Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valve Updates Its Unreleased Steam Linux Client

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    also, I think the steam build doesn't work on non SSE2/+ processors..

    ..like my athlon xp.

    Comment


    • #17
      Steam For Linux...............

      I can't wait for the article on Phoronix about how Steam on linux didn't start the linux game revolution like people thought. It can sit next to yet_another_boring_distro_benchmark articles.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by ronybeck View Post
        I can't wait for the article on Phoronix about how Steam on linux didn't start the linux game revolution like people thought. It can sit next to yet_another_boring_distro_benchmark articles.
        i'm not sure if revolution is neccessarily the right word, but i would be somewhat suprised to see this not go over well enough for more people ot start considering linux as a platform - even if its just indie developers, that could still result in a much improved situation.

        i know elecorn has publicly stated he was shocked at the amount of linux sales he had. granted - caster is a 5 dollar game, but by the same token, orange box is a pretty awesome deal as well.

        Comment


        • #19
          Oh oh, Valve felt uncomfortable and removed the Linux files from their server. If you ask me, it was probably Apple who did not find this funny at all as they probably want to do some big advertisements for Steam on Mac soon.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            Oh oh, Valve felt uncomfortable and removed the Linux files from their server. If you ask me, it was probably Apple who did not find this funny at all as they probably want to do some big advertisements for Steam on Mac soon.
            Well, the actual files as in binaries are still on the server, they took down the file that pointed to the file names though.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by d2kx View Post
              Well, the actual files as in binaries are still on the server, they took down the file that pointed to the file names though.
              Did you try bins_linux and steam_linux? I am unable to fetch them.. however, skins_all and public_all are working..

              Comment


              • #22
                yeah where are they, and if someone downloaded the files earlier just upload it, also i downloaded the mac version of steam, mounted the dmg, and ran steam.sh, and it said
                [CODEjohn@john-laptop:/mnt/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS$ ./steam.sh
                ./steam.sh: line 27: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
                ./steam.sh: line 34: /mnt/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/linux32/steam: No such file or directory
                ][/CODE]
                and amazed, i took a peek at the file and this is what i saw
                Code:
                # directory lives - and all this in a subshell, so we don't affect
                # $PWD
                
                STEAMROOT=$(cd "${0%/*}" && echo $PWD)
                
                #determine platform
                UNAME=`uname`
                if [ "$UNAME" == "Darwin" ]; then
                   PLATFORM=osx32
                   # prepend our lib path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH
                   export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH="${STEAMROOT}"/${PLATFORM}:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH
                elif [ "$UNAME" == "Linux" ]; then
                   PLATFORM=linux32
                   # prepend our lib path to LD_LIBRARY_PATH
                   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${STEAMROOT}"/${PLATFORM}:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
                fi
                
                if [ -z $STEAMEXE ]; then
                  STEAMEXE=steam
                fi
                
                ulimit -n 2048
                
                # and launch steam
                cd "$STEAMROOT"
                
                STATUS=42
                while [ $STATUS -eq 42 ]; do
                        ${DEBUGGER} "${STEAMROOT}"/${PLATFORM}/${STEAMEXE} $@
                        STATUS=$?
                        # are we running osx?
                        if [ $STATUS -eq 42 -a ${PLATFORM} == "osx32" -a -f Info.plist ]; then
                                # are we running from in a bundle?
                                exec open "${STEAMROOT}"/../..
                        fi
                done
                exit $STATUS

                Comment

                Working...
                X