Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proof In Steam's Mac Client Of Linux Support

Phoronix: Proof In Steam's Mac Client Of Linux Support

We have our hands on the bash launcher used by Valve's Steam client for Mac OS X that was recently announced -- along with the Source Engine for OS X -- and is currently in closed beta. While such scripts are usually insignificant, there is something interesting within it and that is explicit support for Linux.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=14823

If this is true I'll be able to play my source games once again. (I refuse to use wine) Which will be awesome!

Comment

Good things come to those who wait :-)

They do focus on Apple right now, because Apple wants the showlight, Valve gets the money. But Linux support will happen as the next step of the Steam evolution.

Comment

i think it's just for servers, where valve will ship a unified *nix package

Comment

There's been rumors about internal Linux builds, but that doesn't mean that they plan on releasing it. I'd love to be proved wrong though...

Comment

It's a poor script -- the uname command will return Linux on any architecture I'm pretty sure, which seems at odds with what looks like assuming a 32 system..

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
              There's been rumors about internal Linux builds, but that doesn't mean that they plan on releasing it. I'd love to be proved wrong though...
              ++

Half-life 2 the last FPS I actually enjoyed playing. I'd love to play ep3 natively on Linux.

Comment

I'm not surprised that they run and test Steam/Source games on Linux at Valve, but how long it takes them to make Steam on Linux available outside is another question altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by sloggerKhan View Post
                  It's a poor script -- the uname command will return Linux on any architecture I'm pretty sure, which seems at odds with what looks like assuming a 32 system..
                  Is there a 64 bit Windows build of Steam? Perhaps they only have a 32 bit Linux build at the moment.

Comment

Yaaaaay!

Also, submitted to Slashdot.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJ View Post
                      If this is true I'll be able to play my source games once again. (I refuse to use wine) Which will be awesome!
                      Same here, I've even sent valve e-mails about it.

Comment

Steam client for serverside perhaps; For desktop games, I doubt Valve would be far behind on that. It would be really smart of them to target at least Android IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueKoala View Post
                          Steam client for serverside perhaps; For desktop games, I doubt Valve would be far behind on that. It would be really smart of them to target at least Android IMO.
                          Depends on the game. Many of them would probably work decently enough in native mode on the platform so long as you had a beefy enough SoC (CortexA8/A9 or similar, coupled with a decent DSP and GPU...)- but many of the titles they're peddling with Steam won't go. Caster would, but I've not heard of them being interested in providing the client for any Linux derived platform- save for here, of course...

Comment

Would be certainly interesting to have got a Linux client. Best would be of course when you could buy a game once and run it on any plattform possible. I don't see the reason in buying specific binaries. Caster can be converted usually using the demo binaries too, but maybe that does not apply to all games. Buy once, play on the plattform you just use, thats the way to go.

Comment

Linux

I imagine they have test builds run on linux to weed out extra bugs caused by nonportable code. It would help their xbox and ps3 efforts. I also think they must be thinking of kiosks in gaming shops running Linux and Steam for cheap in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X