Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Linux Demo For Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Linux Demo For Amnesia: The Dark Descent

    Phoronix: A Linux Demo For Amnesia: The Dark Descent

    A month ago we reported that the Amnesia game was getting ready for a Linux release and now the Swedish developers behind this game, known properly as "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" have released a demo of the game. Frictional Games has released this demo for Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X gamers...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODU2Ng

  • #2
    Already ordered one. Thanks for a plug.
    Rob
    email: dagger@gentoo.org

    Comment


    • #3
      Runs like a champ on my system (Phenom II x4 965, GeForce GTX460 1GB) with all options maxed. The game looks beautiful in all its dark, twisted, and unsettling glory, and the visual effects are great. Much of the awesome atmosphere of the Penumbra games was created through masterfully implemented audio and Amnesia doesn't disappoint in that department either. The audio effects are quite good, the ambient effects quite haunting, and the narration is quality.

      I preordered this game months ago when the preorder first started. Just a few days left until I get to enjoy the full game in all its glory. From what I got to play in the demo this game is going to be straight up terrific. I can't wait to be scared out of my mind

      Comment


      • #4
        Hmm the texures in that vid look sooo 1998!

        Comment


        • #5
          Works and runs on r300g - except that everything is upside down

          Comment


          • #6
            Hmm...definitely excited about this game, but I can't get it to run. The game installed ok, and the launcher runs fine. When I click "Launch Game" the screen goes black and then crashes to the desktop.

            When I ran the launcher from the terminal, it crashes with:
            Code:
            X_ChangeProperty: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) 0x0
            eokiahn@desktop:/opt/AmnesiaDemo$ bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            bt_audio_service_open: connect() failed: Connection refused (111)
            Tried killing PulseAudio, ensured Bluetooth services are running, but it still crashes. Disabled Compiz and it still occurs. Running Ubuntu 10.04 32bit, NVIDIA 7800GS, binary driver version 256.52.

            Is this happening to anyone else?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by eokiahn View Post
              Hmm...definitely excited about this game, but I can't get it to run. The game installed ok, and the launcher runs fine. When I click "Launch Game" the screen goes black and then crashes to the desktop.

              When I ran the launcher from the terminal, it crashes with:
              [...]

              Is this happening to anyone else?
              The game seems to need write access to some files in the install directory. So either run it as root (bad) or chmod/chown the files so your user can write them.

              Comment


              • #8
                runs great on my laptop. 2ghz core2 duo, gf 9600m gs, ubuntu 10.04 64-bit.
                everything on a little higher than medium settings runs fluidly here. looks pretty good, even on medium settings.

                i played the full demo and, oh man.
                haha

                hopefully going to buy it shortly after release.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Any mainstream media coverage?

                  I sent a tip to kotaku.com about Oilrush some days ago and I have sent another one today about this demo. If they don't say a word about these games I'll be very pissed at them. Any of you know of big video game sites covering them?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MichaelPalin View Post
                    I sent a tip to kotaku.com about Oilrush some days ago and I have sent another one today about this demo. If they don't say a word about these games I'll be very pissed at them. Any of you know of big video game sites covering them?
                    IGN has a review of the game up on their site. They gave the game a score of 8.5/10 "Great".

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dscharrer View Post
                      The game seems to need write access to some files in the install directory. So either run it as root (bad) or chmod/chown the files so your user can write them.
                      That did it, thanks.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        game runs and looks really good
                        My system ubuntu 10.04, AMD x2 6000+, 6 GB ddr2 800mhz, AMD Radeon HD 5770 1GB, catalyst 10.8 - all settings maxed from game and AA4x and AA8x at 1280x1024 and it runs damn smooth

                        gonna buy it also probably.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by whizse View Post
                          Works and runs on r300g - except that everything is upside down

                          Similar problem, different operating system:
                          http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum...52-page-1.html
                          and bug report(new one would be better):
                          https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29420

                          I can also say that Amnesia demo turned my world upside down.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I actually filed that bug (just so there's no confusion) . Quite interesting to note that the same problem can appear on a totally different implementation though.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by sobkas View Post
                              Similar problem, different operating system:
                              http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum...52-page-1.html
                              and bug report(new one would be better):
                              https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=29420

                              I can also say that Amnesia demo turned my world upside down.
                              $ xrandr -o inverted; ./amnesia ;xrandr-o normal
                              ? :P

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X