Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

According to iD, Quake Live for Linux/MacOS are "Top Priority"...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

QuakeLive uses its own browser plugin. It's not flash, unity, or through ActiveX.

Comment

Originally posted by leilei View Post
      QuakeLive uses its own browser plugin. It's not flash, unity, or through ActiveX.
      There might be an Active-X plugin (it does work through IE, after all...), but there's also a Firefox plugin that seems to be packaged with an installer .msi for the plugin for the game. This translates into an installer of some sort that'd be for Firefox and anything that supports Firefox plugins on Linux.

If you're wondering, I tried to fire it up on my XP reference setup just now. I'm interested in seeing the Linux version on my machines.

To be sure, what I've seen is not proof they'll carry through, but...

(Speaking of Carrying Through... If you wanted Caster for Linux, your wait isn't much longer. )

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
        Again I have no idea how ID is going to implement something like this.
        It's a plugin-ized version of the Q3:Arena engine- and it has nothing to do with Unity3D, which is a competing game engine product.

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
          It's a plugin-ized version of the Q3:Arena engine- and it has nothing to do with Unity3D, which is a competing game engine product.
          yes yes i know. but u basically got the plugin idea. so if its a browser plugin that works with firefox why is activex a big issue?

Comment

ActiveX is one big wormhole... Hmm it seems that mozilla activex has not been updated since 2005:
            http://www.iol.ie/~locka/mozilla/mozilla.htm
            http://kb.mozillazine.org/ActiveX
            Some windows program through wine needs that, can't remember which.

Editops I didnt read first post of the thread...
            Last edited by tuke81; 05-05-2009, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by L33F3R View Post
              yes yes i know. but u basically got the plugin idea. so if its a browser plugin that works with firefox why is activex a big issue?
              Active-X is a plugin architecture but in the end it's nothing else but a plugin for a browser, aka IE in this case. The main problem is to have a plugin in the first place. It doesn't matter if it's Active-X or NSPlugin or whatever. The problem is that plugins in general for Windows are not compatible with Linux and Linux only Firefox and Mozilla really use the NSPlugin architecture. And even this architecture is ground for many problems since it's more hacked together than working ( I just say Java 64-bit drama ). So using a plugin in a browser alone is a trouble-maker for getting on Linux.

Comment

Then buy Q3A if you don't trust the plugin concept.

Comment

This is not about trust leilei. Please read correctly before attacking people out of the blue.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                    So using a plugin in a browser alone is a trouble-maker for getting on Linux.
                    Also I see absolutely no point in running a game in a webbrowser if it still needs a plugin to be downloaded and installed. I thought the nice thing about browser-games was supposed to be their ability to be played anywhere, on any pc, with any os, as long as it's got a webbrowser.
                    Might just as well make it a stand-alone binary then.

Comment

This is not about trust leilei. Please read correctly before attacking people out of the blue.
                      You'll get used to out of the blue attacks from leilei. Trust me.

Comment

Pardon, but isn't it possible for Java to have hardware-accelerated OpenGL?

I've seen 3d engines written in Java around; but maybe there's a difference in running as an applet in a browser vs on the full java stack?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                          Pardon, but isn't it possible for Java to have hardware-accelerated OpenGL?

I've seen 3d engines written in Java around; but maybe there's a difference in running as an applet in a browser vs on the full java stack?
                          But java is slow, and , all around crap. I think its only used in mobile phone games.

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                            You'll get used to out of the blue attacks from leilei. Trust me.
                            Don't worry. I know leilei ( aka CheapAlert ) from ModDB ( since v1 even if I did not have an active account yet back then ) since a long time. He's random at times so you need to point it out

Comment

Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                              But java is slow, and , all around crap. I think its only used in mobile phone games.
                              Mobile games is another story. At a IGDA Chapter meeting we had once a talk of somebody active in the mobile phone game/app creation and he explained well where the fuck is in all this. Java is only one solution there and not even as standardized as one wishes for. Jet though it's one of the better solutions ( like more less standard as the rest :P ).

Comment

Active-X is a plugin architecture but in the end it's nothing else but a plugin for a browser, aka IE in this case. The main problem is to have a plugin in the first place. It doesn't matter if it's Active-X or NSPlugin or whatever. The problem is that plugins in general for Windows are not compatible with Linux and Linux only Firefox and Mozilla really use the NSPlugin architecture. And even this architecture is ground for many problems since it's more hacked together than working ( I just say Java 64-bit drama ). So using a plugin in a browser alone is a trouble-maker for getting on Linux.
                                that just about educated me.
                                thx a bunch

Comment

Working...
                                X