Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Epic Games Provides No Hope For UT3 On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
    Hm... The only way to become experienced is to attempt...but the exams part's the pain. Hold on to your thoughts there VINCENT, at least until you've got a bit more time to flesh them out further.
    Well... trigiometry and 'space figures' and maybe calculus stuff will sure come in handy. Physics isn't going to hurt either xD
    And basic HTML, Sql and some basic MS programming crap I completed won't hurt some game design

    Comment


    • #32

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
        Hm... The only way to become experienced is to attempt...but the exams part's the pain. Hold on to your thoughts there VINCENT, at least until you've got a bit more time to flesh them out further.
        And until you have a usable engine and distribution system for it

        Comment


        • #34
          Feeling Ripped Off

          Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: Epic Games Provides No Hope For UT3 On Linux

          With Valve's Steam client and Source Engine coming to Linux in the coming months, we decided to check with Epic Games to see how Unreal Tournament 3 for Linux is coming along. After all, the game was released in November of 2007 and nearly three years later the client is still missing with few words having come from Epic Games or Ryan Gordon (a.k.a. "Icculus"), the well known Linux game porter that was contracted to port UT3 to Linux and has done previous Unreal Engine projects...

          http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODI1OA
          I actually purchased UT 3 for Windows, knowing that would be required for the Linux port, and I did it in November, 2007 when it was first released. After waiting, what seemed like forever, I gave up. This last Christmas I purchased a PS3, and I purchased the PS3 version of UT3. The game has been great, but I sure wish I hadn't purchased the Windows version in anticipation of the Linux client.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by andrig View Post
            I actually purchased UT 3 for Windows, knowing that would be required for the Linux port, and I did it in November, 2007 when it was first released. After waiting, what seemed like forever, I gave up. This last Christmas I purchased a PS3, and I purchased the PS3 version of UT3. The game has been great, but I sure wish I hadn't purchased the Windows version in anticipation of the Linux client.

            Send at least a complaining email

            it wont change anything, but its better than nothing

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
              And until you have a usable engine and distribution system for it
              Distribution system = sourceforge and package managers.

              Engine = anything that can include a physics header to objects and have that link to a hid usb controller... Collision detection and OpenGL 2.1/ES.

              I think that anything that has shaders, animation, scripting and has collision detection will do but I must have a particle system! Shaders only for water ripple effects, waterfalls, full screen distortion, engine flares also counting rockets flares and other heat sources. Particles for explosions, rocket trails, steam, paint debree on inpact, rain, falling leafs and dust/wind.

              Comment


              • #37
                I would like to know exactly what the problem was that prevented the port. Gorden said it was middleware that required a work maround. I guess he did not find a workable solution. It's all very top secret about exactly what middleware it was and why a solution was not forthcoming. Then again, if it's a microsoft issue like .NET or something, we may never see any more linux ports if the same middleware is used in future games. Developers have to make sure a linux port is even possible depending on what is used in the windoze client. Use the wrong middleware and your stuck.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by mum1989 View Post
                  the only game not ugly on Gnu/linux is primal carnage (unigine).
                  I don't know many games native to linux (who has time to play games anyway?), but at least World of Goo is pretty.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I don't know many games native to linux (who has time to play games anyway?), but at least World of Goo is pretty.
                    i kwow, the games available on linux
                    World of Goo is good, yes,... to play 5-10 min

                    UT2004, Quake4, prey, ETQW, Serious Sam are very good game, but I already finish these games.
                    Need game for gamer, not casual gaming.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by mum1989 View Post
                      i kwow, the games available on linux
                      World of Goo is good, yes,... to play 5-10 min

                      UT2004, Quake4, prey, ETQW, Serious Sam are very good game, but I already finish these games.
                      Need game for gamer, not casual gaming.
                      So for a real gamer the only options are First Person Shooters? Sorry but I'm far away from that option.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X