No announcement yet.

Good News, id Tech 5 Is Likely Coming To Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would instantly buy it if there was a Linux version.
    I'm not really interested in it enough right now to buy a Windows version.

If there isn't a Linux version, I'll probably only buy it once it's $20 or less on Steam.

Comment

• I remember the days of wonderful story-driven games like Hovertank 3d, Wolfenstein 3d, Doom, Quake, Doom2, Quake2 (crash! Defeat the Makron! Jump on the crates! Pick up a weapon!) with strong character development and a social commentary.

Now they've ruined it. Instead of a mixture of puzzles, musical interludes, and economic critique, we get a game where you run around and shoot monsters.

ID, you have betrayed us! This is NOT what we expected!

Comment

• As long as it still uses OpenGL just use wine. There is no real performance penalty when you play those games, like Doom 3 via wine worked very soon after release at normal speed. D3D games will get much slower, but OpenGL can be mapped 1:1 and therefore it should not be more than 1-2% difference.

Comment

• Well, right now though most people can't actually play this game. There are bugs in it that make it unplayable (game freezes completely every 3 seconds). Everyone's waiting for a patch.

How ironic, given that "Bethesda" now appears next to id's logo. Ha ha!

Comment

• i've been thinking Rage does use steamworks for networking and few other stuff, does this mean that rage port to linux is pretty much a dead end?

Comment

• Originally posted by Setlec View Post
              i've been thinking Rage does use steamworks for networking and few other stuff, does this mean that rage port to linux is pretty much a dead end?
              Yes, Rage uses Steamworks - activation via Steam and multiplayer via Steam

Comment

• slashdot had an article some time ago about Steam on Linux. I don't think Rage's use of Steam is necessarily an unsolvable problem. But, I'm not holding my breath for the Linux port. I'd really like to see a demo first.

Comment

• They could just make the linux version SP only until Valve releases Steam for linux

Comment

• Originally posted by Max Spain View Post
                    They could just make the linux version SP only until Valve releases Steam for linux
                    probably a deal breaker for me, I played quake 3 & 4 online practically all the time. I think I only realized that one or the other actually had some levels when I was testing my opengl setup. In fact, I haven't read much, or maybe anything, about Rage's online play. I know there's a level editor, so that bodes well for CTF and ridiculous deathmatches, but I haven't even seen a screenshot. Anyone playing online on a console or windows PC?

Comment

• Originally posted by wantedtosay View Post
                      slashdot had an article some time ago about Steam on Linux. I don't think Rage's use of Steam is necessarily an unsolvable problem. But, I'm not holding my breath for the Linux port. I'd really like to see a demo first.
                      any link that you could provide?

Comment

Working...
                      X