Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primal Carnage Says Goodbye To Unigine

Phoronix: Primal Carnage Says Goodbye To Unigine

While many Linux gamers were looking forward to seeing the Primal Carnage game on Linux in the coming months, it looks like you may have to guess again, at least for a launch in tandem with the Microsoft Windows version. The developers have now switched from the Unigine Engine to using the latest Unreal Engine, which puts its Linux fate into question...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODY0Mg

a linux steam client in the coming months?
    I guess michael still stands by his claims.

Comment

I think my money just told goodbye to Primal Carnage.

Comment

Puhhh, now I'm happy, that I forgot to pre-buy the game cause they didn't offer something playable. And no, I don't think that they would not have made this step, if more Linux users pre-buys the game.

Comment

I read some posts in their forum, and all i have to say as a developer myself, is that i wish them utter failure from my heart...

They are making lame excuses, like that "Unigine didn't support them" while the truth of the matter is that they switched to the Unreal Engine in order to publish to consoles...

I wouldn't have a problem with that, they are a business, it is their game and they are free to do what they want. But they lied to the Linux community in order to get support, money and publicity.

Unigine supported them in MANY ways, and they say they couldn't finish the game with this engine...

As a company and as professionals, are unworthy of trust and of respect. Expect them to belly up sometime in the future...

Comment

thanks for the news, just wrote a pm for getting my money back...

Comment

That's a crappy game from a crappy company anyway, I wasn't even interested in the beginning so moving along...

Comment

Oh well, I for one never really grokked the basic idea of this game anyway. A dino fps? Really?

Comment

I just got my money back, too, and I'm wondering how much of a dent all this paying back is going to do.

Comment

Originally posted by korpenkraxar View Post
                    Oh well, I for one never really grokked the basic idea of this game anyway. A dino fps? Really?
                    I think it was more of an dino fpb (First Person Biter), wasn't it ?

Comment

How am I not surprised. Linux game development is rather difficult. APIs change far too much.

Comment

Originally posted by snuwoods View Post
                        I just got my money back, too, and I'm wondering how much of a dent all this paying back is going to do.
                        How did you get your money back ? YOu just used the contact form on their website or contacted someone in particular ?

Comment

Disappointed

Sounds like they have a new publisher that doesn't care to release the game on linux. I don't know how they could supposedly be this far along in the development and be able to swich game engines without a chunk of cash behind them.

Having met them at GDC I have to say I'm disappointed. The unigine code is very well documented and very high quality in my experience. I can understand if they are pushing console development because Unigine is very new to the consoles, and hasn't been approved by MS yet. But lack of support is BS when you have access to the code. I don't see why Unigine should have to pay for development of a port to xbox if they aren't being paid to do it. That is my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by NoEffex View Post
                            How am I not surprised. Linux game development is rather difficult. APIs change far too much.
                            Correct me if I'm wrong (probably) but I was under the impression you created your game for the Unigine Engine and if the Engine ran on your PC so would the game (with minor changes to installer and extra stuff) so did NOT have to create the game for separate platforms as much as instead of for Unigine?

Comment

Originally posted by zeealpal View Post
                              Correct me if I'm wrong (probably) but I was under the impression you created your game for the Unigine Engine and if the Engine ran on your PC so would the game (with minor changes to installer and extra stuff) so did NOT have to create the game for separate platforms as much as instead of for Unigine?
                              That would be true however games aren't solely relying on said engine to perform everything that it does.

Comment

Working...
                              X