Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Those Hoping To See UT3 On Linux This Holiday...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by madjr View Post
    this is probably good news, it was like duke nukem forever...
    However, DNF is about to be shipping...for real... So you're going to get people hoping...even now. (Sigh...)

    Unless they've got a big licensee wanting a Linux version for their UT3 title, that'll pay the money owed to finish it, it's not happening.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      That I imagine has more to do with EA acquiring Bioware then Bioware themselves.
      It's a bit different from things than that, but you're barking up the right tree there deanjo... Main reason for NWN2 not having a Linux version wasn't Bioware or Obsidian- it was Atari. Remind yourself of that, folks.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        It's a bit different from things than that, but you're barking up the right tree there deanjo... Main reason for NWN2 not having a Linux version wasn't Bioware or Obsidian- it was Atari. Remind yourself of that, folks.
        Well we don't have a port of Dragon's Age either and that was done by Bioware.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by deanjo View Post
          Well we don't have a port of Dragon's Age either and that was done by Bioware.
          And that was EA's doing there. However...not all's lost. They DO know about Linux and I've been told by a good source in EA's support group several titles that're known to properly work with WINE on Linux and they'd try to work with you at least a little bit if you ran afoul of a problem with it.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            And that was EA's doing there. However...not all's lost. They DO know about Linux and I've been told by a good source in EA's support group several titles that're known to properly work with WINE on Linux and they'd try to work with you at least a little bit if you ran afoul of a problem with it.
            Ya Bioware's titles at least have usually been "WINE friendly".

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by deanjo View Post
              Ya Bioware's titles at least have usually been "WINE friendly".
              To a degree.

              Mass Effect 2 doesn't quite bind the mouse properly. Or didn't in 1.3.4ish when I tried it on OS X. Seems to be a Wine issue rather than XQuartz.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                However, DNF is about to be shipping...for real... So you're going to get people hoping...even now. (Sigh...)

                Unless they've got a big licensee wanting a Linux version for their UT3 title, that'll pay the money owed to finish it, it's not happening.
                umm, why make an effort for UT3, since we will do this all over again for UT4, might as well wait for that.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by madjr View Post
                  umm, why make an effort for UT3, since we will do this all over again for UT4, might as well wait for that.
                  Because with the effort of porting UT3 to linux there comes a real possibility of seeing many of the UDK projects ported as well.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Sue Epic games

                    If you bought this game intending to play it on Llunx you should sue Epic games. They promised that a Linux client was coming and urged people to buy the windows versions in the meantime. That is just dirty. The Linux community really needs to stick it to lying companies that give us the shaft or we will always have a crappy selection when it comes to games. At a minimum epic should be boycotted.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by debiant View Post
                      At a minimum epic should be boycotted.
                      Already done

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by debiant View Post
                        If you bought this game intending to play it on Llunx you should sue Epic games. They promised that a Linux client was coming and urged people to buy the windows versions in the meantime. That is just dirty. The Linux community really needs to stick it to lying companies that give us the shaft or we will always have a crappy selection when it comes to games. At a minimum epic should be boycotted.
                        Well promises aren't worth the phpbb forums they are written on.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by debiant View Post
                          If you bought this game intending to play it on Llunx you should sue Epic games. They promised that a Linux client was coming and urged people to buy the windows versions in the meantime. That is just dirty. The Linux community really needs to stick it to lying companies that give us the shaft or we will always have a crappy selection when it comes to games. At a minimum epic should be boycotted.
                          Me -> Bioware -> NWN

                          For those of you who weren't around back in the day, Bioware had--for at least a year prior to launch--been talking about a linux port and how they'd try to have one ready for simultaneous release. Well, there was some clamor on their forums for a couple of weeks leading up to the release about the status of the linux client and if it was indeed going to be released on launch day or closely thereafter.

                          There was zero feedback from Bioware during this period. The launch came and went and no linux client. People (including myself) who had bought the windows package expecting there to be a downloadable linux executable released in a timely fashion started going into a frenzy. Still no feedback at all from Bioware, and their forum mods started deleting linux-related threads. It was a giant cluster#@$%.

                          I'm happy that they eventually lived up to their word (mostly) and got a linux client out, but by that time I had moved well on from all things Bioware. I no longer take such promises at face value. Show me the product and I'll show you the money.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X