several seconds ; I have a choice of changing sound backend or disabling surround, but I end up with no sound.
      as a french user the game suffers from the "non QWERTY plague", meaning I would have to rebind all weapons slots. (same as in open arena actually, but here the console works)

      and lastly the game doesn't find config file so each run begins at 640x480 low with default options. this can probably fixed with a command line switch.

      I can go out my way by installing oss4 and/or removing pulseaudio, but I don't want to lose pulseaudio and recent alsa is the first decent driver I've had for my card.

      so I'll play it again with wine (none of these issues), hoping it doesn't crash at some level load.

      I agree, open sourced id tech 4 is exciting. if only for fixing those little issues.
      dearly missing is a Free half-life 1 engine.
      Or use osspd, and keep pulseaudio while still using oss for sound on native linux programs.......

      Comment


      • #18
        I don't care. It's gonna be an awesome game. Platform doesn't matter to me. Only the game itself matters.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by grok View Post
          I tried the linux doom3 port and didn't succeed.
          sound lags by several seconds ; I have a choice of changing sound backend or disabling surround, but I end up with no sound.
          Have you tried modifying your Doom3 launch script to set ALSA sound?

          exec ./doom.x86 +set s_alsa_pcm plughw:0 +set NumberOfSpeakers 2 "$@"

          Originally posted by RealNC View Post
          I don't care. It's gonna be an awesome game. Platform doesn't matter to me. Only the game itself matters.
          Yes... I'm going to grab it when it comes out and play it on Win7. No big deal to me. If a binary ever comes out for linux -- great. I'll probably have finished the game by then.

          I just see Windows as a gaming platform of sorts... same as PS3, Xbox, Wii, etc. I don't really need it for anything else. The only downside is the inconvenience of rebooting to flip between gaming and my other stuff.

          In terms of gaming, I don't see how linux provides any kind of advantage over Windows for either the developer or the player, so there really isn't any driving force to produce games for linux.

          Comment


          • #20
            yes I do the same

            .. playing it under windows is for me also the better option, because I generaly don't want proprietary binary only stuff in my linux-installation.

            So keeping this 2 worlds appart is a good thing, and because Nvidia dont support opensource linux drivers (not really) I buy AMD cpus and gpus anyway, so they would also no way to play such games when they come out with free drivers, and the blob is to buggy for me and again closed stuff ^^.

            So my final sollution will be 2 boxes one monster-machine for gaming, and one for linux power-saving, as example a zacate + ssd ^^ thats fast enough for all but gaming And both should have a working suspend to ram mode and then I can switch easy without fuckin rebooting ^^


            +

            all the media files (musik...) on a nas with autobackup ^^

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by johnc View Post
              Have you tried modifying your Doom3 launch script to set ALSA sound?

              exec ./doom.x86 +set s_alsa_pcm plughw:0 +set NumberOfSpeakers 2 "$@"
              In my case, Doom3 worked just fine on my Audigy 2ZS 5.1 setup using NumberOfSpeakers 6.
              However, As I recall Doom3 port had issues with sound and required a lot of mocking around with the supplied openal.so to get working sound, while Quake4 and ETQW more-or-less worked out of the box. (I bought all of them once the Linux port was out).

              - Gilboa
              DEV: Intel S2600C0, 2xE52658V2, 32GB, 4x2TB + 2x3TB, GTX780, F21/x86_64, Dell U2711.
              SRV: Intel S5520SC, 2xX5680, 36GB, 4x2TB, GTX550, F21/x86_64, Dell U2412..
              BACK: Tyan Tempest i5400XT, 2xE5335, 8GB, 3x1.5TB, 9800GTX, F21/x86-64.
              LAP: ASUS N56VJ, i7-3630QM, 16GB, 1TB, 635M, F21/x86_64.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
                Hopefully so, id software will not license id tech 5 engine out side Zenimax/Bethesda.

                http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/id-tec...ews-34053.html
                I think you're forgetting this is Zenimax/Bethesda we're talking about here. The guys who are more than willing to hand you their SDK so that you can make the game better for them, I suspect the only reason they don't open source the entire thing is that they don't own the engine, and so they leave you with a pseudo-open-source game by letting you have the SDK. Also Arkane Studios which is owned by Zenimax was allowed to opensource their Arx Fatalis engine a while back, If Id Tech 5 is written entirely in-house as usual, there is no reason they shouldn't be able to release the source.

                It actually wouldn't totally surprise me if Id Tech 5 will be the foundation for future Bethesda games, given that from what I've heard of it, RAGE happens to sound a lot like a certain other franchise that Zenimax picked up.... Coincidence? I think not!

