[Petition] StarCraft II for Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wholly thread resurrection!!

Back in May and June there was quite a stir about this issue, and many of us still anxiously wait for the release of this game. Just like d2kx commented, I also heard about a WoW Linux client (didn't know it was during beta) which was (supposedly) held back by Vivendi, rather than Blizzard, so I have to wonder: Who has the last word about a given port? The publisher or the studio? Support may not be an issue as a Linux subforum on SCII Battle.net site should be enough, just like BioWare has done with NWN, and which apparently worked out pretty well... just wondering...

PS: misspelled "holy" with "wholly" on purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by ap90033 View Post
      Well Currently There Are 12758 sig's!!! so more than 10k maybe that will get their attention...
      I'll re-iterate... Over 10k signatories signing a petition doesn't translate into the same thing as over 10k people BUYING titles and showing that there's enough people to merit considering at least a small production run of at least 2-5k units or allowing a small publisher to do the same.

I'm impressed all the same. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Thetargos View Post
        Wholly thread resurrection!!
        Who has the last word about a given port? The publisher or the studio?
        It depends on the publishing deal they cut. In the case of BioWare, NWN had the port mostly done when they cut the deal with their new publisher, so it was something of a fete accompli at that point and it just simply got released as an "unsupported mode of use" for the game. In the case of most games, unless the studio reserved rights to the title on platforms not published by the original publisher, the publisher typically has final say- and they're the ones that typically want silly royalty arrangements that preclude someone doing a Linux port because they want royalties commensurate with the console or Windows game market space.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          It depends on the publishing deal they cut. In the case of BioWare, NWN had the port mostly done when they cut the deal with their new publisher, so it was something of a fete accompli at that point and it just simply got released as an "unsupported mode of use" for the game. In the case of most games, unless the studio reserved rights to the title on platforms not published by the original publisher, the publisher typically has final say- and they're the ones that typically want silly royalty arrangements that preclude someone doing a Linux port because they want royalties commensurate with the console or Windows game market space.
          Ooook, didn't know that (then again, I'm not an industry's insider like yourself )... Vivendi (now owners of Blizzard, last I heard and formerly Sierra) must be one greedy publisher. AFAIK, they forsaken the WoW port and forbid Valve to have port of the client for HL2[1]
          1. as usual, only rumors, so take them with the mount Rushomre of salt grains!! I have no means to corroborate that, though I wouldn't think it would be too far fetched either

Comment

Working...
          X