No announcement yet.

Urban Terror HD: Going Away From Open-Source

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urban Terror HD: Going Away From Open-Source

Phoronix: Urban Terror HD: Going Away From Open-Source

It's been two years since the release of Urban Terror 4.1, an open-source first person shooter powered by the ioquake3 engine that started out originally as a Quake 3 mod. Extensive work has been made towards the next release, Urban Terror 4.2, with significant improvements being made from new maps and visuals to a new graphics renderer. However, this past week the Urban Terror developers announced some rather surprising changes, which includes Urban Terror no longer being distributed as an open-source, GPL game...

Were they bought by Oracle, too?

ohh HD! wow does that mean its limited to 1080p? Gotta love buzzwords

no, the HD stands for horrible doody...

who cares... that game died with beta 2.6a.

I think this is a good thing because it is a potential step towards a broadened linux game market, not just open-source games.

Whats really interesting here is that they are not trying to capitalise on the much updated ioquake3 engine (compared to the original circa 1999 quake3 engine).

I think this is a very strange move. And the only supporters thus far seem to extend from the illusion that a closed system would deter online cheating.

And why on earth license the tech3 engine? Its a friggin' dinosaur. Even the tech4 engine is looking old these days.

Strange move indeed.

Well I never liked the game anyway, so I couldn't care less.
                Still I agree it's a very weird move. I don't buy their argument of 'not having to keep backwards compatible'. They could've just forked ioquake and ship their own version for that.
                I guess they want to capitalize on their work, which is alright with me. I just think it'd be easier for them to just keep using the gpl'd code and just sell the game-assets (models, maps, etc) to which they own the rights anyway, just like steelstorm is doing.

Well that sucks, I love playing UT from time to time, if its going paid for and closed source then that goes out the window.

I dont know how the already seemingly limited user-base will like paying for it, if your going to pay for it, why not buy CS:S or the like?

Next announcement will be this stupid game is exclusive for Windows and MacOS X. No more Linux builds cuz the potential 'market' is negligible. Bah