Good News For Linux Gamers This Thanksgiving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dcc24 View Post
    Seconded. Though they already have cheaper licenses for small stuff, so I'm guessing something along the lines of "If you promise to release the game on Linux as well, you'll get the SDK for X % less!".
    and why wouldn't they be using the Q3 engine right now?
    If it is todo with the Unigine the only ones interested would be those wanting todo 3D games yes?

Well we have had the UT2k4 engine that is cross platform, how many games come out of that (commercial)
    Q3 engine (its even gpl'ed) and how many games have come out of that (commercial)
    Doom3 engine how many?

Its not like there isn't already 3D engines that are cross platform or engines that are free, how has any of these spured linux game development and why would something from unigine change that

if people wanted to code for linux they would have by now, every now and again some indi does some game but there hasn't been any significant increase in games for linux let alone top quality sellers (most recent is HoN and what else?)

How is this going to be any different? Sure some deal for linux dev is great! it may spur it on BUT nothing says it isn't so I fail to see how this is great news for gamers (if it really is a licensing for indi)

Comment

one of this game probably so :
      http://unigine.com/clients/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        Fortunately, for those very curious, I just found out the official announcement should come down within a few hours... Much sooner than I expected
        Ugh, I'm not going to be home in a few hours. Have to go see the family and all.

Comment

Wild guessing..

Maybe they announce that their digital distribution partner for oilrush is Steam ???????

Comment

It's a free licensen for a Linux dedicated team. Check their site.

Comment

Found this on the Unigine page dated today (11-25-2010)..

Unique opportunity for Linux game developers
              To support Linux game development we will give a completely free license for our top-notch Unigine engine to an experienced team willing to develop a Linux native game. The competion is open until December, 10. Read more in the official press-release.

Comment

That is very good news, even if I expected a ready-to-play game. Lets hope we will get a good game for a moderate price.

Comment

Aw, I love unigine and all, but I was hoping for steam.

Comment

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
                    Aw, I love unigine and all, but I was hoping for steam.
                    I was too, but this is still a major story, I know 3d modelling and texturing, and have level edited Doom3 UT3 and Crysis, and I feel bad that I do not have the time or money to devote to getting up to speed on the tools required for this project.. if I did Id be all over it!

Comment

Unless this isn't it.
                      I'm hoping michael reports on it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Terracide View Post
                        Unique opportunity for Linux game developers
                        To support Linux game development we will give a completely free license for our top-notch Unigine engine to an experienced team willing to develop a Linux native game.
                        That's it?... Man, windows fanboys are gonna laugh their asses off when they find out that the linux geeks are all excited about the possibility of having one new game somewhere in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
                          ok since you all go for guessing: I throw announcement of the open beta of postal III into the pool of wild guesses...

why?
                          postal 2 was available for linux aswell.
                          you are right .. but postal3 comes over steam to linux!

Comment

If there is a team out there looking at this offer. I have Worked with Unigine for a couple of years now (on Linux too) - I am full time employed... But will be quite happy to share expertise and some code.

Comment

Originally posted by qaridarium View Post
                              you are right .. But postal3 comes over steam to linux!
                              ack

Comment

To the potential project dev team..
                                If any of you read this, kudos to you for picking this project up, I wish I could join your efforts. If I may present my idea for your project (which I understand will be one of many)

There have been a lot of good shooters in recent years, but while the overall quality of graphics gets better, only some games are able to match good gameplay and original ideas with awesome graphics. Unigine (from what I have seen and read) is simply amazing and is up to the task of driving the next killer Linux gaming app.

My Linux game wishlist::

I personally would like to see a GOOD and ORIGINAL Science Fiction single-multiplayer Tactical FPS game for Linux. Something with a massive environment similar to Crysis and the like and keeping the gameplay fun and engaging. Said game should be complete with Spacecraft, Mechs, battlesuits, and an arsenal of futuristic projectile and energy based weapons. I have often dreamed of plying a game that I could launch out of a battleship in orbit around a planet, fly my dropship with occupants past planetary defenses and enemy fighters and drop my occupants on the battlefield so they can attack their objectives. Maybe we are at this point in game development, maybe not, but If the Unigine engine could drive a game like that (especially in Linux) I think every serious gamer in the world would take notice.

Comment

Working...
                                X