Good News, id Tech 5 Is Likely Coming To Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djack View Post
    What good would Q3L do released under the GPL?
    For starters: bug fixes and non-x86 hardware support.

@Dungeon: Turn on V-sync or up the graphics

Comment

Originally posted by whizse View Post
      Yeah, although I think Carmack's ego plays a role here too. He's good, and he knows it. Releasing the source means others can learn from (or admire) him
      A little of both, I suspect. The man's DEFINITELY sharp (The game engines he's graced us with and Armadillo Aerospace shows it...). Had the good fortune to work with him on the Utah-GLX project.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
        Not just that, J.C. was funded Mesa developers and give driver optimization instructions for Q3:
        Heh... He did a BIT more than that. He provided part of the code that was used for Utah-GLX (He made it possible for a ATI RagePRO to run without special configuration...just drop the Utah-GLX drivers in on things and then reboot the machine to ensure you had enough kernelspace memory to allocate in a single contiguous chunk...).

Comment

It is great news. I mean if something is OpenGL then the GPU type should not matter.

Comment

Artwork and platforms

How platform independent is the artwork?

It seems as if they have nearly all the artwork ready and still are fiddling with the engine. But, IIRC platforms used to have different requirements also for artwork, like texture size, and color depths. Is that time long gone so that they can have a set of artwork ready and it will work on all platforms immediately?

Comment

Originally posted by dcutegirl View Post
              It is great news. I mean if something is OpenGL then the GPU type should not matter.
              Well that depends. In theory you're right. But in reality you need a decent driver that is deciding/knowing about the capabilities of the GPU. What can be done by GPU and what is left to do for the CPU? And if you use CPU you still need all that stuff implemented in software. And it will be slower on a general purpose x86 CPU than on a "semi-ASIC" like today's GPU shaders are.
              And most (free) drivers are not too far when it comes to OpenGL. A few even don't have anything to offer (VIA etc.).
              Furthermore we still have problems like S3TC, if that is used by the game.
              Also as mentioned older GPUs might be limited when it comes to large textures, though when I think of embedded devices id5 was announced for this shouldn't be the big problem.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Oh thanks suokko, do you know is this really implemented in some fglrx driver for any consumer class hardware?

As a mesa developer do you have plan to implement it? That will be very very hard i think.
                its is in fglrx afaik
                Unigine Heaven has Tesselation and it works with my 5770
                or its not the same one?

also i think fglrx are fine enaugh to play most of the native games.
                however there are some problems with wine gaming.

opensource drivers atm are too much behind, thus quite useless for gaming imo.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  no games using id Tech 5 will make it out until at least next year.
                  Isn't the release date for Rage set for October 4, 2011? That's not next year, that's 50 days from now :-)

Comment

i wonder why resurrect such an old topic while there are newer topics about this specific subject?

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                      Isn't the release date for Rage set for October 4, 2011? That's not next year, that's 50 days from now :-)
                      That's because this is a case of someone performing necromancy on a really old thread.

Comment

Working...
                      X