Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can The Unigine Engine Get Any Better? Yes, And It Has.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
    arma2 uses 64gb of ram without x64 because of PAE sure you need windows7 or a server edition windows to use this feature for 64gb ram.
    PAE has been supported in Win 2k, XP Pro and Vista as well so it is not limited to Win 7 or a server edition

Comment

To be correct, PAE is always used when there is NX active. But a software limit for the desktop systems does not allow the practical use of it. A 32 bit app can usually not get more than 4 GB ram with PAE active. A 64 bit app can use full memory. If your system has more than 3 GB RAM there is a hack that enables full PAE support on Win desktop systems too like v or 7.

http://www.pallab.net/2009/12/30/ena...ndows-vista-7/

Comment

Can you people SHUT UP about arma and take it to another thread?
        This particular thread is about Unigine, and developer tools is a very relevant topic.

Comment

If the quesiton is when will someone make a full game in Unigine, I wonder if the quickest path might be to take an existing OSS game like Tremulous, Nexuix, World of Padman, etc. and port it to Unigine rather than create all new models, maps, etc. for a new game.

Comment

Originally posted by enderandrew View Post
            If the quesiton is when will someone make a full game in Unigine, I wonder if the quickest path might be to take an existing OSS game like Tremulous, Nexuix, World of Padman, etc. and port it to Unigine rather than create all new models, maps, etc. for a new game.
            Unigine should have their OilRush game out well before any such port could be done.

Comment

Well a simple first or third person shooter would be nice too, i do not like strategy games.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                Well a simple first or third person shooter would be nice too, i do not like strategy games.
                Actually, I'm not a fan of shooters myself. I prefer RPGs and strategy titles, but the FPS genre is the most popular genre out there. There really should be a FPS title to show off the engine.

And quite frankly, if you're trying to make the best FOSS shooter out there, why wouldn't you consider porting your game to this engine?

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
                  PAE has been supported in Win 2k, XP Pro and Vista as well so it is not limited to Win 7 or a server edition
                  on arma2 there is no profit in PAE on windowsxp/2k/vista because this kind of os limit the PAE usage to 4GB ram

you can not use arma2 fully with 64gb of ram on 2k/xp/vista only windows7/server edition of windows allow you to use the full feature set of arma2

Comment

Originally posted by enderandrew View Post
                    And quite frankly, if you're trying to make the best FOSS shooter out there, why wouldn't you consider porting your game to this engine?
                    Probably because Unigine is not FOSS. It's a propriatary closed source engine.

Comment

Proprietary third party titles is something the Linux gaming scene needs desperately.
                      Look at Symbian; It runs on far more devices than Android or iPhone, yet the lack of any third party applications make it a much less desirable platform than the competition (or at least that is one aspect of why it's slowly failing).

Comment

It was the lack of apps? I always thought it was the usability. Compared to Symbian, Blender and Gimp are a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                          It was the lack of apps? I always thought it was the usability. Compared to Symbian, Blender and Gimp are a dream.
                          To tell you the truth I think your the first person that I have ever heard complaining about Symbians "usability".

Comment

Really? Even here, the promised land of Nokia, it's a very common topic.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                              Really? Even here, the promised land of Nokia, it's a very common topic.
                              Yes really, the nokia's that I had ran Symbian and usability was never an issue.

Comment

Guy's, that's just supposed to be an example. Point I was trying to make is that although Symbian is a technically sound product, it's lack of interest in what it's user base wants contributes greatly to it's failure.

I wanted to say that Unigine being propietary is not a bad thing.
                                This kinda gives me idea: What if Unigine can provide a free mod SDK, or if we can convince them to, so that people can freely create games on their engine. You know how people create entire games based of UT2004 or Half Life 2, well maybe people could remake games like tremulous on the Unigine engine.
                                I think this would be beneficial: those games and Unigine get some publicity, and Unigine gets some real world testing so that it can be improved.

Comment

Working...
                                X