Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Game Being Ported To Linux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Another Game Being Ported To Linux

    Phoronix: Another Game Being Ported To Linux

    Albeit an "Indie game", Caster is being ported to Linux. This announcement was made on our very own forums...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=NzA4MQ

  • #2
    Quake Live which is getting to open beta stage in 2-3 days is being ported to Linux, too, as we speak. I've been playing the closed beta on Windows for some time now and this is a game many people are & will be playing.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Quake Live which is getting to open beta stage in 2-3 days is being ported to Linux, too, as we speak. I've been playing the closed beta on Windows for some time now and this is a game many people are & will be playing.

      Yea, I also partecipated to the closed beta testing and I was really impressed about it.

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm also got a beta key for quake-live but I won't play it till the native Linux port is available.

        Comment


        • #5
          There seems to be an ongoing port of it to a Linux-based device, Pandora:

          http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=46813

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by timofonic View Post
            There seems to be an ongoing port of it to a Linux-based device, Pandora:

            http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showtopic=46813
            Heh... It's to Linux with Pandora being one of the explicitly supported configurations of the same.

            I'm one of the people that has one of their second generation dev boards and I've been doing firmware testing for them. (About to step up and do a bit more than that, but that's a differing discussion...)

            Comment


            • #7
              Heyy.
              Thats good..... I also going to contribute to the closed beta testing and it makes me really much impressed.I was really impressed about it.

              Comment


              • #8
                I also have the Quake Live beta-key and have registered. But... they were nice enough to tell me I was wasting my time. *shrugs*

                Comment


                • #9
                  Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate games coming to linux, but this...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MaestroMaus View Post
                    Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate games coming to linux, but this...
                    Heh...at least it IS coming to Linux. The same can't be said for other titles that were promised and then never were delivered for varying reasons.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      This Caster game is now available on Steam too. Interesting.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                        This Caster game is now available on Steam too. Interesting.
                        I can't comment on whether or not the Caster version on Steam indicates that there will be a Linux version of Steam. All I know is that Mike got a slot on Steam in addition to his current delivery mechanism. I'm sure I'll find out more details on things once we go Gold with it.

                        On a separate note: So far, there's only really been one really show-stopper type issue that's been reported with the beta testing (and that is getting looked into right now...). The others appear to be the typical simple stuff like blown dependencies, etc... (Anyone ever tells me "it works on my machine" as anything other than a half-joking or joking response I'm going to laugh in their face... ) It's looking good so far and you'll all have a good shot at getting your hands on it here very shortly.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                          I can't comment on whether or not the Caster version on Steam indicates that there will be a Linux version of Steam. All I know is that Mike got a slot on Steam in addition to his current delivery mechanism. I'm sure I'll find out more details on things once we go Gold with it.

                          On a separate note: So far, there's only really been one really show-stopper type issue that's been reported with the beta testing (and that is getting looked into right now...). The others appear to be the typical simple stuff like blown dependencies, etc... (Anyone ever tells me "it works on my machine" as anything other than a half-joking or joking response I'm going to laugh in their face... ) It's looking good so far and you'll all have a good shot at getting your hands on it here very shortly.
                          I doubt Caster being on steam means steam itself will be on linux. Gabe just hates linux, he is an ex microsoft employee, and he made his fortune with windows after all.

                          BTW, Svartalk, do you still take beta testers for Caster? I would be interested in trying this, and since im interested in trying the new openGL support in linux guests from Virtualbox, this could be a good way to try them both.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by xav1r View Post
                            I doubt Caster being on steam means steam itself will be on linux. Gabe just hates linux, he is an ex microsoft employee, and he made his fortune with windows after all.
                            He may hate Linux, but if the guys holding the purse strings tell him to do a Linux version, he'll bitch and moan- and then do a Linux version of Steam and/or port Source. Not that this has or will transpire that way.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Svartalf View Post
                              He may hate Linux, but if the guys holding the purse strings tell him to do a Linux version, he'll bitch and moan- and then do a Linux version of Steam and/or port Source. Not that this has or will transpire that way.
                              I am not convinced really. No offense of course Svartalf, you know you way around the industry way better then me/most of us. But Steam is thoroughly woven with Internet Explorer. A Linux/mac version would require a lot of rewriting.

                              The explicit choice for IE also makes me think they never wanted their shop to be cross platform. Any programmer with a bit of foresight would have known that choosing IE would limit that possibility.

                              Also, I am suspecting Steam to be riddled with bad code. It has the responsiveness of looking at a web page using less then 56kbps. Linux doesn't respond that well on bad code as Windows does so they'll have to clean that up aswell.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X