Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i can also ask about "who s the pirate or thief" when i buy win7 and its dx11 with a new vga dx11 , while all games are made for consoles and a "dx9-card" they have , and so all games are really badly running on pcs .
    For sure - microsoft are the real pirates.

Actually - Linux gaming is looking up to me. I've bought Machinarium, Goo and Darwinia in the last few years. All Top notch Indie games, and doing well for themselves (i hope).

Of course it has nothing to do with Phoronix's continued hobby-horses - Nouveau, Wayland, Steam, and Pie in the sky commercial game ports.

Comment

• Alright... don't mean to necro this thread, but...

Put on your unusual Tin Foil Hats:
      http://store.steampowered.com/news/7785/

- Added initial support for the Community Overlay in Mac games hosted by Wine. Currently validated with The Witcher

Why bother with Wine support...? Combine that with the letter...?

Comment

• They are a commercial company, they care only for income. This is why they chose the easiest path, not the best - and minimize expeditures.

This is same why americans eat hormone- and antibiotics packed meat(hormones - for animal to gain mass quick; antibiotics - for it to survive such inhumane conditions) or cloned soyabean and die of cancer early. Producing quality is not on schedule of this scheme.

I give 99,99% out of 100%, that the Mac steam version runs on WINE guts.

Comment

• Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
          You took that out of context, he was talking about Russia and the 6 months it takes for localization. 2D Boy released world of goo without DRM and they see between 82 and 90 % piracy rate.

Piracy happens because people are cheap asshats. Don't be a cheap asshat.
          In Russia, software often costs way more than hardware (and many legal monthly incomes are below 500$).
          2nd point, for "legal" software russian customers often recieve untranslated versions without any support.
          3rd point was mentioned by the guy.
          4th point, those who cannot afford will never buy. Those who can take gratis will get addicted as much as "legal". This is free PR. For example, if ms really invents 100% copyprotection, windows market segment will instantly drop to 30%.

Final point, if you really read the article, you will understand how completely wild the claim is.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
            In Russia, software often costs way more than hardware
            False. Win7 cost just $10 with PC, games in Steam $5-15, indie usually below $5. For example Witcher 2 right now cost $14, Crysis 2 cost $10, StarCraft 2 cost $15.
            Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
            2nd point, for "legal" software russian customers often recieve untranslated versions
            False too. In fact many gamers here doesn't like complete translations and ask publishers to translate only subtitles and interface, not dialogs.
            Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
            without any support
            What you mean under "support" here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hit in the Head View Post
              - Added initial support for the Community Overlay in Mac games hosted by Wine. Currently validated with The Witcher

Some Mac games are ported with Wine (which may mean they're run in a Wine binary, or simply that they're recompiled using Wine libs for platform support). Probably not a huge surprise at all to anyone. All that means is that those games now work properly with the specified overlay. Apparently they didn't before. No news here.

And ignore crazycheese. The following site feature will help you avoid his (and certain specific others') fabricated facts and endlessly clueless rage-fueled nonsense: http://phoronix.com/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Comment

Even on Mac they use Wine? I thought that at least there they were making an effort of releasing native games. It probably means that if Steam ever comes to linux it will be all Wine probably.

Comment

• Originally posted by devius View Post
                  Even on Mac they use Wine? I thought that at least there they were making an effort of releasing native games. It probably means that if Steam ever comes to linux it will be all Wine probably.
                  Sad, but true. I think that the very sales model we have today has a flaw which leads to degeneration of games. Pay once for everything upfront. This forces the industry to constantly create new products, which inevitably leads to quality loss. Imagine you pay a small, but regular fee for every update of your favourite game. Imagine your first game you played and loved running with enhanced graphics on modern computer after so many years, with so much added content. It would be possible, if only the other sales model had been established.

Comment

• At least the Steam client itself (i guess) is not running in wine...?

Comment

Also this: Dear Esther: A Source Engine Game On Linux

Comment

Working...
                      X