Here's The First Screenshot Of The Linux Steam Client

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please guys, stop this !

Do NOT hack steam binaries ! And if you really want to, don't post any screenies/files etc.. !

Guys, what do you think Valve will think about this ?!?! The client
    isn't even released and it already gets hacked ?

Ugly..

Please Michael, remove this news from the phoronix main site.
    And guys, please don't post links to modified steam binaries.
    Thats surely breaking some valve license regulations.

Please guys, wait for the official release and simple be patient.

Comment

Originally posted by christian_frank View Post
      Please guys, stop this !

Do NOT hack steam binaries ! And if you really want to, don't post any screenies/files etc.. !

Ugly..

Hello. Welcome to Internet, also know as "Cyberspace" and the "Information Superhighway" in the nineties. While it's not required, we ask that here on the "Internet" that people maintain an IQ above 4.

No binaries have been posted, just patches that fix bugs.

Comment

Please guys, stop this !

Ugly..

Between this and Windows game cracks, I think Valve will manage to survive. They've shown to be a remarkably smart company. The second that they don't want us to poke around anymore, they will surely move the files to a hidden location. It's not like Valve doesn't know about this, while the rest of the world has read it on all the tech sites.

Yes, besides illegal, redistributing the files would be crossing the line. We have to give Valve all the power to end this, if they want.

Comment

I'll still wait for official word from Valve before I get excited. Even then, I'll remain sceptical until both official word and official files are released.

Comment

Please guys, stop this !

Ugly..

It seems that you didn't do your homework, but anyways, for you and others that keep saying "Don't hack steam!!!!"

1) I never uploaded any binary, only a binary patch which is 192 bytes.
            2) I didn't really hack it because its not like i bypassed security checks. From my view, i only fixed 2 bugs that made the program quit early, one is a bug that prevented the libraries from loading because of unresolved references and the second is some other function always failing for no apparent reason.
            3) It seems Valve doesn't care:
            * They didn't care about people playing and trying to hack the Mac OS closed beta client.
            * They didn't care when people uploaded or obtained cracked steam for windows (if you remember those days).
            * The client is still up, reachable and downloadable by everyone.

Why did i do it? I had enough rumors of steam linux client coming, not coming, etc. I wanted to see an evidence for myself that those files are indeed a possible client, so i worked on trying to get it to display a native X11 steam window. Nothing further, after i got that, i have no reason to continue because i saw what i wanted to see.
            Some people suggested that i should send my findings to Valve to make them aware of those most likely bugs.

Anyways if anyone has any problem about what i did, i'm in #phoronix in freenode.

mastertheknife.

Comment

Haha, I believe Michael is trying to overhype this issue so that Valve will finally get their fat arses up and declare it's true.

Not that I'd overly care, but it seems to be working. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post
                Haha, I believe Michael is trying to overhype this issue so that Valve will finally get their fat arses up and declare it's true.

Hey, don't give the masterplan away!

Comment

Originally posted by susikala View Post

Nah, the simple truth is that all this steam-related articles bring in much more page-views than pretty much all others. Just for that reason Michael definitely won't let the topic rest until there's official confirmation, but will make a new news for every single new string containing linux he'll find anywhere near steam.
                  Can't really blame him for that, but still, it gets annoying.

Comment

Please guys, stop this !
                    Yeah before you know, some people are going to die!

Wait... what? We're making a collection of some free of charge computer instruction communicate with Linux API/ABI's without breaking any kind of copy protection or DMCA pratices?

Lol

Comment

mastertheknife is a Valve employee and just want to know how many people are interested in a Linux version.

Comment

Working...
                      X