Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by the_real_bill View Post
    Sadly. it looks like Steam isn't coming to Linux. Nearly two months have passed, and not one pip from Valve. This thread should be closed. Phronix is probably laughing at this point. No reasonable proof. No Steam guys.
    Yes it will!!! Proof from official wiki: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w...am_under_Linux
    "Please note: Games run with these methods will be slower than running them on Windows because the games are not native executable files. To get the best performance we will need to wait for Valve to release a native Steam client (which is now confirmed). "

Comment

• That's still not an official source. Just an edit of a wiki page. Anyone can create an account on there.

Comment

• *waves fist at edit window.

The "(which is now confirmed)" is a link back to Phoronix's original story.

Comment

• Just one more way to get page hits and ad revenues.

Comment

• so which came 1st then, the telegraph story, or the Phoronix story??

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...goes-live.html

Comment

• I think once Valve gets 100% comfortable with distributing/supporting games on Mac, They will really focus on getting HL2 games and the steam client completely ready for Linux.

Most likely, Valve is going to pull a Blizzard and make a native Linux client then decide its not worth supporting and never release it... I hope that doesn't happen!

Comment

• Originally posted by kilis View Post
                Yes it will!!! Hell yeah!! http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w...am_under_Linux
                "Please note: Games run with these methods will be slower than running them on Windows because the games are not native executable files. To get the best performance we will need to wait for Valve to release a native Steam client (which is now confirmed). "
                Which uses Phoronix as "confirmation" which brings us back to the current situation; is Phoronix hyping a proof-of-concept or will something actually come out at the end of (presumably) northern hemisphere summer?

Comment

• Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
                  I think once Valve gets 100% comfortable with distributing/supporting games on Mac, They will really focus on getting HL2 games and the steam client completely ready for Linux.

Most likely, Valve is going to pull a Blizzard and make a native Linux client then decide its not worth supporting and never release it... I hope that doesn't happen!
                  I doubt it. They dislike Linux. For hosting games they had to accept it since Unix is simply the standard on server systems but what goes for the client they showed clearly they hate Linux. It's astonishing they even experimented with a client but that's just the front-end (steam).

Comment

• Hi guys. I'm new here.

If U really want to know if Steam is coming to Linux see:

http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html

And look at 4-th point in RESPONSIBILITIES

I think this solves all questions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Valve
                      Senior Software Engineer

Description
                      Lead engineer and architect on product integration into the highly available digital distribution platform called "Steam". Utilize business/commerce background and engineering skills to drive next generation features for software developed by Valve.

Responsibilities
                      Develop an understanding of Valve's Internet business and player community and contribute creative web-focused design solutions to improve the experience of using Valve's products
                      Manage the operation of large clusters of machines running both Windows and Linux in a highly available system.
                      Utilize knowledge of networking technologies and their appropriate use in large scale digital distribution systems and gaming platforms.
                      Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform.
                      Test, document, and maintain large scale networking installations and their assorted protocols
                      oversee and implement quality assurance of applications in house and third party games distributed on Steam™

Required Qualifications
                      Bachelor in Systems Engineering (or equivalent).
                      Requires two years of experience in systems engineering designing and developing communications software and hardware solutions including resolving problems surrounding real-time and non real time PC- based systems using C++ and network programming algorithms and their interaction with physical devices.
                      Svartalf, you should apply! Your experience of porting games to linux must be a huge differential, right?

Here is the link btw!

Comment

Working...
                      X