Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good News, id Tech 5 Is Likely Coming To Linux

Phoronix: Good News, id Tech 5 Is Likely Coming To Linux

Contrary to earlier reports stating that the forthcoming id Tech 5 engine from id Software would likely not be ported to Linux due to the involved work, cost, and lackluster Linux graphics drivers (according to John Carmack), it looks like we will end up seeing this next-generation game engine running with Linux.Timothee Besset (perhaps better known as TTimo) has written a blog post that clears up the situation. Timothee is largely responsible for all of id Software's game client and server ports to Linux, like with Enemy Territory: Quake Wars...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzUzNg

Great news ;-) can't wait.

Comment

5% is a significant number.

Are you paying attention, hardware manufacturers!?

Comment

Ah, good old TTimo!

Comment

l33f3r juz soiled himself at the sight of the article title.

I am 1 happy fella.

Comment

Considering some of the reviews I've seen for Wolfenstein, it would not appear we are missing much actually.
            It's more exciting to hear about id tech 5 actually.

Comment

wolfenstein is actually not a bad game. I found it to be a little short and the traveling to different parts of town to be stupid but it wasn't bad. Not as good at RTCW was tho.

Comment

i'm shocked I thought that Id Soft had abandoned us for good! Wolfenstein in single player is good but the MP lacks of "je ne sais quoi"...

Comment

Good news, the Dacia Sandero is coming to Europe!

Okay, so it's for Linux so it is a big deal, any notable proprietary software on Linux is a big deal. But still, Carmack is a fallen star and their future lineup looks weak. The last few games weren't exactly impressive either.

Comment

I wish only the future games to hit the Linux platform in time.

Comment

Wow this is great news.

Comment

Originally posted by aaaantoine View Post
                        5% is a significant number.

Are you paying attention, hardware manufacturers!?
                        NO! AMD DO NOT paying attention...

AMD realy think linux has only 1% max 2% ...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzUzNQ

"With Mystic Mine, a majority of the gamers are running Mac OS X (42%) followed by Linux with 34% while Windows gamers only account for 23% of the sales."
                        Last edited by Qaridarium; 09-15-2009, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium View Post
                          NO! AMD DO NOT paying attention...

AMD realy think linux has only 1% max 2% ...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzUzNQ

"With Mystic Mine, a majority of the gamers are running Mac OS X (42%) followed by Linux with 34% while Windows gamers only account for 23% of the sales."
                          The numbers can be higher due to a lack in game competition for Linux. That doesn't mean that those figures aren't significant though, because they are real, and even when there are more Linux games the percentage will probably continue to climb even in the face of inter-game competition since the number of Linux users will increase. That's because the main thing keeping Linux down is the growing but still smaller software selection, and the few issues with it here and there even though it's largely usually easier to use than those other alternative OSes. ^^

Comment

This is of course good news. At least with TTimos statement quoted, this could actually be real!
                            (Note: since the Linux Steam client fiasco, I'm a little bit suspicious about Phoronix gaming articles in general)

Lets all hope, that TTimo will be in touch with id for a long time to come.

Comment

That's wonderful news. It's too bad we couldn't get Wolfenstein, but I am really looking forward to Rage TTimo ftw

Comment

Working...
                              X