Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenArena 0.8.5 Is Out With Small Changes

Phoronix: OpenArena 0.8.5 Is Out With Small Changes

While the ioquake3-powered OpenArena game is not as advanced or popular as say Nexuiz, it is a fairly popular free software game amongst those using an open-source Mesa3D driver stack. It's not too graphically rich yet provides competitive and fun FPS game-play -- it can also be used for Mesa driver benchmarking. The last notable release of OpenArena was OpenArena 0.8.1 and it came way back near the end of 2008...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=ODAwOQ

Sounds cool. I haven't played recently, but when it hits Debian sid, I'll check it out.

Comment

Open Arena remains one of the most fun shooters around. Not as high-tech as many other games (though the new flare and bloom effects are cool), but very addictive, fast-paced and tongue-in-cheek hilarious.

A very welcome change from all the ultra-serious big-strong-man shooters.

Comment

Ok, how do I apply this patch? Please, anyone?

Comment

I am looking for some shooters, I am new linux user (Suse 11.2), some recommendations of games?

Comment

OpenArena is great if you liked Quake3. You could also try QuakeLive (it works in Firefox).

Also try Nexuiz, it has a large community and very good graphics. The feeling is more like UT than Quake.

There are a million others, like XReal, WarSow (really fast), Alien Arena, Sauerbraten, and many more.

Comment

Don't forget Urban Terror.

Comment

Originally posted by williamthrilliam View Post
                Ok, how do I apply this patch? Please, anyone?
                A bit old, but whatever...

Simply extract the archive over your 0.8.1 installation. It will overwrite some files and add some new ones.

You are done.

Comment

Working...
                X