Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    In Russia, software often costs way more than hardware
    False. Win7 cost just $10 with PC, games in Steam $5-15, indie usually below $5. For example Witcher 2 right now cost $14, Crysis 2 cost $10, StarCraft 2 cost $15.
    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    2nd point, for "legal" software russian customers often recieve untranslated versions
    False too. In fact many gamers here doesn't like complete translations and ask publishers to translate only subtitles and interface, not dialogs.
    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    without any support
    What you mean under "support" here?

Comment

• Originally posted by Hit in the Head View Post
      - Added initial support for the Community Overlay in Mac games hosted by Wine. Currently validated with The Witcher

Why bother with Wine support...? Combine that with the letter...?
      Some Mac games are ported with Wine (which may mean they're run in a Wine binary, or simply that they're recompiled using Wine libs for platform support). Probably not a huge surprise at all to anyone. All that means is that those games now work properly with the specified overlay. Apparently they didn't before. No news here.

And ignore crazycheese. The following site feature will help you avoid his (and certain specific others') fabricated facts and endlessly clueless rage-fueled nonsense: http://phoronix.com/forums/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Comment

- Added initial support for the Community Overlay in Mac games hosted by Wine. Currently validated with The Witcher

Even on Mac they use Wine? I thought that at least there they were making an effort of releasing native games. It probably means that if Steam ever comes to linux it will be all Wine probably.

Comment

• Originally posted by devius View Post
          Even on Mac they use Wine? I thought that at least there they were making an effort of releasing native games. It probably means that if Steam ever comes to linux it will be all Wine probably.
          Sad, but true. I think that the very sales model we have today has a flaw which leads to degeneration of games. Pay once for everything upfront. This forces the industry to constantly create new products, which inevitably leads to quality loss. Imagine you pay a small, but regular fee for every update of your favourite game. Imagine your first game you played and loved running with enhanced graphics on modern computer after so many years, with so much added content. It would be possible, if only the other sales model had been established.

Comment

• At least the Steam client itself (i guess) is not running in wine...?

Comment

Also this: Dear Esther: A Source Engine Game On Linux

Comment

• http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=17290

Comment

• http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/Linux

Comment

• I'd be inclined to gloat, but rather I'll say that this is an AWESOME turn of events. Much like the story with AMD... ;-D

Comment

• Originally posted by Hirager View Post
                      Sad, but true. I think that the very sales model we have today has a flaw which leads to degeneration of games. Pay once for everything upfront. This forces the industry to constantly create new products, which inevitably leads to quality loss. Imagine you pay a small, but regular fee for every update of your favourite game. Imagine your first game you played and loved running with enhanced graphics on modern computer after so many years, with so much added content. It would be possible, if only the other sales model had been established.
                      Now, if only you could convince them of that. This one has origins from the beginnings of the home computer era.

Comment

Working...
                      X