No announcement yet.

The Future Of UT3 On Linux Appears Uncertain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

leave it Epic to promptly forget what made UT2k3 / UT2k4 a success. As a platform, Linux draws more programmer types than Windows, and many of the more successful modifications for UT2k3 / UT2k4 were produced on Linux systems. Coming from someone who hung around sites like BeyondUnreal and NaliCity on a near unhealthy basis, to my eyes it was an uncommon sight to see somebody who had produced their map / skin / mod on a Microsoft platform.

When UT3 launched, I remembered several forum threads from modders would wait for the Linux client and production tools rather than having to change up their production systems. I could be wrong, but I think Epic somehow managed to miss figuring out where their content creators were at... and from the activity of the UT3 mod scene since launch, it seems that such a viewpoint is correct. While UT3 does have several quality maps available, and several quality modifications, the number of contributers has cut off sharply, and the game was not considered a success for Midway.

One of the big stories over the past month was the re-launch of UT3 on Steam and the addition of the Titan-Gamepack, whiich turned into a successful relaunch of the product.

However... maybe not coincidentally, at the same time Steam was pumping up the UT3 relaunch, Cedega was making UT3-win playable on Linux. Now, if Cedega does their job right, tracking information obtained about a computer from a game developer or publisher should return would return a Windows compatiblity base... Only if Cedega, Wine, or Crossover screw something up will publishers suddenly get an idea of just how many people are not using Windows... exampling the sudden number of people playing City of Heroes on Windows 98 systems, and NCSoft's subsequent hiring of Transgaming for an official Mac Port.

While I don't have any hard information to state that Cedega's playability of UT3 on Linux was responsible for the turn-around in sales and subsequent re-interest in Epics game... I do think the empirical sales and community participation information that IS available indicates that Epic screwed up on their platform support.

Comment

Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Svartalf your next on the list. :P
      Heh... Could be worse, I suppose...

Comment

Originally posted by acreda View Post
        reading in to Epic's reply, I can't help thinking that this situation will constantly hinder ports until the big game companies get skills in-house. Fresh blood is needed in the Linux gaming scene, Ryan does do good work but he is only one man and I'm pretty sure he is not thinking about living/doing this forever...
        Heh... Who knows what brought this about. It's very, very much unlike Ryan to have issues this long... Part of the "fresh blood" problem is that you need to have people willing to pay you to do it, be flush with cash, or do it as a side venture (*waves hand in the air...*). Unless you can find one of those three situations and be willing to live with them- you're probably not going to want to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by eokiahn View Post
          At this point, I highly doubt we'll ever see the Linux client. I think the most important question is: when/if it's released, will anyone still care?
          Heh... Does much of anyone care right now?

Comment

Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
            I do.... For benchmarking
            Michael Larabel
            https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Heh... Who knows what brought this about. It's very, very much unlike Ryan to have issues this long... Part of the "fresh blood" problem is that you need to have people willing to pay you to do it, be flush with cash, or do it as a side venture (*waves hand in the air...*). Unless you can find one of those three situations and be willing to live with them- you're probably not going to want to do it.
              I'm really starting to think that possibly an arrangement was made with Ryan, so much up front during development and the rest upon completion with Epic deciding after the poor sales it wasn't worthwhile for them to pay Ryan for completion of the job, thus no release of the client and their current struggles trying to update the server to 2.0.

Comment

I do. UT3 was a blast to play. It just wasn't enough of a blast to justify logging into Windows.

Comment

I don't care anymore. I won't buy it if it comes out. Just let it die.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    I do.... For benchmarking
                    Heh... About like Rage will be for "benchmarking", right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonlord View Post
                      I heard UT3 likes players to have SM with GameSpy ( Yes! I want to register again! Do it! )
                      I was at a LAN some time ago when Steam had the free UT3 weekend. We all got the 8GB download and installed. The guy who had it done first tried it out and it worked. When he went to use it a second time he discovered that UT3 had discarded all of his settings because he did not log in with GameSpy. Even though it was free NOBODY played it. That's just sad

Comment

Working...
                      X