Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There Is No Doubt, Steam Is Coming To Linux!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@aliendude5300

I highly doubt that there will be a 64 bit linux version soon. Also i think an official installer will come out before that happens

This was mainly to show that scripts can be always written shorter. Using only curl is even shorter but thats only preinstalled on fedora - wget is there on debian usally. Well you always need unzip...

Comment

Excellent. Hopefully, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris and Haiku ports are next!

Seriously though, Source games on Linux: Want. Steam will definitely be coming, but the games? If they are, it might just be HL2 and CS:S initially, maybe Portal 2. But even that would rock.

Comment

Originally posted by philcostin View Post
        Seriously though, Source games on Linux: Want. Steam will definitely be coming, but the games? If they are, it might just be HL2 and CS:S initially, maybe Portal 2. But even that would rock.
        If they are sucessful to port the Source Engine, then most games should come at little cost after that.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
          I'm starting to like the picture, actually. Maybe this will bring some sanity to distro development.
          Hopefully! Perhaps give the Linux Standard Base project a boost in the right direction, whatever it takes to solve the lack of a universal software installation mechanism(s) problem(s). It shouldn't matter what distro you're on, or if the software you're attempting to install is closed or open source, but a program should always be able to ask for the libraries it needs to use and get them installed on any distro, install itself, put a menu shortcut in for the user to launch it, and register with the software add/remove mechanism so the user can easily remove it later if they should so choose.

Comment

Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
            Linux support a nightmare? bla bla bla bla...

Epic ever had a problem? id ever had a problem? Fscking astroturfing nonsence FUD...
            Support for newbies is a bit different but not too bad... While most command-line programs will be there across distros, just dealing with a different user interface can be a challenge. Fortunately, Gnome and KDE are mostly the same across distros and are pretty standard, so I mostly agree with you and don't think it's that huge of a concern.

Yes, there will be issues encountered which are only effecting certain distros and versions, but that's really just one more thing to throw into the mix as you already have support dealing with certainly problems only effecting certain hardware, and different Windows versions, etc, so it will be like anything else support has to deal with. What you could have if all else fails is simply a select few distros and versions that you officially support that you can tell someone "okay, well I apologize, and we're still investigating whether or not the issue is due to your sound card or not, but until then we haven't ever had this problem with Fedora/Ubuntu/whatever version whatever, so we'd recommend trying it there from a liveCD or USB installation" blahblahblah...just some ideas. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
              They could be developing the client on Linux for Mac OS X. The fact that the files have support for Linux does not mean that they actually intend to support it. The best that you can conclude that Linux users will get is unofficial support without an official announcement.
              This is sadly too often the case, and it could be by design or it could be more "natural". But regardless, even if Valve doesn't shout too loudly about Linux support or if they end up burying the visibility of Linux support due to some Microsoft Money or whatever reasons, the blogs, YouTube videos, forums, news sites, and other Internet noise via the usual social networking / community / collaborative pathways will make up for that.

Comment

http://store.steampowered.com/public...m_client_linux just started 404'ing.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  My fix for the solution is to just go to the GNOME menu and launch a new program (like GNOME's Calculator) and that restores the cursor.
                  Not sure if its the same thing you are talking about but I launched the steam executable and my mouse disappeared, I think it might be related to compiz, I hit alt+F2 and ran compiz --replace and everything went back to normal. I did notice the the mouse cursor appeared over icons on my desktop but no where else.

Comment

Originally posted by GNU/Blind View Post
                    Not sure if its the same thing you are talking about but I launched the steam executable and my mouse disappeared, I think it might be related to compiz, I hit alt+F2 and ran compiz --replace and everything went back to normal. I did notice the the mouse cursor appeared over icons on my desktop but no where else.
                    That reminds me, steam should have a feature hard-coded into it to disable compiz when launching a game and then re enable it after leaving the game. Anyone have any idea if compiz has such capabilities built into its libs that applications can disable/suspend it with a simple library call?

Comment

It's not compiz related. This also happens without compiz.

Comment

Allow me to give my two cents here:

It's coming to Linux, if you do a bit of research, it's completely logical.

How did I reach this conclusion?

Postal 3 is coming to Linux, natively. Running With Scissors and their various development partners have been using the Source Engine with their new game, and they're promising native Linux and OSX support, meaning that Valve is probably using their ported versions of the engine and simply developing the Steam client to accommodate the users and make it easier for RWS to get their cash by using Steam's authentication system. Almost every game running on the Source engine has been released on Steam (save the Kuma games), so it's an obvious choice for RWS to use Steam as their content delivery system.

Time for me to excitedly twiddle my thumbs until Valve confirms this.

Comment

http://store.steampowered.com/public...m_client_linux is gone.. bins_linux.zip.232c70b3e732009cab1858499ca4f1c92ff d7367 and steam_linux.zip.52367793a26b83abc84871770277e1b8d7 7608bc too...
                          Ideas?

Comment

Maybe to much traffic generated by this forum and news sites referring to this news, like Golem.de and WinFuture from germany.

Comment

Originally posted by dopehouse View Post
                              Maybe to much traffic generated by this forum and news sites referring to this news, like Golem.de and WinFuture from germany.
                              I think they pulled it, probably because they realized people were accessing it without it even being announced yet. Regardless, we now have some major proof of a Linux client in the works...

Comment

Originally posted by GNU/Blind View Post
                                The xserver is making a login box for steam but there must be some missing function calls to dependencies to create the actual login dialog. It has nothing to do with compiz.

Can't wait for PacSteamLinux.

Comment

Working...
                                X