Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CrossOver Games 8.1 Released, Supports L4D2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CrossOver Games 8.1 Released, Supports L4D2

    Phoronix: CrossOver Games 8.1 Released, Supports L4D2

    CodeWeavers had released CrossOver Games 8.0 back in September, but now this morning they have put out CrossOver Games 8.1. The main addition in CrossOver Games 8.1 is support for Left 4 Dead 2, the much-anticipated Windows game created by Valve Corporation that was actually just released yesterday as the sequel to Left 4 Dead...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzcxNw

  • #2
    How's the performance on L4D(2)? I don't expect native, but if it's playable, woohoo!

    L4D was just barely playable on my MacBook Pro 13" (2.53 GHz, nvidia 9400) with the settings on low. I'm not expecting much, but any performance gain would be wonderful.

    CrossOver is really starting to look attractive as the list of games supported grows.

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm really interested in figuring out what's the big deal about CrossOver Games. Do people support it just out of pure hatred for Microsoft? CrossOver is $40 a year, but a new copy of Windows XP Pro is only $50 bucks (or less) on eBay.

      Why not just dual boot?

      Comment


      • #4
        Not surprising that they released it after all the freebie lameduck versions are out of support.

        Joe Sixpack, the $40 a year guarantee's you the latest version of Crossover, the software will still continue to function after the year is up. There are multiple reasons that a person may not want to have Windows on there. To run a handful of apps it may seem to be a waste for some to have to install a whole additional OS just for those few apps. Plus when you purchase codeweavers products you are also contributing to wine development.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by deanjo View Post

          1) the software will still continue to function after the year is up.

          2) To run a handful of apps it may seem to be a waste for some to have to install a whole additional OS just for those few apps.

          3) Plus when you purchase codeweavers products you are also contributing to wine development.
          #1 was very helpful, and #2 was a very good point. I've heard #3 debated to the max lol.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Joe Sixpack View Post
            #1 was very helpful, and #2 was a very good point. I've heard #3 debated to the max lol.
            By "debated" do you mean uninformed accusations against CodeWeavers being easily shot down? Not much of a debate from what I can see. Wine simply would not be as good as it is today if not for CodeWeavers.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Rhettigan View Post
              How's the performance on L4D(2)? I don't expect native, but if it's playable, woohoo!

              L4D was just barely playable on my MacBook Pro 13" (2.53 GHz, nvidia 9400) with the settings on low. I'm not expecting much, but any performance gain would be wonderful.

              CrossOver is really starting to look attractive as the list of games supported grows.
              The L4D2 demo plays fine on my system (w/EN9800GTX+) with all effects turned to high and shaders at very high (I was playing in 1360x768 windowed mode). I wasn't using CrossOver Games either, that's under plain Wine.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                By "debated" do you mean uninformed accusations against CodeWeavers being easily shot down? Not much of a debate from what I can see. Wine simply would not be as good as it is today if not for CodeWeavers.
                I guess you can say that. I made that comment to say that I've heard that point already from pro CodeWeavers people. I can't say what Wine would or wouldn't be if it weren't for CodeWeavers. Linux/OSS has about 1000 divisive debates, but that's one that I always tend to sit out on. As of this moment, I'm back on XP for a while anyways.

                (I'm a dual booter, and I'm on a gaming kick right now...)
                Last edited by Joe Sixpack; 11-19-2009, 01:32 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  tbh L4D 2 crashes when the map restart (when everyone dies) it's painful but when you get the map done it runs pretty fine. I hope that CodeWeavers can improve their support for L4D 2 soon!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Someone has Team Fortress 2 running on a 3870 with FGLRX (wine or CrossOver Games)?
                    TF2 is crashing when starting a map (I do see the part with the intro movie of a map)

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X