Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Frozenbyte Bundle Hasn't Breached $1M USD

Phoronix: The Frozenbyte Bundle Hasn't Breached $1M USD

There's just twelve hours left to the Humble Indie "Frozenbyte" Bundle #3. This is a collection of games from the Frozenbyte game studio that are multi-platform (Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X), are free of any Digital Rights Management restrictions, and you simply pay whatever you want for the collection of five games...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTM3OQ

I just bought the bundle. I gave about half to EFF because their awesome anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: The Frozenbyte Bundle Hasn't Breached $1M USD

There's just twelve hours left to the Humble Indie "Frozenbyte" Bundle #3. This is a collection of games from the Frozenbyte game studio that are multi-platform (Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X), are free of any Digital Rights Management restrictions, and you simply pay whatever you want for the collection of five games...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=OTM3OQ
      They only have 3 games available, so it really is not the same value as the previous ones. I am not surprised fewer people are interested.

Comment

I think this bundle just wasn't up-to-par, and honestly it feels like it was rushed: 1 game isn't ready, the other one is barely playable.

I hope this doesn't discourage other developers from participating on future bundles, but I think it just shows that you can't magically make $1M just from doing a bundle, you have to have good games, and not just concepts and promises for future ones.

Also, on the second bundle at some point they started offering the first bundle again together with the second, I feel that if they did the same with this one it would help a lot -- there are always lots of people who missed previous bundles and are interested).

Comment

This also shows that with more than 11$ of average payment, the linux user should be worth considering by games editors when they don't even stand an eye on a native linux portage for their games.

Seems that linux people are waiting to have their hands on quality games, just as Windows and MacOS users. And they are ready to pay for it.
          What else to say?

Comment

Since they are the only developer represented in this bundle, they have earned 2x or 3x as much as any studio from the previous bundles.

I'd say that it was a great deal for them.

Comment

Well, of those games:
              • One doesn't exist yet (Splot.)
              • One can only be played on Windows with an Xbox 360 controller (Jack Claw.)
              • One of them is, let's be honest, not a very good game (Shadowgrounds.)
              • One of them is genuinely excellent (Trine.)
              I haven't played Shadowgrounds: Survivor yet, but if we're charitable and assume it's a good game, then you're really getting two games here.

The last bundle, you got four playable games and a dud, and it reached 1.8 million. So I'd expect this one to only reach 600,000. The fact that this is so much higher means, in my opinion, that this one did better than the last one.

Comment

disagree, both shadow grounds were not bad
                Second was far better than the first one. with it's dark atmosphere and overall it looked good.

But i didn't bother downloading anything else from bundle but Trine. Finished both Shadow grounds long time ago.
                Trine is excellent. i don like this sort of games but it is excellent.

It's a shame they were selling games in bundle that many people bought previously.

Comment

Okay, I'll try Survivor then.

Shadowgrounds seemed like it has a really good game buried in there somewhere, trying to get out. They had a good gameplay recipe to work with. And parts of the game (usually when you meet a new enemy type) are challenging and engaging... until you figure out the behavior pattern. After that it's like having the same old-school boss fight over and over again. I think that, instead of making enemies more challenging by giving them high-damage attacks and lots of hitpoints (not to mention throwing huge numbers of them at you,) they should have emphasized the enemy AI more and made the enemies more clever and more cooperative with each other. (Enemies could run away, regroup, then set up ambushes or try to flank you.) This would have given the game a lot more depth.

Comment

They're doing fine.

I agree with the other posters here. This just wasn't as interesting of a bundle. Trine looks very good. The rest are toss-ins. I gave about 1/2 as much as I did for the 2nd bundle, and I feel that was fair. I would have skipped this one completely, but I felt it was in the best interest of the whole concept to participate. The need to really take their time before doing another bundle, and they need to get multiple developers/studios involved. If the next bundle comes out and the games from this one are still not available, then there's no way I'm going to buy in again.

