Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Game Comes To Linux And It's Not A FPS

Phoronix: A New Game Comes To Linux And It's Not A FPS

While quality native Linux games are rather in short supply, those that do end up coming out of the professional game studios end up being first-person shooters, just look at Doom 3, Quake 4, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, Cold War, Unreal Tournament 2004, etc. Even on the open-source side there are many first-person shooters from Nexuiz to Warsow to many others...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzcwNw

Come on, for god's sake. Not again such a "mini game".

Comment

I prefer Dragon Age: Origins :P

Comment

Good.
        There is a player for every game.
        more available (games), more happy people.
        I don't like to reboot for "just to play some game".
        I hope that some day i'll not have to do it anymore (not because i quit gaming or switched to console)

Comment

Now what really lacks on linux is a AAAA race simulator, some kind of "racedriver grid" or "gran turismo"...

Comment

Not another FPS?! What the...

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
              Now what really lacks on linux is a AAAA race simulator, some kind of "racedriver grid" or "gran turismo"...
              Exactly, I'd love to play some good racing game on Linux.

Comment

I get:
                $ quantz
                quantz: radeon_mipmap_tree.c:117: compute_tex_image_offset: Assertion `lvl->size > 0' failed.
                Aborted
                $
                when I click on the "symbol" to start the game or if I want to skip intro by clicking the mouse. Kubuntu 9.10, ATI Radeon 9600 AGP 256MB - open source radeon driver version 6.12.99+git20090929.7968e1fb-0ubuntu1.

Anyone knows where to report this bug?

Comment

sounds good and looks interesting. unfortunately there's no amd64-build available, and the x86-build require a libxcb.so.1 which appears to be not included in gentoos emul-linux-x86-xlibs.

Comment

Sound is not always working here and when i use keytouch to change volume while in game i can not end it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Zhick View Post
                      sounds good and looks interesting. unfortunately there's no amd64-build available, and the x86-build require a libxcb.so.1 which appears to be not included in gentoos emul-linux-x86-xlibs.
                      Ah I got it working by extracting a fedora-x86 libxcb-rpm and putting the libxcb.so.1 into /usr/lib32... ugly hack, I know. :>
                      But now sound isn't working. Apparently it uses oss ...
                      Code:
                      AL lib: oss.c:179: Could not open /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
                      alcOpenDevice failed
                      But that can be fixed by using aoss32 to start it.

Comment

Code:
                        AL lib: oss.c:179: Could not open /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
                        alcOpenDevice failed
                        But that can be fixed by using aoss32 to start it.
                        [delete]What? Please elaborate.[/delete]I found out the game uses openAL, which can be set to use alsa through ~/.alsoftrc (see /usr/share/doc/libopenal1/examples/alsoftrc.sample.gz), but that fails too:
                        Code:
                        $ quantz 
                        alcOpenDevice failed
                        Kubuntu Karmic on amd64 here (no Pulseaudio installed).
                        Edit: apparently the aoss is called alsa-oss in ubuntu's packages. The problem is, if it's CPUarch-specific, then the amd64 is of no use to me? Can't see the 386 version anywhere. Time for the plain-old download-deb-and-install routine, sigh.
                        Last edited by myxal; 11-14-2009, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
                          Those are silly games, anyway. If you so much as touch the wheel/stick your car spins out uncontrollably.

Comment

Originally posted by myxal View Post
                            What? Please elaborate. I found out the game uses openAL, which can be set to use alsa through ~/.alsoftrc (see /usr/share/doc/libopenal1/examples/alsoftrc.sample.gz), but that fails too:
                            Code:
                            $ quantz 
                            alcOpenDevice failed
                            Kubuntu Karmic on amd64 here (no Pulseaudio installed).
                            Ah, apparently I've been wrong. It just seems to be OpenAL which is configured to use oss by default, not the game itself.
                            I created a .alsoftrc with
                            Code:
                            drivers = alsa,oss,solaris,dsound,winmm,port,pulse,wave
                            but there's still no sound when I launch the game normally. Maybe the libopenal.so.1 they ship with doesn't support alsa and thus defaults to oss?
                            Anyway, using
                            Code:
                            aoss32 ./Quantz
                            to launch the game still works for me.

Comment

Ah, apparently I've been wrong. It just seems to be OpenAL which is configured to use oss by default, not the game itself.
                              I created a .alsoftrc with
                              Code:
                              drivers = alsa,oss,solaris,dsound,winmm,port,pulse,wave
                              but there's still no sound when I launch the game normally. Maybe the libopenal.so.1 they ship with doesn't support alsa and thus defaults to oss?
                              Anyway, using
                              Code:
                              aoss32 ./Quantz
                              to launch the game still works for me.
                              I suspect there's just some random bug with libopenal1 using alsa, as the "cannot open /dev/dsp" line disappeared after setting the alsoftrc file.
                              Anyway, since ubuntu doesn't provide aoss32 to amd64 users, I had to get the 386 package here, install with --force-architecture, then move the files from lib64 to lib32. $DEITY damn knows I hate these stupid hacks. Works now, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X