Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve's Alien Swarm Game For Linux?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by mirv View Post
    and Wayland (nothing anyone can say means it _will_ overtake X or gain traction - all we can say is "it's possible, maybe in a couple of years or more"), it does make site less interesting.
    The difference here is that half of the core X.org developers are saying Wayland is the way to go in the future. The people who actually write the code and make the decisions about what to support and work on are leaning towards Wayland. That's a big difference than a corporate entity like Epic that might change its mind for non-technical reasons or basically unprovable sensationalist headlines from a niche news site operator. You can actually get on the IRC channels, mailing lists, and git repositories and watch Wayland move along both technically and socially. Can't do that for UT3 or Steam.

    Comment


    • #17
      Bullspit. There will be no Linux client for Steam. It's ok, wine is fine.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by BlueKoala View Post
        I disagree.
        UT3 was fully intended to be released on Linux.
        And Steam might be. I'm not questioning that. The fact is, we don't know. That's the whole point. Im not saying it won't happen. I'm saying that Phoronix claiming they know it will without giving a proof is just scam.

        Companies do not intentionally sink resources into something that will never see the light of day, unless strictly for research purposes.
        Of course. The key word is intentionally. Lots of project are not finished because various of reasons. And Steam on Linux might fall under those categories. It might be research as well as you wrote.

        The fact that linux references have been found on a recent steam game that was developed by Valve themselves is proof that they intend the game to be released on linux. Whether only internally or publicly is not what I'm debating. I'm just saying that coders usually have a QA process and I'm sure that this wouldn't have passed through if they did not intend the game to be released on linux. With all that being said, it only makes logical sense that this will be released to the public eventually.
        That's not that obvious. I am software developer myself, I know the process. It's not black or white. QA is failing very often. Besides, completely valid lines of code for Linux might not be considered bad quality just because there is no Linux client. We don't know their policy.

        I'm also certain that if valve had no intentions of releasing a linux client, they would have officially stated it by now. Instead we just see more hints of it coming to linux. I think it's very safe to ask oneself "when" the client will finally come.
        http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/23/v...-in-the-works/

        I think it may be as early as January 2011. I'm willing to bet 50$ US dollars with you Havner that by September 2011, there will be a Linux steam client out for public use.
        I might be willing to accept the bet. Just tell me why September? Do you know something? :-) (yeah, conspiracy theories)

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by elanthis View Post
          The difference here is that half of the core X.org developers are saying Wayland is the way to go in the future. The people who actually write the code and make the decisions about what to support and work on are leaning towards Wayland. That's a big difference than a corporate entity like Epic that might change its mind for non-technical reasons or basically unprovable sensationalist headlines from a niche news site operator. You can actually get on the IRC channels, mailing lists, and git repositories and watch Wayland move along both technically and socially. Can't do that for UT3 or Steam.
          Yes, Wayland is likely to be how things are - but we can't say it with 100% certainty. Might be something stopping it later, or it may be deemed unsuitable due to [insert whatever here]. Just learned to wait until things are in actual shape to start being widespread before claiming that everyone will adopt it.

          Comment


          • #20
            As the following been discussed? Ok, so even if Valve were to commit to Linux, that would mean only a small number of games (source and others) would be native. Would the Steam client then have to be able to call Wine to run the other games, or would the user have to have two copies of steam running, one for native, and one for wine games? Seems like a pain in the ass.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Havner View Post
              Really, could someone from Phoronix give a statement why are you so sure that Steam is indeed coming to Linux? Cause you are like the only one in the whole internet that claims it with 100% certainty. Do you know something secret that the rest of the world is not aware of?

              Because those 'proofs' of you showing some linux ifdefs here and there (in Mac client f.e.) are not proving anything. It just meant that someone was playing with it. It might have been just some single developer that got too much of his free time.

              Making such statements all the time without ANY sort of proof is really bad journalism.
              i can confirm the linux steam clind from a second source so for me its true the linux steam clind is coming for linux.

              no i can not show you my second source.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                i can confirm the linux steam clind from a second source so for me its true the linux steam clind is coming for linux.

                no i can not show you my second source.
                You should start your own tech website and milk that information for as many page views as possible. Works for Phoronix.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by BlueKoala View Post
                  I disagree.
                  UT3 was fully intended to be released on Linux.
                  Companies do not intentionally sink resources into something that will never see the light of day, unless strictly for research purposes.
                  Apparently something went wrong with UT3 and we can only speculate what could have gone wrong.
                  ut3 used techniques of openGL3+ in a time the only openGL version for linux driver was 2.1

                  and ut3 used nvidia physX and 3 years ago physX do not run on linux.


                  today you can play ut3 on linux with wine if you have openGL3.3+

                  and this makes an port very easy today!!!!!! but 3 years ago wine also can not run ut3.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by byteframe View Post
                    You should start your own tech website and milk that information for as many page views as possible. Works for Phoronix.
                    i'm happy about phoronix

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                      i'm happy about phoronix
                      It's a great site otherwise. I like how he pumps up all the drama on the xorg/kernel/etc lists, but that isn't ethereal speculation. Incidentally, I turned off adblock for a second....damn....

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                        ut3 used techniques of openGL3+ in a time the only openGL version for linux driver was 2.1

                        and ut3 used nvidia physX and 3 years ago physX do not run on linux.


                        today you can play ut3 on linux with wine if you have openGL3.3+

                        and this makes an port very easy today!!!!!! but 3 years ago wine also can not run ut3.
                        Bullshit, three years ago I was able to get UT3 running under Linux with wine. While I had some lag, it was possible to play it.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Did anyone in this thread consider they might be waiting for the OS ATI drivers to catch up?

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                            Did anyone in this thread consider they might be waiting for the OS ATI drivers to catch up?
                            Well then, what about noveau? Seems they would only worry about catalyst.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              The thing here that gets me skeptical is the fact that there is no actual meat in this code. No X11 or GLX calls, nada. Companies like blizzard have had wine 'sandbox detection' present for a while now in games like WoW and StarCraft II (they can detect they're running under wine).

                              This code may be a similar sandbox detection routine, so that developers using tech similar to Blizzard's Warren (eg. : punkbuster) wont banhammer Linux users trying to play legitimately.

                              Theres one good thing that noone can deny about this code though: They acknowledge that we (Linux gamers) exist, and in number enough to warrant not completely ignoring us (if only in the wine 'sandbox').

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Havner View Post
                                I might be willing to accept the bet. Just tell me why September? Do you know something? :-) (yeah, conspiracy theories)
                                I am joining the bet. You will get another 50$ from me if it won't be here until September 2011.

                                But it will.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X