Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by deanjo View Post
    I don't see how porting something that is essentially a e-store application equates into more good games. ... it still doesn't make linux any more compelling of a platform to port to.
    I disagree. A service like Steam would appear to handle distribution woes to a large extent. (At least insofar as I understand the way the relationship between Steam and developers is supposed to work.) It's not a magic bullet, but it absolutely smooths one more bump in the road. Ultimately though, I believe it will be a question of profit which determines who ports what, where. Steam won't do that. However the data from the Humble Bundles may.

    To my way of thinking, Steam would most certainly improve Linux's attractiveness to developers, but to think it alone would fix everything is probably misguided and overly-hopeful. That will require a convergence of several factors. The porting of Source and the Humble Bundle numbers might well do more for Linux gaming than Steam and Desura combined. Getting a native client for the current Unreal Engine would kick ass, too. But as they say, one step at a time.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Larian View Post
      I disagree. A service like Steam would appear to handle distribution woes to a large extent. (At least insofar as I understand the way the relationship between Steam and developers is supposed to work.) It's not a magic bullet, but it absolutely smooths one more bump in the road. Ultimately though, I believe it will be a question of profit which determines who ports what, where. Steam won't do that. However the data from the Humble Bundles may.

      To my way of thinking, Steam would most certainly improve Linux's attractiveness to developers, but to think it alone would fix everything is probably misguided and overly-hopeful. That will require a convergence of several factors. The porting of Source and the Humble Bundle numbers might well do more for Linux gaming than Steam and Desura combined. Getting a native client for the current Unreal Engine would kick ass, too. But as they say, one step at a time.
      Distribution has never been the concern for publishers. It is not like the publishers have said in the past "We can't support linux because it doesn't support boxed or downloadable media". It has next to nothing to do with influencing if a port is done or not.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by deanjo View Post
        Distribution has never been the concern for publishers. It is not like the publishers have said in the past "We can't support linux because it doesn't support boxed or downloadable media". It has next to nothing to do with influencing if a port is done or not.
        That's right. It's a combination of factors that contributes to this situation:

        1) there's the notion that linux consumer market is insignificant, which is backed up by the two consumer software giants acting like only the two exist (Apple and MS) and there is no more choice
        2) there is also a certain lack of tools for easily developing games for linux using only open-source or at least linux native software. Having to use "other" OSes to develop for linux isn't helping it get noticed by game studios. Look at how developing for iOS works: MacOS is mandatory
        3) and then there's the notion that all linux users are hackers who don't want to pay for software.

        Probably the packaging can be the final nail in the coffin, but not the main reason we don't see more linux games.

        Something like a Linux SDK would help, but will probably never happen. Something like Ubuntu SDK or openSUSE SDK is much more likely.

        PS: I'm surprised this thread is still going... what the hell??
        PS2: ...and why am I feeding it???
        Last edited by devius; 06-12-2011, 01:06 PM.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by devius View Post
          That's right. It's a combination of factors that contributes to this situation:

          1) there's the notion that linux consumer market is insignificant, which is backed up by the two consumer software giants acting like only the two exist (Apple and MS) and there is no more choice
          And is backed by pretty much any type of statistics and surveys.

          2) there is also a certain lack of tools for easily developing games for linux using only open-source or at least linux native software. Having to use "other" OSes to develop for linux isn't helping it get noticed by game studios. Look at how developing for iOS works: MacOS is mandatory
          You can develop iOS apps on other OS's but yes it is easier on OS X but not mandatory.

          3) and then there's the notion that all linux users are hackers who don't want to pay for software.
          Same notion out there exists for even for Windows PC's. That is why most PC games now days are console ports. Very few developers develop with PC only in mind.

          Probably the packaging can be the final nail in the coffin, but not the main reason we don't see more linux games.

          Something like a Linux SDK would help, but will probably never happen. Something like Ubuntu SDK or openSUSE SDK is much more likely.

          PS: I'm surprised this thread is still going... what the hell??
          PS2: ...and why am I feeding it???
          Yes the lack of a unified SDK is frustrating for developers. As is having to deal with so many distros that very in the packages they provide and versions. It also means that it does not get the attention that it should when it comes to educating those "programmers to be". Those game development schools and classes primarily concentrate on solutions that can provide the complete package in a neat bundle.

          Comment


          • http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rethree10.html

            Windows 8 will have Xbox Live game service pre-installed. Steam is doomed.

