about Id Tech4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
    true, they only said it was a goal if all goes well.

but SD worked on it, SD did the original enemy territory and thats open sourced isn't it?

SD also mad the DOOM3 multi-player (although seriously lacking, it exists).
    Only the original technology, id tech 3 (quake 3) which powered all those games has been GPL'ed. The derivative games are still closed. Actually, there are quake3 and enemy territory mods which are still closed source to this day, like Urban Terror for Q3 and True Combat for enemy territory. id tech 4 will definitely be GPL'ed, probably announced this quakecon, but i dont know about the derivative games from it. (quake 4, ETWQ, etc)

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
      probably announced this quakecon
      Do you have any reason to believe that or is it just a shot in the dark?

Comment

Originally posted by Naib View Post
        SD did do ET, but it is released under their own licence (RTCW-ETEULA), free but not that kind of free, plus ET was a mod on RTCW
        confirmed. It is infact a custom license.

Comment

From my understanding the release of code for RTCW:ET isn't "Open Source" by the definition of the term. It doesn't include all the code for it, just parts of it IIRC. And also the license prohibits things like commercial use of it. That makes it not Open Source according to the official OSI Open Source definition.

Comment

Originally posted by Setlec View Post
            i was wondering about when Id software would release the game engine as GPL or LGPL... and i was wondering about the features that could be released, like megatexture as used in ETQW...

Cheers
            The only timeline I've seen was "sometime after the last game is released" the last game being the new Wolfenstein game. Also remember that if someone licenses the engine after the release of the Wolfenstein game and before the gpl release, Carmack will be polite and wait a while longer (as he did when id tech 3 was released under the gpl).

Megatexture is available in Doom 3 but is more Proof of Concept than anything else<1>. You'd have to do a lot of work to make it a viable alternative to tiled terrain. The real question should be how much of the sound architecture will be ripped out because of the deal with Creative?

<1> http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Mega...logy_Mod;80169
            Last edited by yogi_berra; 05-14-2009, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
              Somewhere between the two. He annouced last quakecon that it was going to be released "sometime", and they usually make their big annoucements at quakecons.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradreth View Post
                Heh... That's a guesstimate on xav1r's part there. A good one, to be sure- but still a guesstimate.

Mr. Carmack did publicly state (and at last Quakecon) that it would be GPLed- he just couldn't commit to a firm timeline other than more sooner than later. Typically, iD likes to make the big announcements of this nature and demos of new things like Rage at Quakecon each year. It'll be this or next Quakecon, most likely, that they'll announce it. If they don't have any new licensees within the last 8 or so months on it, we'll likely see it this year, if not, probably next.

The fact of the matter is, you'll either find out from Here (Either through Michael Larabel being there or myself in the forums... (I live in the DFW area...)) or you'll find out from LinuxGames.com. Maybe this year, maybe next...

Comment

is there really a point when we have xreal? I know xreal is a pain in the 455 to compile but she runs mighty fast with a similar fetureset.

Comment

I doubt xreal has a similar feature set... not even remotely.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                      Heh... That's a guesstimate on xav1r's part there. A good one, to be sure- but still a guesstimate.

Mr. Carmack did publicly state (and at last Quakecon) that it would be GPLed- he just couldn't commit to a firm timeline other than more sooner than later. Typically, iD likes to make the big announcements of this nature and demos of new things like Rage at Quakecon each year. It'll be this or next Quakecon, most likely, that they'll announce it. If they don't have any new licensees within the last 8 or so months on it, we'll likely see it this year, if not, probably next.

The fact of the matter is, you'll either find out from Here (Either through Michael Larabel being there or myself in the forums... (I live in the DFW area...)) or you'll find out from LinuxGames.com. Maybe this year, maybe next...
                      I think last time there was an id release, the id tech 3 one, carmack announced the release and the next day it occured. I think he annouced the quake3 code would be out in a 19 of August, and the source code release was on the 20th of august.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
                        is there really a point when we have xreal? I know xreal is a pain in the 455 to compile but she runs mighty fast with a similar fetureset.
                        I'd have to concur with Dragonlord. XReal's got potential, but it's not the same class of engine (and won't be for some time yet to come...sorry...) as what iD's likely to hand us if they hand us the new one this year or next.

Comment

*sigh* I only wish they hadn't turned to C++ with tech4

Comment

What do you mean with that? You can't make a "really" serious game engine ( with all the bling and still fast ) without C/C++/Asm.

Comment

Nothing against C/asm. It's just that tech3 was in C, for 4 they moved to C++.

Comment

And what's the problem with that move? After all C++ is simply C with a couple of extensions. The only thing that can happen is that people get lost in STL/template diddy-dadly :P

Comment

Working...
                                X