Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Naib View Post
    Then stating "Its official: Valve Releasing Steam" would be in violation on NDA.
    Either way Phoronix fucked up.
    not if Michael ask for permission.

and he do ask before he wrote the article.

Originally posted by Naib View Post
    If you remember the original article they were peddling (as official from Valve) that steam was to be released at the end of summer 2010, well thats been and gone and no steam...
    Also their source that it was coming was a throw away statement in the Telegraph WITH no citation.
    Accept it Phoronix fucked up and are too stubborn to admit they jumped the gun. Maybe Valve are (internally) evaluating releasing STEAM for linux, it is all but certain that Valves SOURCE is coming to linux (via Postal3, but even then last min changes could find no linux release) but there really isn't anything public about STEAM.
    Had STEAM come at the end of the year instead of the end of summer AND an announcement from VALVE, sure mark that down to release slippage but that isn't the case now is it, Phoronix fucked up and if you read other articles they still stand by its going to be released. Maybe it is Maybe it is BUT IT IS FAR FROM OFFICIAL
    Postal3 only pic up the source engine because valve grantee an native linux clind.

they dit not release yet because they run into technical trouble.

one of the trouble is the openGL mac-os clind and they use originally hired devs for the linux clind to fix openGL bugs on macos.

another problem is the Linux driver situation its not so easy if you don'T want an nvidia only solution.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
      Well UT 2004 shipped with Linux binaries, but nobody counted UT2004 as Linux sale. Basically online games could simply report the os to the server, you can even detect wine if you are not too stupid.
      Indeed. But they're not caring about that- and this is discussing something back from a while back when they didn't do that sort of reporting back to the servers. It's not quite the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
        Postal3 only pic up the source engine because valve grantee an native linux clind.

they dit not release yet because they run into technical trouble.
        Heh... This would be one of the reasons I'm on the fence here. Vince isn't one to play games like people from another studio we know of. He's already said it was happening- if it changed, you'd know the moment that it did because he'd tell you outright.

one of the trouble is the openGL mac-os clind and they use originally hired devs for the linux clind to fix openGL bugs on macos.
        So it's OSX that's part of the hold up... Nice...

another problem is the Linux driver situation its not so easy if you don'T want an nvidia only solution.
        It honestly isn't QUITE as bad as you're making it out to be there. One of the MAIN problems with game code, OGL or D3D, is that compliance is a tenuous thing. Both drivers actually comply with the specs in the large. It's in how you code for those specs that you run into problems. In many cases, NVidia's more tolerant (where it honestly shouldn't be...) of things that you honestly shouldn't do, coding-wise, in the first place- so the game works "better".

Comment

• Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          Indeed. But they're not caring about that- and this is discussing something back from a while back when they didn't do that sort of reporting back to the servers. It's not quite the same thing.
          Back on topic though, Valve do report hardware and driver specs back through Steam, so they do have some real numbers on people using Steam through Wine. Even user-agent logging on their web store should give them some numbers on how many of their customers have access to a Linux system.

Comment

So it's OSX that's part of the hold up... Nice...
            face it OSX do have a higher priority because of the '''money'''
            but in my point of view this isn'T bad OSX is openGL and its a Unix but they need every man they can get to fix the problems they run into. They just can not handle more problems right now.
            the anti-linux agreement with apple fall in the end of 2010 so they are not hold up the linux clind any longer because of this agreement. they just run out of manpower to fix all the bugs.

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            Heh... This would be one of the reasons I'm on the fence here. Vince isn't one to play games like people from another studio we know of. He's already said it was happening- if it changed, you'd know the moment that it did because he'd tell you outright.
            .... my english fails here but i really try to understand you.

Vince:"Vince Desi CEO of Running With Scissors"

"This would be one of the reasons I'm on the fence here"
            this Idiom is hard to translate for me... why do you "on the fence"?
            you mean the point that Vince Desi never ever use an engine thats not running on linux?

"Vince isn't one to play games like people from another studio we know of. "
            which kind of studio do you mean if you talk about "another studio we know of"?
            But yes Vince is a nice guy he will never sell the Linux customers of Running With Scissors.

He's already said it was happening- if it changed, you'd know the moment that it did because he'd tell you outright.
            yes he said postal3 comes to linux. and yes if this chance he tell us this outright.

It honestly isn't QUITE as bad as you're making it out to be there. One of the MAIN problems with game code, OGL or D3D, is that compliance is a tenuous thing. Both drivers actually comply with the specs in the large. It's in how you code for those specs that you run into problems. In many cases, NVidia's more tolerant (where it honestly shouldn't be...) of things that you honestly shouldn't do, coding-wise, in the first place- so the game works "better".
            yes nvidias driver should not accept crappy code but this is the strategic of nvidia to hit other companyís

and no i don't paint it black.

an good example of the Linux driver problematic is the wine support.

wine is an high-complex openGL app and now watch my bug-report:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/t...cket_id=835043
            http://ati.cchtml.com/show_bug.cgi?id=48

and now imagine wine is steam you can not upgrade from cataylst 10.10 to 11.1 because minimal chances crash your openGL app.

because your app "wine/steam" is programmed around of '''bugs''' and this hack work for the drivers you write the app fore but the next driver release or bugfix release and so one break this "hack"

and wine is the world's most complex OpenGL app.

you need the manpower to bugfix/hack your app for every single driver version!!!

means all versions of 2 drivers of amd radeon and catalyst and all driver versions of the nvidia cloused driver and all intel opensource driver versions ...

only simple openGL apps do not need this kind of "hack/bugfix"

Comment

• Originally posted by grantek View Post
              Back on topic though, Valve do report hardware and driver specs back through Steam, so they do have some real numbers on people using Steam through Wine. Even user-agent logging on their web store should give them some numbers on how many of their customers have access to a Linux system.
              Heh... There might be a reason there's more than a bit of smoke in this story...

