Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New Video Highlighting Unigine's OilRush Game

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A New Video Highlighting Unigine's OilRush Game

    Phoronix: A New Video Highlighting Unigine's OilRush Game

    Two weeks back we published an exclusive preview of Unigine's OilRush as we happen to have access to the internal builds of this upcoming multi-platform, real-time strategy game. Besides that preview article where plenty of screenshots can be found, we also recorded a quick video of this oil-themed game. Now though Unigine Corp has put out a much longer (12 minutes) video that goes over this visually-intense game that will premiere with a native Linux client...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODk2Mw

  • #2
    Shit.. I can't hear anything he says

    Comment


    • #3
      I've added subtitles to the video (see "Transcript" feature on YouTube)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Micket View Post
        Shit.. I can't hear anything he says
        try turning up the volume.

        Comment


        • #5
          Looks like it turned out pretty good. From what I can see, the mechanics seem to be sound. I hope it's fun to play.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by binstream View Post
            I've added subtitles to the video (see "Transcript" feature on YouTube)
            Thanks! (lalala message limit)

            Comment


            • #7
              Some small items show in there, like boats going through icebergs and planes flying weird, but otherwise it's looking rather good.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by curaga View Post
                Some small items show in there, like boats going through icebergs and planes flying weird, but otherwise it's looking rather good.
                It's already fixed in unstable branch

                Comment


                • #9
                  The game environment looks beautiful, the HUD needs some work to compliment it better but for this early in development the demo is very impressive technically.

                  The game looks very simplistic with regards to base building which I quite like, Ground Control is hands down one of the best RTS games ever and it completely cut that bit out.

                  I hate to say it but the game concept as a whole seems some what boring and poorly contrived. I suspect the game will shine for multiplayer. To me it feels like Quake 3 when I wanted Half-Life. The Unigine guys are great and I am very pleased to see that they invest so heavily in gaming on Linux, they are however clearly engine guys though and not storytellers. It is still early though and they tend to be good at surprising me so time will tell if this game becomes a classic for other reasons than Linux gamers buying millions (HIB afterglow.. I'm allowed to optimism for a bit)

                  Hopefully they will start taking pre-orders soon. Between OilRush and Achron, I think I might finally have some good RTS fun which I haven't in a decades time.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    We are working on single-player storyline as well, don't worry =)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by binstream View Post
                      We are working on single-player storyline as well, don't worry =)
                      Excellent, now, when can I give you money? I am very fond of what Achron does by letting you buy into the alpha test, it is very fun to see the game evolve and get tweaked.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DavidNielsen View Post
                        Excellent, now, when can I give you money? I am very fond of what Achron does by letting you buy into the alpha test, it is very fun to see the game evolve and get tweaked.
                        Development of our online pre-ordering system has stuck because of holidays, I hope it will be ready in two weeks.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by binstream View Post
                          Development of our online pre-ordering system has stuck because of holidays, I hope it will be ready in two weeks.
                          You've got my money!

                          But ... is there a pause feature for single-player games?

                          I feel like the extreme levels of detail are partially wasted because you have to zoom out to get a nice strategic view of everything. I really wish that I could pause the action and zoom around and look at the tiny details on various units and the environment, just like you can do in Supreme Commander. Will that be a feature?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                            You've got my money!

                            But ... is there a pause feature for single-player games?

                            I feel like the extreme levels of detail are partially wasted because you have to zoom out to get a nice strategic view of everything. I really wish that I could pause the action and zoom around and look at the tiny details on various units and the environment, just like you can do in Supreme Commander. Will that be a feature?
                            There is a free camera mode during the pause. You can also adjust game speed in runtime (from x0.25 to x3.0).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by binstream View Post
                              Development of our online pre-ordering system has stuck because of holidays, I hope it will be ready in two weeks.
                              Hmm, what does preordering get you in terms of beta/alpha access?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X