Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

about Id Tech4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • about Id Tech4

    i was wondering about when Id software would release the game engine as GPL or LGPL... and i was wondering about the features that could be released, like megatexture as used in ETQW...

    Cheers

  • #2
    Originally posted by Setlec View Post
    i was wondering about when Id software would release the game engine as GPL or LGPL... and i was wondering about the features that could be released, like megatexture as used in ETQW...

    Cheers
    IIRC 6 years after release is the trend meaning not until 2010.

    Comment


    • #3
      ETQW' megatexture tech was borrowed from tech5. you wont see etqw open sourced for a very long time if at all.

      Comment


      • #4
        And in the end it's not even anything new. Most probably there are others but games like Trespasser had already a mega-texture style terrain engine... and this had been in the old era of gaming.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
          And in the end it's not even anything new. Most probably there are others but games like Trespasser had already a mega-texture style terrain engine... and this had been in the old era of gaming.
          But are those you mention 100% GPL?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by deanjo View Post
            IIRC 6 years after release is the trend meaning not until 2010.
            They dont have a fixed time period. For quake 1 it was 3 years after it was released. For quake 2 it was 4 years after. Quake 3 was 6 years after, but only because at last moment a company bought a license for it, so they had to delay the GPL release. They might annouce a GPL release this quakecon, it's already been 5 years and no one AFAIK is buying a license.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              ETQW' megatexture tech was borrowed from tech5. you wont see etqw open sourced for a very long time if at all.
              Hmm, source for that? I think megatexture was made by carmack specifically for ETQW, which is based in idtech4. On id's technology licensing site, they say that all idtech4 licensors get the full source code of doom3, quake4, AND ETQW, so the entire megatexture thing might be included. It'd be pretty awesome if it did.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                Hmm, source for that? I think megatexture was made by carmack specifically for ETQW, which is based in idtech4. On id's technology licensing site, they say that all idtech4 licensors get the full source code of doom3, quake4, AND ETQW, so the entire megatexture thing might be included. It'd be pretty awesome if it did.
                it was actually an old pre-release ETQW video from splash damage as i recall. Its been a few years so don't expect me to go looking for it XD. If what i believe is right and its a similar technology to whats seen in Tech5, its a much more primitive assessment as rage levels can be much larger.

                all and all, SD/ID put lipstick on a pig, but that pig died of swine flu. The ETQW megatexture is essentially only a modeled terrain as i recall. If i remember correctly from SD forums its either OBJ or LWO and then its painted. I never got into the mapping side of ETQW because few people have the time to produce something decent of that scale by themselves.

                But hey, it might be some decent code for you folks to look at should megatexture code be released.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Mega-Texture is as the name says: a huge texture ( we talk here of dimensions like 40'000 x 40'000 ). The terrain there is a huge unwrapped triangle mesh ( they did this so they can do some minor overhangs without requiring separate meshes ). The texture is a pixel map split into tons of segments streamed in at runtime ( using John special compression ). It's in fact a brute force version of what Trespasser did ( did not store MTs on disk but generated them at run-time from special meshes ) which is why they can not do large terrains ( and with large I mean up to things like 40km of terrain ). As you could easily math out 40k texels over 40km means 1 texel per 1m squared ( ouch! ). Disc consumption is tremendous for small levels compared to less free form solutions. Hope this sheds some light on it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    dont even get me started on downloading the poor buggers

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X