Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is it posible to compile the half-life 2 source leak from 2003 on linux???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • is it posible to compile the half-life 2 source leak from 2003 on linux???

    yes...nuff said...

    like the title sais...is it posible because iv been wondering even with DirectX programing??

  • #2
    ????anyone????

    Comment


    • #3
      not easily

      1. Probably hardly anyone has the source code, I don't have it either.
      2. Probably will it be very hard to compile and at that time it only used Directx for graphics and was very integrated with the whole windows stuff... it was only 2007+ when they started OS independency.
      3. What would be the use of it?

      Comment


      • #4
        [Damn pressed reply too early because i used <tab>]
        -You couldn't distribute it freely
        -You would still need more maps and models
        -We already have very advanced engines like:
        http://xreal-project.net/
        plus just yesterday the source code of wolfenstein:enemy territory and return to castle wolfenstein was open sourced.
        http://www.iowolfet.org/
        http://www.iortcw.org/
        Will soon go online.
        Greez

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Lykos View Post
          [Damn pressed reply too early because i used <tab>]
          -You couldn't distribute it freely
          -You would still need more maps and models
          -We already have very advanced engines like:
          http://xreal-project.net/
          plus just yesterday the source code of wolfenstein:enemy territory and return to castle wolfenstein was open sourced.
          http://www.iowolfet.org/
          http://www.iortcw.org/
          Will soon go online.
          Greez
          1.i have the source and some .bat with what i can download stuff..i can upload it if youd like it

          2...well that part beats me up

          3.2 reasons, one is pesure and 2cnd one is linux needs more games damn it :S (yes i know steam is going out for linux soon but i cant wait , better use whats on the field)

          4. i wouldn't distribute it, at least i would do the same what garrysmod.org did

          5.there are ways...

          6.actyualy...xreal kicks ass

          Comment


          • #6
            first it's piracy and you might get yourself into trouble!
            second it's old and probably that code might be incomplete!
            third if i was a moderator or admin i would ban you from forums!

            As Lykos said you might get some foss src code and enjoy making games or you could buy a license of unigine or torque 3d engine!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Setlec View Post
              first it's piracy and you might get yourself into trouble!
              second it's old and probably that code might be incomplete!
              third if i was a moderator or admin i would ban you from forums!

              As Lykos said you might get some foss src code and enjoy making games or you could buy a license of unigine or torque 3d engine!
              OMG i dont get it why people are realy all about "ITS ILEGAL AND YOU WOULD GET BANNED"

              i just whant to see the results...not to shutdown valve for good <:S

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Auroraa9420 View Post
                OMG i dont get it why people are realy all about "ITS ILEGAL AND YOU WOULD GET BANNED"

                i just whant to see the results...not to shutdown valve for good <:S
                Probably because you are endorsing the action of theft. BTW you completely contradict yourself in your previous post.

                1.i have the source and some .bat with what i can download stuff..i can upload it if youd like it
                4. i wouldn't distribute it, at least i would do the same what garrysmod.org did
                You won't distribute it but you will upload it? WTF?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Auroraa9420 View Post
                  OMG i dont get it why people are realy all about "ITS ILEGAL AND YOU WOULD GET BANNED"

                  i just whant to see the results...not to shutdown valve for good <:S
                  very tinny nano answer: it's unethical and illegal!

                  If you really want just to play around with it, ok i've nothing against it, enjoy it! But after posting something like your post which is quite popular in my opinion you might have attracted many eyes, maybe some feds or even someone from valve. with this kind of post you are guilty of having the source and valve won't like, and if you are an US citizen, poor guy, you even don't know your country laws!!!

                  Valve won't shutdown with your tinny act, but their tinny act is big enough to put you in jail. And i wouldn't be stupid enough to do what you did i would keep to myself!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The first Linux port of Quake was actually done by someone using an unauthorized copy of the source. So in a way, this would be sort of fitting, given that the Half-Life 1 engine was based on Quake

                    That said, the game industry have become a lot more litigious since then, and you would probably just add credence to the silly rumors that Linux users are cheap, "hackers", and likes to break the law...

                    (Oh, and if you have any plans on working in the game industry I wouldn't touch that source code with a ten foot pole.)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Wasn't there also a Direct X port of Quake 1 before the source was released? As I recall, it was supposed to have been done by some intern at Microsoft who was a little bored or something...

                      Anyway, it's a BAD IDEA to do anything with pirated source code.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        well i thougth that it would be awesome to see something like this into the linux world

                        but alas...i dont whant to put a bad name on me or the linux world -_-

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by gongo View Post
                          Wasn't there also a Direct X port of Quake 1 before the source was released?
                          Possibly, though after the OpenGL support addon I don't really see the necessity for one. (this was iirc done pretty early on)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Auroraa9420 View Post
                            yes...nuff said...

                            like the title sais...is it posible because iv been wondering even with DirectX programing??
                            As an observation, if you're in possession of said leak, you're not going to want to use it. It's NOT something you want to own up to having- not to mention the fact that there's good odds that it's not going to be quite the same game because they re-worked things as a result of the leak.

                            You COULD port it, yes. But you wouldn't want to.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Auroraa9420 View Post
                              1.i have the source and some .bat with what i can download stuff..i can upload it if youd like it
                              Uh, I wouldn't be wanting to own up to this, if it were me. You are making an unauthorized distribution of Valve's software if you provide that to ANYONE else. As of right now, I'm flagging this post.

                              3.2 reasons, one is pesure and 2cnd one is linux needs more games damn it :S (yes i know steam is going out for linux soon but i cant wait , better use whats on the field)
                              Here's a hint. If it's about to be available from Valve, your doing this will see to it that it WON'T be. I am going to be ferociously blunt here. We don't need people doing what you're proposing. You're not doing ANYONE, yourself included, any favors by even talking about doing this.

                              4. i wouldn't distribute it, at least i would do the same what garrysmod.org did
                              You just offered to distribute the code at the beginning of this post. Which is it?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X