            Comment


            • So in conclusion Michael‎/Phoronix was peddling a speculation based upon a speculation as FACT *sigh*

              Even if/when Valve release STEAM for linux in say 10years time with SOURCE-based games available I am sure Michael‎/Phoronix would then say "see see I called it but noone believe me"


              Time to just let lay this to rest. STEAM on linux would be great, Valve would like to provide but have no plans for the immediate future

              now stop trolling us on this topic Michael‎/Phoronix its damaging your credibility

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Naib View Post
                So in conclusion Michael‎/Phoronix was peddling a speculation based upon a speculation as FACT *sigh*

                Even if/when Valve release STEAM for linux in say 10years time with SOURCE-based games available I am sure Michael‎/Phoronix would then say "see see I called it but noone believe me"


                Time to just let lay this to rest. STEAM on linux would be great, Valve would like to provide but have no plans for the immediate future

                now stop trolling us on this topic Michael‎/Phoronix its damaging your credibility
                I've seen you say exactly this at least four times now. I'm fairly confident it won't be the last time, either.

                Frankly I'm not sure where some of it even comes from. What we're talking about, (or at least what I _think_ we're talking about), is the latest Gabe Newell interview where he broached the Linux subject unprompted and said that any project they undertake is done at the expense of other ones. Mr, Newell did not say they had no plans for Steam/Source on Linux - I did, and it was as an example of what Newell _would_ say if he wanted to quash the notion that a port was in the pipeline.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Larian View Post
                  I've seen you say exactly this at least four times now. I'm fairly confident it won't be the last time, either.
                  Not exactly this but along the same lines AND even then it is way below the number of times Michael‎/Phoronix has stated across a number of articles that STEAM is coming to linux.

                  When it was 1st announced it was ZOMG!!!, then this thread stating it coming and that it was CONFIRMED came out and it was ZOMGZOMGZOMG!!!
                  The summer came and no linux client - ok valve time and all
                  The autumn came and no linux client BUT more articles re-affirming its coming and it is confirmed - ok valve time and all
                  The winter came and no linux client and with a VALVE website update saying there is no plans to release a linux client BUT still more acticles re-affirming its coming

                  after many a calls for Michael‎/Phoronix to either put up or shut up more and more articles kept coming saying "people don't believe me but its coming"

                  Finally we have this statement from Mr Valve himself which can put this pathetic case of failed journalism from Michael‎/Phoronix finally to rest

                  I hope Valve do find some time and an incentive to invest in linux and I hope they don't goto Michael‎/Phoronix to break the news when they finally decide todo it ( and I firmly believe that that time will come)

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Desti View Post
                    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rethree10.html

                    Windows 8 will have Xbox Live game service pre-installed. Steam is doomed.
                    Windows 8 looks like crap, so not a chance.

                    Comment


                    • oh well

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Licaon View Post
                        oh well

                        How do you get that? Steam always instantly quits when I try to open system information.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Desti View Post
                          How do you get that? Steam always instantly quits when I try to open system information.
                          yeah, it use to crash but it works now using latest git WINe

                          Comment


                          • Hi,

                            It works with wine 1.3.22 or newer.
                            Steam is now tracking wine version, perhaps they are checking to see how many wine users there are, to know if its worth making a steam linux client.
                            http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28788188/Screenshot-27.jpg

                            Make sure to participate in the next hardware survey, this is our chance!

                            mastertheknife.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by mastertheknife View Post
                              Hi,

                              It works with wine 1.3.22 or newer.
                              Steam is now tracking wine version, perhaps they are checking to see how many wine users there are, to know if its worth making a steam linux client.
                              http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28788188/Screenshot-27.jpg

                              Make sure to participate in the next hardware survey, this is our chance!

                              mastertheknife.
                              Do I need to enable anything to get into the survey?
                              But it will take some month until it gets into the stable trees of the most distributions.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by mastertheknife View Post
                                Hi,

                                It works with wine 1.3.22 or newer.
                                Steam is now tracking wine version, perhaps they are checking to see how many wine users there are, to know if its worth making a steam linux client.
                                http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28788188/Screenshot-27.jpg

                                Make sure to participate in the next hardware survey, this is our chance!

                                mastertheknife.
                                seems like my screenshot made its way to phoronix
                                anyway, i doubt it will change anything.
                                probably they wont put it into the hardware survey anyway.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X