Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve's Alien Swarm Game For Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by Havner View Post
    Really, could someone from Phoronix give a statement why are you so sure that Steam is indeed coming to Linux? Cause you are like the only one in the whole internet that claims it with 100% certainty. Do you know something secret that the rest of the world is not aware of?

    Because those 'proofs' of you showing some linux ifdefs here and there (in Mac client f.e.) are not proving anything. It just meant that someone was playing with it. It might have been just some single developer that got too much of his free time.

    Making such statements all the time without ANY sort of proof is really bad journalism.
    i can confirm the linux steam clind from a second source so for me its true the linux steam clind is coming for linux.

    no i can not show you my second source.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
      i can confirm the linux steam clind from a second source so for me its true the linux steam clind is coming for linux.

      no i can not show you my second source.
      You should start your own tech website and milk that information for as many page views as possible. Works for Phoronix.

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by BlueKoala View Post
        I disagree.
        UT3 was fully intended to be released on Linux.
        Companies do not intentionally sink resources into something that will never see the light of day, unless strictly for research purposes.
        Apparently something went wrong with UT3 and we can only speculate what could have gone wrong.
        ut3 used techniques of openGL3+ in a time the only openGL version for linux driver was 2.1

        and ut3 used nvidia physX and 3 years ago physX do not run on linux.


        today you can play ut3 on linux with wine if you have openGL3.3+

        and this makes an port very easy today!!!!!! but 3 years ago wine also can not run ut3.

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by byteframe View Post
          You should start your own tech website and milk that information for as many page views as possible. Works for Phoronix.
          i'm happy about phoronix

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
            i'm happy about phoronix
            It's a great site otherwise. I like how he pumps up all the drama on the xorg/kernel/etc lists, but that isn't ethereal speculation. Incidentally, I turned off adblock for a second....damn....

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
              ut3 used techniques of openGL3+ in a time the only openGL version for linux driver was 2.1

              and ut3 used nvidia physX and 3 years ago physX do not run on linux.


              today you can play ut3 on linux with wine if you have openGL3.3+

              and this makes an port very easy today!!!!!! but 3 years ago wine also can not run ut3.
              Bullshit, three years ago I was able to get UT3 running under Linux with wine. While I had some lag, it was possible to play it.

              Comment


              • #27
                Did anyone in this thread consider they might be waiting for the OS ATI drivers to catch up?

                Comment


                • #28
                  Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                  Did anyone in this thread consider they might be waiting for the OS ATI drivers to catch up?
                  Well then, what about noveau? Seems they would only worry about catalyst.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    The thing here that gets me skeptical is the fact that there is no actual meat in this code. No X11 or GLX calls, nada. Companies like blizzard have had wine 'sandbox detection' present for a while now in games like WoW and StarCraft II (they can detect they're running under wine).

                    This code may be a similar sandbox detection routine, so that developers using tech similar to Blizzard's Warren (eg. : punkbuster) wont banhammer Linux users trying to play legitimately.

                    Theres one good thing that noone can deny about this code though: They acknowledge that we (Linux gamers) exist, and in number enough to warrant not completely ignoring us (if only in the wine 'sandbox').

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by Havner View Post
                      I might be willing to accept the bet. Just tell me why September? Do you know something? :-) (yeah, conspiracy theories)
                      I am joining the bet. You will get another 50$ from me if it won't be here until September 2011.

                      But it will.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X