Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A New Game Comes To Linux And It's Not A FPS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by Zhick View Post
    sounds good and looks interesting. unfortunately there's no amd64-build available, and the x86-build require a libxcb.so.1 which appears to be not included in gentoos emul-linux-x86-xlibs.
    Ah I got it working by extracting a fedora-x86 libxcb-rpm and putting the libxcb.so.1 into /usr/lib32... ugly hack, I know. :>
    But now sound isn't working. Apparently it uses oss ...
    Code:
    AL lib: oss.c:179: Could not open /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
    alcOpenDevice failed
    But that can be fixed by using aoss32 to start it.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by Zhick View Post
      Code:
      AL lib: oss.c:179: Could not open /dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
      alcOpenDevice failed
      But that can be fixed by using aoss32 to start it.
      [delete]What? Please elaborate.[/delete]I found out the game uses openAL, which can be set to use alsa through ~/.alsoftrc (see /usr/share/doc/libopenal1/examples/alsoftrc.sample.gz), but that fails too:
      Code:
      $ quantz 
      alcOpenDevice failed
      Kubuntu Karmic on amd64 here (no Pulseaudio installed).
      Edit: apparently the aoss is called alsa-oss in ubuntu's packages. The problem is, if it's CPUarch-specific, then the amd64 is of no use to me? Can't see the 386 version anywhere. Time for the plain-old download-deb-and-install routine, sigh.
      Last edited by myxal; 11-14-2009, 01:35 PM.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux View Post
        Now what really lacks on linux is a AAAA race simulator, some kind of "racedriver grid" or "gran turismo"...
        Those are silly games, anyway. If you so much as touch the wheel/stick your car spins out uncontrollably.

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by myxal View Post
          What? Please elaborate. I found out the game uses openAL, which can be set to use alsa through ~/.alsoftrc (see /usr/share/doc/libopenal1/examples/alsoftrc.sample.gz), but that fails too:
          Code:
          $ quantz 
          alcOpenDevice failed
          Kubuntu Karmic on amd64 here (no Pulseaudio installed).
          Ah, apparently I've been wrong. It just seems to be OpenAL which is configured to use oss by default, not the game itself.
          I created a .alsoftrc with
          Code:
          drivers = alsa,oss,solaris,dsound,winmm,port,pulse,wave
          but there's still no sound when I launch the game normally. Maybe the libopenal.so.1 they ship with doesn't support alsa and thus defaults to oss?
          Anyway, using
          Code:
          aoss32 ./Quantz
          to launch the game still works for me.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by Zhick View Post
            Ah, apparently I've been wrong. It just seems to be OpenAL which is configured to use oss by default, not the game itself.
            I created a .alsoftrc with
            Code:
            drivers = alsa,oss,solaris,dsound,winmm,port,pulse,wave
            but there's still no sound when I launch the game normally. Maybe the libopenal.so.1 they ship with doesn't support alsa and thus defaults to oss?
            Anyway, using
            Code:
            aoss32 ./Quantz
            to launch the game still works for me.
            I suspect there's just some random bug with libopenal1 using alsa, as the "cannot open /dev/dsp" line disappeared after setting the alsoftrc file.
            Anyway, since ubuntu doesn't provide aoss32 to amd64 users, I had to get the 386 package here, install with --force-architecture, then move the files from lib64 to lib32. $DEITY damn knows I hate these stupid hacks. Works now, though.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by Fixxer_Linux
              Now what really lacks on linux is a AAAA race simulator, some kind of "racedriver grid" or "gran turismo"...
              Originally posted by kraftman View Post
              Exactly, I'd love to play some good racing game on Linux.
              Have you checked Racer out? It's a simulator rather than a game. The physics look absolutely awesome.

              Comment


              • #17
                Would anyone mind sharing the .deb or .tar.gz? The links on Reddit are all dead.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Yeah, the links are dead for me as well.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Looks pretty sharp. It's no triple-A title, but that's fine. Most of the game industry is not triple-A titles.

                    Only sad part is that installing this _now_ might be easy, but 2-3 distro releases from now it'll be impossible for any non-uber-nerd to figure out how to get the software installed and running on Linux.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                      Exactly, I'd love to play some good racing game on Linux.
                      it's not much, but vdrift is a nice game working to become a gran turismo influenced racing sim. it's pretty okay.

                      torcs is another, but i don't like it much. and i know you're talking about racing sims, but supertuxkart is a pretty nice arcade, mario kart-style game.

                      i agree though, just one commercial quality racing sim......

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X