Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux FPS game project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux FPS game project

    I've been producing a FPS game/engine specifically for Linux (compiles also for Windows) since late last year. The project is starting to be in quite a good state already, so I decided to bring this up also here at Phoronix. I'm sure there are some people who would be interested in this sort of project.

    Link http://koti.mbnet.fi/~blender/glfps/

    The names of the engine and game are still open, although for now the engine is called Polyscape.

    The game idea is not at a very mature state yet, but what is sure is that this will be a realistic network FPS. For now, the goal is to release a test version that implements basic team based death match in a relatively large landscape setting. There is no real goal of a completely finished game, but the game development will be a continuous process, where new releases are frequently uploaded.

    There will be a more elaborate game idea later on, but the plans are still on the table. Most probably the game will be team based and very objective oriented. By "objective", I don't mean the well-known "place bomb etc.", but something more complicated and inspiring.

    I would be very happy to hear any comments and thoughts.

  • #2
    Any benchmark mode for it yet?
    Michael Larabel
    http://www.michaellarabel.com/

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Any benchmark mode for it yet?
      Nah . Not yet. With the newly added shadow mapping I get 30-60 fps in the forest map, that is shown in the latest images. I'm running it on i7 920 and GTX260, (Lucid Lynx). Without the shadows I get constant 60 fps even on three player network session. The shadow code surely requires optimizations.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by blender View Post
        Nah . Not yet. With the newly added shadow mapping I get 30-60 fps in the forest map, that is shown in the latest images. I'm running it on i7 920 and GTX260, (Lucid Lynx). Without the shadows I get constant 60 fps even on three player network session. The shadow code surely requires optimizations.
        That dont sound too bad for a start

        Im a big FPS gamer, so if you want some people to help with testing let me know and I will try to free up some time to help you out with it dude Also I might be able to get others involved if you like as I play with quite a lot of people online within a number of game servers!

        Drop me a PM if you require a hand with testing dude, I dont know how to code games, but I done a lot of alpha and beta testing so can help with that for sure!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by NathanielB View Post
          That dont sound too bad for a start

          Im a big FPS gamer, so if you want some people to help with testing let me know and I will try to free up some time to help you out with it dude Also I might be able to get others involved if you like as I play with quite a lot of people online within a number of game servers!

          Drop me a PM if you require a hand with testing dude, I dont know how to code games, but I done a lot of alpha and beta testing so can help with that for sure!
          Help with testing is highly welcome. I will upload the first version of the game after next week. I can
          then announce time windows, when a public server is running, since I cannot establish a full
          dedicated server yet.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm pleased to inform you that the first release is out for public testing.
            The website is at the moment at

            http://koti.mbnet.fi/b/blender/glfps/sphpblog

            where the news can be commented on.

            Comment


            • #7
              Just had a quick look, for a first release, seems like your off to a good start.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by storma View Post
                Just had a quick look, for a first release, seems like your off to a good start.
                Thanks .

                So you were able to run the game? I'm basically expecting problems on different
                platforms, as the game has only been tested on two platforms prior to release.

                Comment


                • #9
                  You said very professional,I will remember

















                  ________________________________________
                  perfect world gold,
                  buy perfect world gold,
                  cheap perfect world gold,

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I just uploaded a new version, which introduces a myriad of new features and improvements. Frankly the game starts to look and feel pretty good now, after one year of development. I hope that especially Linux oriented people will find this game unique in its kind and give it a run.

                    The project has now also a dedicated domain at http://www.perilouspenguin.com/glfps.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X