Comment

The fact that they decided that the bundle was selling well enough to give us the Trine level editor tells us that Frozenbyte is probably satisfied with the sales so far.

Personally, I've only started playing Trine, but I plan on trying out the Shadowgrounds games at some point. I do like Trine so far, although the enemies themselves are pretty easy to defeat. I often find myself getting hurt by the terrain more than the enemy AI.

I do seem to remember there being some weirdness with the licensing of the Jack Claw source which prevents people from doing a *nix/OpenGL port of the code (not that it's a complete game anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by MaxToTheMax View Post
                        Well, of those games:
                        • One doesn't exist yet (Splot.)
                        • One can only be played on Windows with an Xbox 360 controller (Jack Claw.)
                        • One of them is, let's be honest, not a very good game (Shadowgrounds.)
                        • One of them is genuinely excellent (Trine.)
                        I haven't played Shadowgrounds: Survivor yet, but if we're charitable and assume it's a good game, then you're really getting two games here.

The last bundle, you got four playable games and a dud, and it reached 1.8 million. So I'd expect this one to only reach 600,000. The fact that this is so much higher means, in my opinion, that this one did better than the last one.
                        This is pretty much all on how you look at it. I enjoyed both Shadow grounds, the splot demo was fun enough and will be released in a month or two. And jack claw SHOULD be done ported sooner than that (it already runs with keyboard and mouse by the way). Which makes it 3 playable games, a soon to be playable game, and a soon to be community driven game.

Do people not have patience anymore?

Comment

Hi guys,

Yeah we're happy about the sales, no question about it. There's a lot of ifs one can throw around but at the end of the day we have got enough to cover the remainder of Trine 2 development. So that's good.

Just to set some facts straight:

- Jack Claw can be played on keyboard & mouse now (v2, F1 toggles between kb/mouse and the gamepad)

- Jack Claw Linux/Mac ports are coming very soon - Mac is already up and running but has some crash issues and doesn't look as good, and Linux isn't far behind

- There's a playable teaser flash of Splot available from the bundle download page (but of course not the same thing as an actual game)

The source codes use a custom license, as these are our first source code releases ever and we weren't quite sure about how to do it, so we went the route we thought was safest for now. We may move Jack Claw to GPL later (SGs maybe not, but who knows).

I hope this helps. Also a big thanks to everyone who's supported this.

- Joel, Frozenbyte

Comment

No Intel support

Another point that you want to remember is that none of the games will run on Intel graphic cards. I'm one of the people that bought the bundle but can't play any of the games.

I'm not complaining too much though. I expect that I will buy myself a new desktop relatively soon and the I'll play the games at that time then. But I think that no Intel support shows in the drop in interest.

Comment

Originally posted by JoelFB View Post
                              Hi guys,

Yeah we're happy about the sales, no question about it. There's a lot of ifs one can throw around but at the end of the day we have got enough to cover the remainder of Trine 2 development. So that's good.

Just to set some facts straight:

- Jack Claw can be played on keyboard & mouse now (v2, F1 toggles between kb/mouse and the gamepad)

- Jack Claw Linux/Mac ports are coming very soon - Mac is already up and running but has some crash issues and doesn't look as good, and Linux isn't far behind

- There's a playable teaser flash of Splot available from the bundle download page (but of course not the same thing as an actual game)

The source codes use a custom license, as these are our first source code releases ever and we weren't quite sure about how to do it, so we went the route we thought was safest for now. We may move Jack Claw to GPL later (SGs maybe not, but who knows).

I hope this helps. Also a big thanks to everyone who's supported this.

- Joel, Frozenbyte
                              Thanks for the reply, i paid around 20 for the pack and whilst trine is a fine game, this bundle really doesn't stand up to the first as there are only three working games.

And to be fair the games of the second bundle haven't been finished yet like cortex command. I think that the bundle guys are burning out the good will they generated.

Also seeing as you have sourced the games will you consider putting them into the ubuntu software centre?

Comment

Working...
                              X