Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

iD bought by ZeniMax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
    Do you really believe press releases? Buy-outs almost never go the way the press release states, just look at what happened to Bioware yesterday. They were dissolved and merged with Mythic to form EA's new RPG division.

    If this buy-out goes the way id's site states it might be a good thing as id will basically be self publishing, but until someone at id says something publicly about source releases and ports, I wouldn't plan on anything.
    Ahem, EA basically placed Mythic under Bioware's supervision is what happened. More here http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic....83419&forum=41

    On-topic i don't see much in common between EA and Zenimax, the latter seems to have a much more hands-off approach regarding their studios. It might affect the open-sourcing of future ID engines though, but who knows at this point, probably not even John Carmack.
    Now Bethesda is a very good company imo that supports their games throughout their lifecycle not to mention the exceptional modding tools that they release with their games that helped create the excellent modding community they have. Granted Oblivion felt more like a sandbox rather than a real game, but add some of the community mods and the game world becomes a lot less stale.(I believe the game is that way by design). In any case playing Bethesda games on the console forces you to miss out on half the fun, so i wouldn't call that console friendly. They just develop for consoles as well these days as they are such a big market. As for Obsidian , besides beeing published by Atari their track record is anything but exceptional(particularly when talking about bugs). NWN2 is much more focused and less ambitious game than than ES3 and FO3, and build on established tools. But despite that it was a lot more buggy on release and still is buggy to a large degree.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
      NWN2 is much more focused and less ambitious game than than ES3 and FO3, and build on established tools. But despite that it was a lot more buggy on release and still is buggy to a large degree.
      NWN2 was a complete rewrite, everything from engine to tools were built from the ground up for it (or at least essentially re-wrote).
      Last edited by deanjo; 06-25-2009, 01:31 PM. Reason: added rephase in brackets

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Raven3x7 View Post
        Ahem, EA basically placed Mythic under Bioware's supervision is what happened. More here http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic....83419&forum=41

        On-topic i don't see much in common between EA and Zenimax, the latter seems to have a much more hands-off approach regarding their studios. It might affect the open-sourcing of future ID engines though, but who knows at this point, probably not even John Carmack.
        Now Bethesda is a very good company imo that supports their games throughout their lifecycle not to mention the exceptional modding tools that they release with their games that helped create the excellent modding community they have. Granted Oblivion felt more like a sandbox rather than a real game, but add some of the community mods and the game world becomes a lot less stale.(I believe the game is that way by design). In any case playing Bethesda games on the console forces you to miss out on half the fun, so i wouldn't call that console friendly. They just develop for consoles as well these days as they are such a big market. As for Obsidian , besides beeing published by Atari their track record is anything but exceptional(particularly when talking about bugs). NWN2 is much more focused and less ambitious game than than ES3 and FO3, and build on established tools. But despite that it was a lot more buggy on release and still is buggy to a large degree.
        I myself liked oblivion, but im not a dedicated rpg fan. Many established long time fans of the genre didnt like oblivion, saying it was too generic, too console friendly, fps with rpg elements and not an actual rpg, etc. I liked vanilla oblivion, but many say that it needs 30 or more gigs of mods to be a good interesting game. Techincally wise, the game is buggy. You can't alt-tab in oblivion without it crashing, for example. Like it was said, it's unclear what will the future be now for both of Zenimax's wholly owned studios, bethesda and id. Do they now own all id's source code? I hope not.

        Comment


        • #19
          @Raven3x7

          Don't even talk about bugs please. When I play Fallout 3 it sometimes returns to desktop few times per hour. Oblivion doesn't even start (some people recommend fresh xp install especially for it xd)! Bethesda makes the most buggy games... Fallout 3 interface reminds me consoles and each B game is more simplified then previous one (when comes to their fantasy titles and RPG system) which is console like behavior. NWN2 is definitely more ambitious then ES3 - wonderful D&D. However it sometimes reminds me hack and slash Btw. ES3, ES4 and F3 are great games in my opinion.
          Last edited by kraftman; 06-27-2009, 02:46 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by KDesk View Post
            Will they still publish id Tech 4 under the GPL?
            well we will have to wait until rage would be release (next year) to see a possible GPL release. since Wolfenstein is using idtech4 v1.4 (the v1 means the original code (doom 3) and 4 means Id's 4th game with code modification).

            Comment


            • #21
              If it means Bethesda can use idTech and stop paying for Gamebryo, this might be a major step up for Elder Scrolls. Then again, I still feel that Morrowind was much better than Oblivion and Oblivion With Guns.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                @Raven3x7

                Don't even talk about bugs please. When I play Fallout 3 it sometimes returns to desktop few times per hour. Oblivion doesn't even start (some people recommend fresh xp install especially for it xd)! Bethesda makes the most buggy games... Fallout 3 interface reminds me consoles and each B game is more simplified then previous one (when comes to their fantasy titles and RPG system) which is console like behavior. NWN2 is definitely more ambitious then ES3 - wonderful D&D. However it sometimes reminds me hack and slash Btw. ES3, ES4 and F3 are great games in my opinion.
                Are you seriously expecting depth and substance from a company owned by Jerry Bruckheimer?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                  Are you seriously expecting depth and substance from a company owned by Jerry Bruckheimer?
                  I do not know the guy

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by kraftman View Post
                    I do not know the guy
                    He's the brain trust behind CSI, CSI: New York, and CSI: Miami. Long running American television shows that are known for a lack of depth and substance. Movies he's produced have also been known for being shallow and lacking of any substance.

                    If you need a picture of all that is soulless and wrong with producers, he is your man. And now his game publishing company owns id software.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Where do you get that jerry bruckheimer owns Zenimax? I can't find any info about that.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I don't think he owns it, but he's on the board of directors. The board pretty well screams "entertainment industry" (the CEOs of CBS and MGM are on it as well), which honestly makes me wonder if the main point was to somehow secure movie/TV rights for future id games.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by yogi_berra View Post
                          He's the brain trust behind CSI, CSI: New York, and CSI: Miami. Long running American television shows that are known for a lack of depth and substance. Movies he's produced have also been known for being shallow and lacking of any substance.

                          If you need a picture of all that is soulless and wrong with producers, he is your man. And now his game publishing company owns id software.
                          while he has worked on alot of aweful stuff, he's actually worked on some very good movies as well.

                          sad as it is to say, i think he understand consumers - and as awefull as i think CSI and all the spinnoffs have become, they've always done pretty well in ratings.

                          all that aside - anyone claiming the Elderscrolls series as a whole is lacking in depth and substance is crazy.. at least in my opinion.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Morrowind is good, the rest not so much with Oblivion falling out of the scale at the bottom.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                              Morrowind is good, the rest not so much with Oblivion falling out of the scale at the bottom.
                              i definately think morrowind was the best, and though i don't really like the whole level scaling direction they went with oblivion, i still think it is a good game.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                The level-with-you is one problem, the cranked up combat system another. In Morrowind you could actually pull off different attacks ( stab, slash in two ways ) and it had an influence ( stab with speer is great, slash with speer is weak ). In Oblivion is like rolling a D20 with 20 being the only value where you actually do what you want it to do :/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X