                That being said I fully expect that when Id Tech 6 is released Id Tech 5 will be released as Open Source to the public. Zenimax just want's to monopolize on it's technological advantage with the Id Tech 5 engine. When Id Tech 6 is released Id Tech 5 will no longer have that advantage, thusly leaving no reason for them not to follow the tradition.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Rage's slowly changing 'yes', 'maybe', 'later' answers on native Linux are getting to me. The last idTech4 game on Linux was ET:QW in 2007, with the later games Prey2, Brink, and Wolfenstein all skipped over for Linux. Maybe id didn't touch those games, but I'm sure that a native Linux client could've been added to their licensing agreement for idTech4. I'm glad id Software switched their minds back to releasing the Rage mod tool id Studio. Hopefully it'll also get the Linux treatment too, since last I heard its only for Windows. I pretty sure I own all of id Software's games that run natively on Linux and hate to see my pre-order of Rage go unused for a long time.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by downer View Post
                    Rage's slowly changing 'yes', 'maybe', 'later' answers on native Linux are getting to me. The last idTech4 game on Linux was ET:QW in 2007, with the later games Prey2, Brink, and Wolfenstein all skipped over for Linux. Maybe id didn't touch those games, but I'm sure that a native Linux client could've been added to their licensing agreement for idTech4. I'm glad id Software switched their minds back to releasing the Rage mod tool id Studio. Hopefully it'll also get the Linux treatment too, since last I heard its only for Windows. I pretty sure I own all of id Software's games that run natively on Linux and hate to see my pre-order of Rage go unused for a long time.

                    tbf prey2, brink, wolfenstein were not done by iD (neither was ET:QW). the engine being linux-compat != linux client

                    I will still leave this game on preorder simply because while it is a pig to boot to windows I am after a decent fps to play. There still remains the possiblity (gooo TTimo if you read this) that it will come, just not a priority.
                    What is odd is the mac client has been downgraded that was a confirmed launch platform

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      thanks for the insights about doom3, though I wanted to make a point that grandma, joe and jane users won't be able to deal with it.

                      ubuntu has gotten mildly popular among some circles of students or low income people for instance, many don't have command line experience inherited from the MS-DOS and doom2 days (command line switches were the standard operating way for multiplayer on custom WADs )
                      they can and do use the stuff that installs and works right away (the default desktop and most distro-supplied software)

                      I suppose the biggest issue for game publisher is of commercial support

                      Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      So my final sollution will be 2 boxes one monster-machine for gaming, and one for linux power-saving, as example a zacate + ssd ^^ thats fast enough for all but gaming And both should have a working suspend to ram mode and then I can switch easy without fuckin rebooting ^^
                      +
                      all the media files (musik...) on a nas with autobackup ^^
                      this is nice!, but expensive. and still suffers from the separate desktops, suite of software etc. I had a dual boot but would only use windows (if only to keep my firefox tabs). there's almost everything in windows : ssh clients, open-office, abiword, evince, vlc, many open source games etc.

                      I do have a NAS as well, it's even hosting everything (has my former desktop HDD, and the desktop runs a 20GB HDD for the OS)

                      what I wish to achieve in an undefined future is running windows in a VM, with access to real graphics hardware via IOMMU.
                      an AMD motherboard with 970 or 980G chipset can do that. ideally I'd want output from dedicated GPU redirected to an IGP so that there's no need for a VGA switch or DVI switch.
                      Last edited by grok; 08-07-2011, 02:54 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Naib View Post
                        tbf prey2, brink, wolfenstein were not done by iD (neither was ET:QW). the engine being linux-compat != linux client
                        tbf Prey 2 hasn't been released on ANY platform yet so technically speaking it hasn't skipped any platform, yet. At this point it seems Linux clients for any of those are unlikely even looking ahead like with Prey 2 although you never now... they ported Prey to the Mac about a year after the PC version was released and then a year after that Ryan Gordon ported it to Linux.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by smoke.tetsu View Post
                          tbf Prey 2 hasn't been released on ANY platform yet so technically speaking it hasn't skipped any platform, yet. At this point it seems Linux clients for any of those are unlikely even looking ahead like with Prey 2 although you never now... they ported Prey to the Mac about a year after the PC version was released and then a year after that Ryan Gordon ported it to Linux.
                          Prey 2, uses heavily modified id Tech4, so don't count on Linux client.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Drago View Post
                            Prey 2, uses heavily modified id Tech4, so don't count on Linux client.
                            This is kinda getting off track about idTech5, but Prey, Quake 4, and ET:QW were also heavily modified idTech4 and not done by id and also all done by different studios and all on Linux. Therefore, I don't buy the idea "id didn't make it so it's okay if an idTech4 powered game is not on Linux" idea. That seems more like what free independent mod makers might do, and not a licensee spending millions over several years can do.

                            I originally meant to say that since Linux has seemed to remain small since 2007 around the time ET:QW was released, that buying large titles to play on Linux has also seemed to have lost steam.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by downer View Post
                              This is kinda getting off track about idTech5, but Prey, Quake 4, and ET:QW were also heavily modified idTech4 and not done by id and also all done by different studios and all on Linux. Therefore, I don't buy the idea "id didn't make it so it's okay if an idTech4 powered game is not on Linux" idea. That seems more like what free independent mod makers might do, and not a licensee spending millions over several years can do.

                              I originally meant to say that since Linux has seemed to remain small since 2007 around the time ET:QW was released, that buying large titles to play on Linux has also seemed to have lost steam.
                              You know, from 2007 to end of 2011 expected consumer demands Prey 2 have to cover are much higher. So, more heavily modified engine needs to be. Don't get me wrong. I really do want Prey 2 with Linux client, I just don't believe that it will happen.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by downer View Post
                                Linux has also seemed to have lost steam.
                                Ironic choice of words there, my friend; intentional?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X