Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Holiday Surprise: What's On My Linux Gaming Desktop?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Holiday Surprise: What's On My Linux Gaming Desktop?

    Phoronix: Holiday Surprise: What's On My Linux Gaming Desktop?

    It's now Christmas time at Phoronix with the appearance of some Linux "presents" starting to arrive. The end of 2010 started heating up for Linux gaming, but it looks like 2011 will be a fantastic year in comparison...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODkzMw

  • #2
    ...it's much better to enjoy these beverages when hot -- even steaming hot -- in cold weather rather than to put up with the short thermal half-life where it would be left for dead.
    WHAT?!?
    My allusion senses are tingling.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
      WHAT?!?
      My allusion senses are tingling.
      Yeah that caught my eye aswell.. Here's to hoping that steam will come to linux soon

      Comment


      • #4
        As much as all other steam linux "news" hasn't panned out, don't get your hopes up this time either - there was not even any steam news here, just a play on words, it doesn't mean anything.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mirv View Post
          As much as all other steam linux "news" hasn't panned out, don't get your hopes up this time either - there was not even any steam news here, just a play on words, it doesn't mean anything.
          True, still it's interesting to see that there is some changes going on like the linux client actually being uploaded again and the finding of the new headers. Not sure what to think but it looks like michael could be right as it seems wierd for valve to make an update to headers that include new linux related stuff, after they confirmed not making a linux client.

          Then again.. seeing that we're working with valve time and "they're not working on it right now", then it's what.. 2 years into the future?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by DonkeyDragon View Post
            True, still it's interesting to see that there is some changes going on like the linux client actually being uploaded again and the finding of the new headers. Not sure what to think but it looks like michael could be right as it seems wierd for valve to make an update to headers that include new linux related stuff, after they confirmed not making a linux client.

            Then again.. seeing that we're working with valve time and "they're not working on it right now", then it's what.. 2 years into the future?
            If a linux steam client comes, it'll come. Internally they've probably got stuff up & running on linux, and it gets leaked out sometimes - that's my take on it all.
            The real news here is on something more concrete - a better look and some impressions of oilrush coming soon. Unigine's shaping up to be a big deal for linux, so here's hoping that the first impressions are good.

            Comment


            • #7
              Michael,

              Code:
              man import
              next time, please.

              I understand you wanted to be a good photographer, but direct screenshots would have been a better viewing experience.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Michael,

                Code:
                man import
                next time, please.

                I understand you wanted to be a good photographer, but direct screenshots would have been a better viewing experience.
                Direct screenshots are coming as mentioned in the post... These were just quick photos I took to show it running on Linux and when I have the time and am done drinking Gluhwein I move onto the next work.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Psh. Shutter is way better for screenshots.

                  Awesome that you got an early preview, though! Can't wait for the beta signup announcement.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I hope that the interface style will be more refined in the final game. Don't really like the style of the buttons and other ui controls; they're okay for benchmarks and demos but not a polished gaming interface.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X