@Qaridarium: I'm on the fence only because we thought much the same thing about the studio I alluded to- and they let us down (and Ryan Gordon, I strongly suspect...). Vince isn't one to not tell you to your face what's going to happen and how it's going to happen. I've just taken a position that if it's not shipped, it's not happened...at least not yet.

Comment

Heh... There might be a reason there's more than a bit of smoke in this story...

@Qaridarium: I'm on the fence only because we thought much the same thing about the studio I alluded to- and they let us down (and Ryan Gordon, I strongly suspect...). Vince isn't one to not tell you to your face what's going to happen and how it's going to happen. I've just taken a position that if it's not shipped, it's not happened...at least not yet.
                ok you talk about Epic Games and unreal 3.
                thats your point of view "let us down" because unreal3 run on linux (wine)
                yes not yet...

Comment

• http://www.runningwithscissors.com/postal3/requirements

Well linux isn't listed (well neither is osx)

also:
                  In a recent interview with Joystiq.com, Running With Scissors founder Vince Desi said that the game would likely be released in the first quarter of 2011. He added, "It's in the final stages in Moscow, I donít think it will come out this Christmas."
                  http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/09/de...n-final-stages

Comment

http://www.runningwithscissors.com/postal3/requirements

Well linux isn't listed (well neither is osx)

also:
                    In a recent interview with Joystiq.com, Running With Scissors founder Vince Desi said that the game would likely be released in the first quarter of 2011. He added, "It's in the final stages in Moscow, I donít think it will come out this Christmas."
                    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/09/de...n-final-stages
                    *Vince Desi is a linux user

Comment

ok you talk about Epic Games and unreal 3.
                      thats your point of view "let us down" because unreal3 run on linux (wine)
                      yes not yet...
                      Uh... Last I remembered, they promised us a NATIVE port and WINE with it being used with the Windows loader engine was more of an emulation (sorry, WINE's an emulator of sorts in this configuration...it uses winelib, yes, but as the OS layer presented by a non-native binary loader engine...) and it's not officially recognized or supported by Epic, let alone most companies...

That's "let down" Qaridarium... You can try to paint it any other way, but you'd be telling stories instead of the truth.

Comment

That's "let down" Qaridarium... You can try to paint it any other way, but you'd be telling stories instead of the truth.
                        truth? you maybe wana read this link:

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?32695-The-Source-Engine-On-Postal-III-Is-Still-Coming-To-Linux

"Always nice hearing from the linux folks. As of today Yes we are still planning a linux release. We that is RWS are waiting for a final beta from our production team in Moscow. Like you and yours we are anxious and frustrated. I hate saying Shit [I'm] not sure about but I will share with you what I know. It looks like May if all goes well. We are hopeful to reach a distribution deal at GDC and worse case we go [direct download] and will find another team [for] Linux.

Thanks
                        V"

Comment

truth? you maybe wana read this link:

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?32695-The-Source-Engine-On-Postal-III-Is-Still-Coming-To-Linux

"Always nice hearing from the linux folks. As of today Yes we are still planning a linux release. We that is RWS are waiting for a final beta from our production team in Moscow. Like you and yours we are anxious and frustrated. I hate saying Shit [I'm] not sure about but I will share with you what I know. It looks like May if all goes well. We are hopeful to reach a distribution deal at GDC and worse case we go [direct download] and will find another team [for] Linux.

Thanks
                          V"
                          You are familiar with the concept of threads and reading right? He was refering to Unreal3
                          Linux users WERE let down. "we" were promised a linux-native client BUT it never came. That is a major letdown

Comment

You are familiar with the concept of threads and reading right? He was refering to Unreal3
                            Linux users WERE let down. "we" were promised a linux-native client BUT it never came. That is a major letdown
                            my reading skills are better than my writing skills.

but trueness are more complex than linear causal trivial kindergarten logic.

you can prove 1 aspect with an complete outstanding argument.

my argument is linux is strong if they do not bring the games to linux the linux users will bring the linux to the games.

Comment

my reading skills are better than my writing skills.

but trueness are more complex than linear causal trivial kindergarten logic.

you can prove 1 aspect with an complete outstanding argument.

my argument is linux is strong if they do not bring the games to linux the linux users will bring the linux to the games.
                              Wine is an excellent project, and it's true that Linux users "find a way", but I think that wine is never going to be a replacement for native games. If a company only needs to make a game for windows, they'll only make a game for windows, and any "linux" sales (with the purpose of running on wine) will still only count as windows sales.
                              That's just my thoughts though.

Comment

• Originally posted by mirv View Post
                                Wine is an excellent project, and it's true that Linux users "find a way", but I think that wine is never going to be a replacement for native games. If a company only needs to make a game for windows, they'll only make a game for windows, and any "linux" sales (with the purpose of running on wine) will still only count as windows sales.
                                That's just my thoughts though.
                                thats true but my point is different my point is linux fights for the heards of the users not the companys heards.

linux may lose on one point but win on another side because humans are not stupid and human care about that kind of storeys and humans do not forget this kind of stuff.

and i'm sure this kind of companys lose on an long time of period because people starts to hate this companys because of there crimes.

Comment

Working...
                                X