Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Gaming: Native vs. Wine vs. Windows 7 Performance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
    As I see, you used 64-bit linux vs 32-bit windows. Try using 32bit vs 32 bit or 64bit vs 64 bit system. I have a feeling that 32bit systems are overall slower than their 64bit counterparts (at least it's true for my laptop).
    Read the article.

    On the non-Linux side was Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64

    Comment


    • #22
      Looking forward to the follow-up with DirectX apps (which I actually thought this article was about ).
      Anandtech ran a similar series of benchmarks a while ago, testing TF2, UT3 (oh the irony...), TackMania and EVE (unfortunately not the now dropped native client for the sake of comparison). Maybe test those to draw some parallels?

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by DoDoENT View Post
        As I see, you used 64-bit linux vs 32-bit windows. Try using 32bit vs 32 bit or 64bit vs 64 bit system. I have a feeling that 32bit systems are overall slower than their 64bit counterparts (at least it's true for my laptop).
        Can you give me the Windows 64bit version of Heaven ? No? lol

        I redid the test in 32bit so i'll reiterate, using these settings i get:

        Linux OGL 64bit ~ FPS: 33.3 / Scores: 839 / Min FPS: 22.7
        Linux OGL 32bit ~ FPS: 33.2 / Scores: 837 / Min FPS: 22.5
        Windows OGL 32bit in WINE ~ FPS: 33.1 / Scores: 835 / Min FPS: 22.6
        Windows OGL 32bit ~ FPS: 31.7 / Scores: 798 / Min FPS: 21.9
        Windows DX11 32bit ~ FPS: 30.6 / Scores: 770 / Min FPS: 20.9

        Happy?

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Read the article.
          I think he talks about Licaon's test.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Licaon View Post
            Can you give me the Windows 64bit version of Heaven ? No? lol

            I redid the test in 32bit so i'll reiterate, using these settings i get:

            Linux OGL 64bit ~ FPS: 33.3 / Scores: 839 / Min FPS: 22.7
            Linux OGL 32bit ~ FPS: 33.2 / Scores: 837 / Min FPS: 22.5
            Windows OGL 32bit in WINE ~ FPS: 33.1 / Scores: 835 / Min FPS: 22.6
            Windows OGL 32bit ~ FPS: 31.7 / Scores: 798 / Min FPS: 21.9
            Windows DX11 32bit ~ FPS: 30.6 / Scores: 770 / Min FPS: 20.9

            Happy?
            Michael's test system is using a completely different video card than you are. GTX460 vs 9800GTX. In particular, that means that the Heaven benchmark isn't using any tesselation on the old card.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Michael's test system is using a completely different video card than you are. GTX460 vs 9800GTX. In particular, that means that the Heaven benchmark isn't using any tesselation on the old card.
              I agree, i did not say anything about Tesselation as both the Linux and Windows versions got it anyway, just that on my system at 1920x1080/1200 the Linux version is actually a bit better than the Windows one, and even more the OpenGL version is better than the DirectX one.

              I'll redo some tests without Tesselation just to compare stuff.

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                your benchmark show us wine is not bad.
                Is not bad if you use opengl rendered in windows. Try direct3d and thing probably will go much worse.

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                  Can you give me the Windows 64bit version of Heaven ? No? lol

                  I redid the test in 32bit so i'll reiterate, using these settings i get:

                  Linux OGL 64bit ~ FPS: 33.3 / Scores: 839 / Min FPS: 22.7
                  Linux OGL 32bit ~ FPS: 33.2 / Scores: 837 / Min FPS: 22.5
                  Windows OGL 32bit in WINE ~ FPS: 33.1 / Scores: 835 / Min FPS: 22.6
                  Windows OGL 32bit ~ FPS: 31.7 / Scores: 798 / Min FPS: 21.9
                  Windows DX11 32bit ~ FPS: 30.6 / Scores: 770 / Min FPS: 20.9

                  Happy?
                  Yes

                  These results are very interesting. I tried on my GTX470 and windows results were better. I used the same settings as you, except that I set tessellation to extreme. But it could be a statistical error. I'll run more tests over the weekend.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    I'm officialy burned by Heaven, so on to the tests:

                    Linux 32bit OGL ~ FPS: 45.8 / Scores: 1154 / Min FPS: 28.6
                    Windows 32bit DX10 ~ FPS: 43.7 / Scores: 1101 / Min FPS: 26.0
                    Windows 32bit DX11 ~ FPS: 40.5 / Scores: 1020 / Min FPS: 24.8
                    Windows 32bit OGL ~ FPS: 40.2 / Scores: 1012 / Min FPS: 25.8
                    Windows 32bit DX9 ~ FPS: 36.0 / Scores: 907 / Min FPS: 24.1

                    ____________________________

                    Mode: 1920x1080 fullscreen
                    Shaders: high
                    Textures: high
                    Filter: trilinear
                    Anisotropy: 4x
                    Occlusion: enabled
                    Refraction: enabled
                    Volumetric: enabled
                    Replication: disabled
                    Tessellation: disabled
                    ____________________________________________

                    Binary: Linux 32bit GCC 4.3.2 Release May 20 2010
                    Binary: Windows 32bit Visual C++ 1500 Release May 21 2010
                    Operating system: Linux 2.6.36-2.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64 x86_64
                    Operating system: Windows 7 (build 7600) 64bit
                    CPU model: AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 450 Processor
                    CPU flags: 3200MHz MMX+ 3DNow!+ SSE SSE2 SSE3 SSE4A HTT
                    GPU model: GeForce GTX 460 PCI Express 260.19.29 1024Mb
                    GPU model: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 8.17.12.6590 1024Mb

                    The tests with Tesselation: normal are here: http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=12

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                      I agree, i did not say anything about Tesselation as both the Linux and Windows versions got it anyway, just that on my system at 1920x1080/1200 the Linux version is actually a bit better than the Windows one, and even more the OpenGL version is better than the DirectX one.

                      I'll redo some tests without Tesselation just to compare stuff.
                      The 9800GTX is a 512MB card, right? The way it nosedives at 1920x1080 in Michael's test makes me wonder if it's hitting that memory limitation. The only thing that's weird is that I'm a little surprised that the Windows OpenGL implementation wouldn't when the Linux one did, so perhaps that's not it after all.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X