Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet More Signs Of Valve's Steam On Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by V!NCENT View Post
    2.2 and 2.4 only have drivers for VERY OLD HARDWARE that you CANNOT run SOURCE games on.

    Are you retarted
    Well, while the graphics probably wouldn't work, having an app that could be used for downloading and updating the dedicated servers would be handy. And those have no particular requirements outside raw CPU speed and a good network connection. Both quite possible with older kernels.

    Comment


    • #17
      You don't even need good network connection since steam is more or less just IE in disguise (and paired with a bunch of broken social-network features :P )

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
        You don't even need good network connection since steam is more or less just IE in disguise (and paired with a bunch of broken social-network features :P )
        Well, with Steam moving over to WebKit that won't be the case anymore. It'll be Safari in disguise instead!

        Comment


        • #19
          Steam has already switched to WebKit, at least for all the beta users.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Peterix View Post
            Well, while the graphics probably wouldn't work, having an app that could be used for downloading and updating the dedicated servers would be handy. And those have no particular requirements outside raw CPU speed and a good network connection. Both quite possible with older kernels.
            You shouldn't be running a server on older kernels... unless you want to get hacked even the patched versions probably have quite a few holes as they become less used.'

            Shouldn't it also be possible to run the server on netbsd with linux emulation?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by pvtcupcakes View Post
              I'm skeptical of this info. It lists X360 as well, but I'm pretty sure Steam isn't coming to the Xbox.
              They already had to sort of porting for the Xbox. Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2 and The Orange Box are ported on to there, so they've implemented some back end for those games to work. They probably have a hacked up steam client library that allows L4D to use it's built in lobby system with Live.

              Comment


              • #22
                Might have some more news to post shortly... Or may wait till tomorrow due to the already bunches of Steam news today.
                Michael Larabel
                http://www.michaellarabel.com/

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Might have some more news to post shortly... Or may wait till tomorrow due to the already bunches of Steam news today.
                  Please do tell!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    What's this all about anyway? Isn't steam just the client for that DRM crap??

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      It's just DRM crap... calling it a client would be a bit far fetched :P

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        Might have some more news to post shortly... Or may wait till tomorrow due to the already bunches of Steam news today.
                        I'd like to know as soon as possible, thanks for all the hard work on your research!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by not.sure View Post
                          What's this all about anyway? Isn't steam just the client for that DRM crap??
                          While all DRM is bad, Steam actually is fairly unnoticeable. Valve lets you install the game on as many computers as you like, but only one can be connected to their network at a time. Unlike Ubisoft's DRM you can actually play offline too.

                          I'd take that over not having the games at all.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            It'd be great if Valve had even a closed beta for the Linux client. I'm sure there are plenty of Phoronix viewers that would love to get in on that. Even if they only had one game working it'd be worth it.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by srg_13 View Post
                              While all DRM is bad, Steam actually is fairly unnoticeable. Valve lets you install the game on as many computers as you like, but only one can be connected to their network at a time.
                              Maybe more specific, if you have more than one game in your steam account and you installed steam on more than one computer, you can play one game on one computer and another game on another computer, both with the same steam account.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Can people stop with that "offline" myth? It's not working... never has... never will.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X