Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UT3 For Linux Is Laid To Rest By Epic's Mark Rein

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by DMJC View Post
    There's massive room for improvement in how the Linux gaming community presents itself.
    For Epic, Linux was a pet project. For iD, Linux ports only happen because TTimo uses his free time for it, he will eventually retire and you'll get shafted by iD and get upset about it.

    Maybe the real problem is that the Linux desktop sucks and needs to be improved beyond the "good-enough-for-a-workstation" stage. You could probably start by making grub2 not brick certain dual boot computers. Just a suggestion that will be ignored.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
      For Epic, Linux was a pet project. For iD, Linux ports only happen because TTimo uses his free time for it, he will eventually retire and you'll get shafted by iD and get upset about it.

      Maybe the real problem is that the Linux desktop sucks and needs to be improved beyond the "good-enough-for-a-workstation" stage. You could probably start by making grub2 not brick certain dual boot computers. Just a suggestion that will be ignored.
      You can also spread the same concern where Ryan is concerned. Lately it's been mostly OS X or small little indie ports that he has been doing. SDL development has slowed considerably over the last few years and there doesn't seem to be anybody to pick up the torch and his last big effort (FatELF) was greeted with spurn by the linux community. I wouldn't be surprised if he fades off into the distance without any fanfare.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by jasa68 View Post
        There are alot alternative ones and hopefully new ones on keep coming.
        I have never seen an alternative Alot, but new/baby ones would be adorable!

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by jasa68 View Post
          The impact of this news upon the Linux community itself is low: it is only an entertainment application, and one of several options for cross-platform performance comparisons.
          Referring to popular games as "only an entertainment application" is lot like calling the beach "only a reason to wear a bathing suit." Over in Regular People World, games are for many people the only reason to own a damn computer in the first place, and for most the rest they're the only reason to own something bigger than a netbook.

          I know many Phoronix forum members know this, but the Linux crowd in general tends to fail to understand this. The people who actually _like_ spending hours upon hours every day looking at a console window are not normal. When you spend your whole life in front of a computer doing Linux nerd stuff, mostly only interacting with office mates or other Linux nerds on the Internet, you tend to lose touch with what the other 99.9999% of regular consumer folks thinks of these computer things and what they use them for.

          Losing a game like UT3 -- and likely, by extension, any possibility of a port of the great many UT3-based games that have come out since UT3 itself -- really does hurt Linux. Not having any chance to play those games is to most people the same thing as not having any chance to use GCC is to us.

          I would like to know what the reasons are for UT3 for Linux being canceled, at least. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it had something to do with an inability to offer real DRM for a fully Open Source OS. Would suck if that were the reason (I hate DRM as much as the next honest consumer) but on the other hand I can easily see that being the business decision (given the disgustingly high piracy rate of PC games).

          Comment


          • #20
            UT3 is an old game not worth an article, move along people, better hope for/work on ports of modern games like prototype, modern warfare 2 etc etc

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
              Maybe the real problem is that the Linux desktop sucks and needs to be improved beyond the "good-enough-for-a-workstation" stage. You could probably start by making grub2 not brick certain dual boot computers. Just a suggestion that will be ignored.
              Are you just trying to troll or can you develop? FWIW I've also seen many windows computers brick dual booting. At least Grub2 tries to cope with more than one system, while Windows *always* assumes it's alone on a machine. Just for the sake of the comparison of comparable things, to show who's doing efforts in which direction.

              But I'm mostly interested in your argumentation on why Linux desktop sucks.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                You could probably start by making grub2 not brick certain dual boot computers. Just a suggestion that will be ignored.
                ROFL. You mean this? http://linux.slashdot.org/story/10/0...-2-Unbootable]

                FAIL.

                Comment


                • #23
                  It's dead, Jim. (RIP)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    It's dead, Jim. (RIP)

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
                      LOL!

                      There is more chance of seeing UT3 on the iPhone 4 than on Linux... Oh wait... It's already on the iPhone 4. wtf!

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ncmwgJzqw

                      I've always liked id. They make me feel sane.

                      Shame on EPIC for their EPIC fail.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by b15hop View Post
                        There is more chance of seeing UT3 on the iPhone 4 than on Linux... Oh wait... It's already on the iPhone 4. wtf!

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ncmwgJzqw
                        Yes, i still cannot believe how games may look at mobile device!

                        But going back to topic:
                        I believe that making Linux port of UT3 isn't really profitable.
                        Just look at it's Windows version - it's very cheap (it so cheap it's almost free ;P, so i guess it has nothing to do with DRM), but there's almost none servers, even worldwide: Gametracker search results.
                        I really dunno why that happened - i played UT3 demo and it's good imho - even more - it's best 'quake' ever ;P.
                        UT3 is imo a better than imo crappy_these_days CS 1.6 - which ofcourse got like 1000x more playable/full servers... (for me quake-like games were always better than cs ;P, although i just love cod4)

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                          For Epic, Linux was a pet project. For iD, Linux ports only happen because TTimo uses his free time for it, he will eventually retire and you'll get shafted by iD and get upset about it.

                          Maybe the real problem is that the Linux desktop sucks and needs to be improved beyond the "good-enough-for-a-workstation" stage. You could probably start by making grub2 not brick certain dual boot computers. Just a suggestion that will be ignored.
                          Speaking of iD, I wish Carmack would do Android ports of Doom in addition to the iPhone ports he's done.
                          Android and mobile Linux probably has the better shot at being a viable gaming platform than desktop Linux at this point.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
                            Speaking of iD, I wish Carmack would do Android ports of Doom in addition to the iPhone ports he's done.
                            Android and mobile Linux probably has the better shot at being a viable gaming platform than desktop Linux at this point.
                            That's so true.
                            This is why I hope Android is released on a Tegra based phone.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Who cares?

                              Amnesia was just released by Frictional Games. Go buy that, support Indi devs and to hell with ID.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by elanthis View Post
                                Referring to popular games as "only an entertainment application" is lot like calling the beach "only a reason to wear a bathing suit." Over in Regular People World, games are for many people the only reason to own a damn computer in the first place, and for most the rest they're the only reason to own something bigger than a netbook.
                                ROFL. You have got to be kidding. If 'regular people' cared about pc gaming, notebooks and integrated video would be much less popular.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X