Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT3 For Linux Is Laid To Rest By Epic's Mark Rein

Phoronix: UT3 For Linux Is Laid To Rest By Epic's Mark Rein

Back in May we reported that Epic Games finally admitted that UT3 for Linux would likely never materialize. This first person shooter was released back in 2007 and was supposed to have a Linux client that was to be ported by Ryan "Icculus" Gordon. He was working on this Linux client as recent as last year, but it never was released and no other information was provided by Epic Games, Ryan, or other sources. In May we heard from Epic's Steve Polge that the Linux client would likely never materialize. Today we have been passed along a note from Mark Rein, the VP of Epic Games and creator of the Unreal Engine...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODU3NA

Does this mean that you're finally going to stop writing about it? Or are you going to keep on with reports of "we asked them if they are really sure, and they said \"probably\""

Comment

I'll smile when id's Rage sells tenfold.

Epic fsckups...

Comment

ah, finally. at least speculations are going to end.

Comment

Yeah, right. Like official announcements ever were good enough a reason for people to stop speculating.

Comment

Loss from those news towards Linux community itself low, an application to spend time around with and one of things to go around measuring the performances between operating systems.

There are alot alternative ones and hopefully new ones on keep coming.

Comment

Originally posted by jasa68 View Post
              Loss from those news towards Linux community itself low, an application to spend time around with and one of things to go around measuring the performances between operating systems.

Just curious... What's your native language?

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                Just curious... What's your native language?
                Errr... Jibberish?

Comment

Originally posted by jasa68 View Post

Human translation from Google Translate's Chinese->English to U.S. English:

The impact of this news upon the Linux community itself is low: it is only an entertainment application, and one of several options for cross-platform performance comparisons.

There are many alternatives, and hopefully new ones will keep coming.
                  And my response: Well, since it was never officially ported to Linux, it did a rather poor job of being cross-platform, didn't it?

But yeah, there are dozens of alternatives -- Free Software alternatives, or at least "free beer" ones -- for Michael to use for performance numbers. They're still not benchmarks, though.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    Yeah, right. Like official announcements ever were good enough a reason for people to stop speculating.
                    Worked for Steam for linux didn't it.

Comment

Thank God. I for one am glad this turd of a company isn't trying to port their crapwear.

Comment

part of me wonders how much of the Linux Client being canned can be attributed to Microsoft and Gears of War. I really wonder if one of the stipulations of Microsoft backing Gears of War was the termination of Epic's outright support for *nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Saist View Post
                          part of me wonders how much of the Linux Client being canned can be attributed to Microsoft and Gears of War. I really wonder if one of the stipulations of Microsoft backing Gears of War was the termination of Epic's outright support for *nix.
                          No.

Comment

It's disappointing to see them forsake Linux when they were historically one of few major developers supporting us.. but I personally wasn't interested in the game. I still play the clear and colorful UT2K4, but UT3 followed the recent trend of dark grainy brown foggy yuckiness. What a waste of a videocard!

Comment

This is actually a pretty big blow to Linux as a gaming platform. Less games released = less opportunities for the community to show how large it is and how willing to spend cash on games it is. This is a bad thing. Personally I find it annoying that no one is trying to push gaming on Linux in a serious way. I think we need someone like redhat/ubuntu to step up and provide support to sdl/opengl/openal developers like Microsoft does with directX. Let's be honest, Linux has a very mature gaming development environment, I'm fedup with people always whinging about sound apis. OpenAL works, it's tested, and it's made for games. Static linking and installers were all solved by loki. Update them to gtk2/3 if they aren't already, and make a decent website dedicated to linux gaming and linux game sales. Tux games website looks so amateur it's frightening. Half the mod/fan sites on the net do a better job at looking professional. Hell Linuxgames.com/phoronix look more professional and they don't even sell Linux games. LGP has similar issues, get some web designers PLEASE. At least if Linux gaming has to go down in flames make it a roaring blue flame not a pansy yellow flame. Linux gaming is doing very little to sell itself to the world. FIX THE WEBSITES and cross promote more.

happypenguin.org
                              linuxgames.com
                              phoronix.com
                              slashdot.org
                              lgp.com
                              idsoftware.com
                              linuxgames.blogspot.org

They are the only websites worth reading for linux gaming news. and half of them don't bother to cross promote. This makes me want to rip my hair out with frustration. I work with indie game developers all the time with IRL stuff. There's massive room for improvement in how the Linux gaming community presents itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X