Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Source Engine On Postal III Is Still Coming To Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Sounds like RWS is working on porting the Source engine to Linux. If Valve already had a version for Linux, they wouldn't need to be doing that. So I'm taking this as a sign that Valve aren't readying it for Linux themselves.
    Nothing to do with Steam here. Which I also doubt it coming anytime soon, if at all.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by mirv View Post
      Sounds like RWS is working on porting the Source engine to Linux. If Valve already had a version for Linux, they wouldn't need to be doing that. So I'm taking this as a sign that Valve aren't readying it for Linux themselves.
      Nothing to do with Steam here. Which I also doubt it coming anytime soon, if at all.
      Thats my point. The Phoronix artical went all QQ that people didn't believe that SOURCE was coming to linux YET that was the one thing that was all but confirmed and that was when Postal3 was announced years ago to use SOURCE and come to linux. Thats a given

      What was in question was STEAM. Go look at past articles from Phoronix they are peddling that it is confirmed that STEAM is coming to linux. NOT ONCE is that confirmed.
      This article, and I quote,
      because this game is now being powered by Valve's Source Engine, and there still being many in disbelief that it's coming to Linux.
      As I have pointed out, SOURCE coming to linux wasn't really doubted.
      In the same artical to provide justification
      Some have failed to believe my reports that Valve is bringing Steam / Source Engine to Linux,
      linking to:
      http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...uncement&num=1
      with the headline:
      It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

      See that, Phoronix peddling two statements (and using this old article as proof "they were right" for this present artical)
      The 1st being STEAM Not once has this been confirmed, not once in the 9months! and the funny thing is this new artical (which then uses the old as reference) actually shows that STEAM isn't coming to linux before May. So the most optimistic statement that can be made is that the original artical about STEAM coming to linux jumped the gun by over a year, and that assumes it then arrives just after May.

      The 2nd SOURCE well yup RWS and Postal3 confirmed that.

      SOURCE does not mean STEAM

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by mirv View Post
        Sounds like RWS is working on porting the Source engine to Linux. If Valve already had a version for Linux, they wouldn't need to be doing that. So I'm taking this as a sign that Valve aren't readying it for Linux themselves.
        Nothing to do with Steam here. Which I also doubt it coming anytime soon, if at all.
        That's an assumption.

        There's tons of coding that needs to get done for a game- and you might end up "patching" the engine as well.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          That's an assumption.

          There's tons of coding that needs to get done for a game- and you might end up "patching" the engine as well.
          True, sorry, I hadn't emphasised the "sounds like" part enough. With diddly squat from Valve on the matter of Linux though, I can't take a single game based off their engine as proof of anything.
          Cheers to RWS though!

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by mirv View Post
            True, sorry, I hadn't emphasised the "sounds like" part enough. With diddly squat from Valve on the matter of Linux though, I can't take a single game based off their engine as proof of anything.
            Cheers to RWS though!
            Indeed. It could mean just the game, or it could mean a bit more- you just can't tell until it happens. Main big thing here is that there's enough going for things that it's better to be just cynical enough to sit on the fence on this, rather than say "it ain't gonna happen"- too much smoke about right at the moment to say yea or nay on this.

            Comment


            • #26
              I agree, we don't know what's happening, but that makes Phoronix "reporting" on Steam/Source for Linux even more embarrassing. Because of that some people may still hold their breath thinking they'll be able to download and play Half-Life, L4D, Portal, etc through Steam on Linux, when it may only end up with Postal 3 being ported by a third party (I guess buying the engine allows you to do a port to whatever platform).

              There's no reason to think Valve would include the changes in their main engine, and even if they did for some reason (maybe as a bullet point for other licensees: "Cross-platform!") there is no guarantee they will release their franchise games for Linux, like what has happened with other games using id Softwares engines.

              No matter what happens, right now it's a joke and the possible nice surprise is ruined.

              Comment


              • #27
                *sight* feel like repeating myself.... well postal 3 is coming, nice! with source engine too? that's too sweet! Steam is quite doubtful, yeah we saw linux binaries (broken, bugged), we saw ppl bashing flaming, trolling, selling theirs panties and etc. But nothing proves that there isn't a possibility for it... If valve doesn't want a linux client for steam and source engine, why the heck they want/ed a linux programmer to port games to linux???? they do support Mac OS X when nobody knew that it was underway....

                Now, i ask myself, if Postal 3, powered by source engine, makes a good sell into the linux community will that help valve to make their mind? they did port their rendering engine to opengl (mc os x) though

                Comment


                • #28
                  Postal to Linux?! Mixed feelings about that...

                  Postal to Linux?! Mixed feelings about that...

                  I am very happy to see that there are some who invest into Linux gaming.

                  But, Postal?! Linux users may lose that ueber credit they have now, being relegated to slash fest nerds, an image that has been reserved for MS users.

                  Had it been Portal, then!!!

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by sabriah View Post
                    Postal to Linux?! Mixed feelings about that...

                    I am very happy to see that there are some who invest into Linux gaming.

                    But, Postal?! Linux users may lose that ueber credit they have now, being relegated to slash fest nerds, an image that has been reserved for MS users.

                    Had it been Portal, then!!!
                    If that were the case, we're pretty much doomed out of the box since Postal and Postal 2 have been ported to Linux as well...

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      If that were the case, we're pretty much doomed out of the box since Postal and Postal 2 have been ported to Linux as well...
                      Isn't one of the big appeals to linux are the "options"?

                      If they don't like playing Postal then they could always try Padman or http://www.lgdb.org/game/pink_pony

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X